Grado SR60i vs. Sony MDR-V6
May 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #16 of 41
Well I've just been using a lawnmower with my in ear headphones (which don't exactly block a lot of noise) and I didn't mind the sound of the engine too much. I pretty much just mentally blocked it out.

Do the Grados let in a HUGE amount of noise when playing? Because if not then it isn't really that big a deal.

May 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #17 of 41
Where can you get the SR60s for £70? They're £90.
They might be at the same price range of the V6s in the US, but definitely not in Europe.

I think you should also consider the Creative Aurvana Live.

May 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
Where can you get the SR60s for £70? They're £90.
They might be at the same price range of the V6s in the US, but definitely not in Europe.

I think you should also consider the Creative Aurvana Live.

I'm actually looking at the Alessandro MS1i's which are modded sr60i's and they cost $100 with free shipping which equals about £60

May 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
Do the Grados let in a HUGE amount of noise when playing? Because if not then it isn't really that big a deal.

Yes, they do. And they also let a HUGE amount of sound leak out (at a normal listening volume, somebody in another room of my house can hear my music playing). For bus/train/airline travel, closed headphones or IEMs are the way to go.

May 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
Yes, they do. And they also let a HUGE amount of sound leak out (at a normal listening volume, somebody in another room of my house can hear my music playing). For bus/train/airline travel, closed headphones or IEMs are the way to go.

Yeah, I've had an ask around on various sites and it seems that closed phones are the choice for me

May 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 41
Please just get the V6s if you are going to be using them for transportation... I absolutely hate hearing someone's music when I'm trying to relax/sleep on the bus and I'm sure that other people are also annoyed by it.
I can't comment on the Grado but I do own the 7506s, which are practically identical to the V6s. I have no complaints aside from the sometimes harsh highs and small soundstage, they are also analytical so I'm sure they'll satisfy your need for detail.

May 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 41
The MDR V6: really full size, no; portable, yes; decent isolation, no.

SR60, Grados are open!

Other options: PX200 II, HD4x8-series, K518 (with or without inner foam pads!) and any other on- and around ear headphone with at least decent sound and decent isolation. 

Just some options...

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 41
OK this is an old thread, but just FYI I use the Grado SR-80I and I own the MDR-V6 and there's no comparison The V6 are so good you won't believe the difference. The Sony's are like being in the studio with the artists, and The Grado's are like listening to them in the audience in a large hall. Yes they both have highs that can be too splashy but it depends on how the music was mastered. When I normalize my music I use Sonic Foundry and The V6's are fantastic. The Grado's reproduce the sound with a large stage. The Grado's need an amplifier for really great sound. And don't believe all that open BS I ride a train and bus to work and if anyone hears it they don't say anything. I listen mainly to Alternative Rock and nobody at work can hear it more that a transistor radio and I play my music LOUD. Hopefully this helps a little.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #26 of 41
i have owned two pairs of Grado SR125's, and i still own two pairs of the sony mdr-v600's (cheaper version of the mdrv6).

sound - i like the Grado's better for sound, to me there's a lot more detail and they're very neutral. the mdrv600's are a bit boomy and woofy.

wear - grado's are light on the ear and head and so pleasant for extended listening. sony's are less comfortable and make your ears sweat. on top of that the well known sony flaking occurs after about 18 months where you suddenly realize you have peices of black plastic stuck to your skin.

spill - the grado's let in and bleed out a lot of sound. if somebody is in the room watching tv i can't use them. conversely if i listen to music everybody else hears them. sony's are closed back and don't have this problem

reliability - here is my real bugbear. i paid $150 for the Grado's and i have gotten through two pairs in 6 years. the problem is that the earpieces can rotate 360 degrees. over time the constant turning and unturning weakens and breaks the outer cable sheath near the Y connector (where the left and right combine into one cable), this exposes the inner cable to twisting and they finally break (both pairs i have had suffered this breakdown). both sony's i've had for 10+ years with no problems. now i use headphones every day to listen to music or watch tv after my kids have gone to bed so they get heavy usage. i've never taken the Grado's more than 10 feet from my stereo system, and yet, they've broken (twice).

so in conclusion, i love the sound of the Grado's but i hate the reliability. the sony's i don't like the sound as much, but i love the reliability. i would never take Grados out of the house.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #27 of 41
The sr60i was my first good headphone and in  my opinion it's one of the best values under 500 dollars.I would definetly go for the sr60i's sound wise, but mind you they leak a ton of sound.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 41
The practicality of the SR60 might not be your cup of tea, but as a Radiohead fan you owe yourself at least one play of OK Computer / Bends era music on some kind of Grado product. It's a game-changer, seriously. I vividly remember plugging my first SR60 into "Stop Whispering (U.S. Version)" on a crowded street outside Sound by Singer in Manhattan sometime in 2005. That moment and that absolute shift of all my audio priorities has stuck in me permanently.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
The practicality of the SR60 might not be your cup of tea, but as a Radiohead fan you owe yourself at least one play of OK Computer / Bends era music on some kind of Grado product. It's a game-changer, seriously. I vividly remember plugging my first SR60 into "Stop Whispering (U.S. Version)" on a crowded street outside Sound by Singer in Manhattan sometime in 2005. That moment and that absolute shift of all my audio priorities has stuck in me permanently.

Radiohead + Grados = bliss!

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #30 of 41
I have the V6 and the Grado SR80. I used to also have the SR60. The V6 sounds neutral and natural. The SR60 leaks sound like crazy and has a very unnatural and aggressive sound signature. Many might say wow when the first hear the SR60, but after a while the aggressive sound is very fatiguing.At times the highs on my SR60 were a bit painful.  I gave away the SR60. The SR80 is a bit better, but still not great. My V6 is 24 years old and still works fine, except that I did need to change the earpads once. The V6(as model 7506) is a favorite headphone of recording studios, radio stations, and tv and movie production since it is so durable and natural sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back