Grado SR60i or SR80i
Sep 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Danishlistener

New Head-Fier
I am new to headphones and don't have a lot of experience with them. I'm an allround listener and listen to music almost everywhere.

My current(broken) headphones are the Skullcrushers by Skullcandy - I was not satisfied with this pair at all. I am now looking at Grado's SR60i, but I can't decide if I should throw in another 30$ to get the SR80i. Does anyone have experience with both of these and can tell me the differences? How is the quality of bass? I'm a real fan of electronic music.

Would these headphones benefit from a portable amp?

I apreciate your help!
Danishlistener.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 17
Grado are nice for electonic, but they are open and bass weak

So, less bass and not so much isolation

I would say go ATH-M50's
But you seem to be on a budget

Get a pair of THESE

Look up the Monoprice review by keanex here. People were buying these and were happy at $55. Now $21 and a steal

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 17
Heya,

Get the Grado SR60i instead of the SR80i. Instead, use that $20 difference to get the L Cush pads. I have the SR60i and when I added the L cush pads, the bass just bloomed out, it was wonderful. It's amazing how much difference the pads make. The flat cush pads just let everything go everywhere and I didn't like that sound at all. But with the L cush pads, you get containment, and boom... the bass comes out the gates. It's great. For $100, the SR60i with L Cush pads are simply excellent. I listened to dub/edm on them and it did it with some authority. Then turned around and did some acoustic like I was there. Excellent phone. No need for an amp.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the great responds!

My budget would be somewhere between 120$ and 170$.

MalveauX - is it possible for a beginner to switch out the pads?

Heya,

Yes, the pads are literally just a formed foam that fits over a lip. All the pads work on all the phones. You can get Lcush or Gcush pads and throw them on any Grado. Simple as putting together legos my friend. But again, the Lcush are mandatory for any Grado, minimum, in my opinion. They're more comfortable than the flatties, and the sound is just ridiculously better with them. I don't know why they even put flat pads on any of them. For supreme comfort on a Grado, the G-cush pads are the way to go, it gets them off your ears. So if you're sensitive to on-ear headphone pressure, the Gcush pads would be a great way to alleviate that. I have both, and I like both, but I think I prefer the Gpads the most simply because I prefer full-size anyways.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the great responds!

My budget would be somewhere between 120$ and 170$.

MalveauX - is it possible for a beginner to switch out the pads?

There isn't much Grado pads out there.

IF you do have a higher budget, ATH-M50's would seem better since you use headphones everywhere. But then again, I use my Grado everywhere.

You have a choice of the Grado pads. S-cush, L-cush ang G-cush
Then you can get HD414 pad on them.

I would sat go SR60i because it has more bass. but compared to you SC SC, the bass quantity will not be anywhere near it, but the quality of the bass will be much better.

Spend the rest of your money on a source like a Clip+

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
There isn't much Grado pads out there.

IF you do have a higher budget, ATH-M50's would seem better since you use headphones everywhere. But then again, I use my Grado everywhere.

You have a choice of the Grado pads. S-cush, L-cush ang G-cush
Then you can get HD414 pad on them.

I would sat go SR60i because it has more bass. but compared to you SC SC, the bass quantity will not be anywhere near it, but the quality of the bass will be much better.

Spend the rest of your money on a source like a Clip+

I will bug this forum a bit the next few days, while im taking in knowledge! :)

a Clip+ would be?

Thanks for info on pads, I tink ill go for the L-cush as you started off recommending.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I will bug this forum a bit the next few days, while im taking in knowledge! :)

a Clip+ would be?

Thanks for info on pads, I tink ill go for the L-cush as you started off recommending.

Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Zip is new and nice

I like to clip them to the Grado cable after wearing it like a necklace.

The L-cush can be uncomfortable for some. I like the standard S-cush myself. Some people also say there is more bass from the S-cush.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

The L-cush can be uncomfortable for some. I like the standard S-cush myself. Some people also say there is more bass from the S-cush.

Ill take a look into those

Thanks a lot for the useful replies!

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

I kinda want a Sansa now, what a handy little setup!

Yeah get the 60's with the pads, bowls make them look pretty cool imo, haven't ever used comfies for more than a week with new Grados (til the bowls shipped hehe)

They're less scratchier and don't make your ears sweat as much too... enjoy whatever Grado you get though!

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks buddy! 
I ordered my Grado SR60i online - now I'm searching for an international shop which delivers pads.
you reckon I should buy several pads at once? in case they break(dont know how durable they are)

Cheers
Danishlistener

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Thanks buddy! 
I ordered my Grado SR60i online - now I'm searching for an international shop which delivers pads.
you reckon I should buy several pads at once? in case they break(dont know how durable they are)

Cheers
Danishlistener

They should not break too easily, you might want to try the three different types first and see which is your favourite.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 17
if you are into electronic avoid Grados like the plague. Having had the sr80-i and like electronic and now having the rs2 and still like electronic I can safely say that Grados are to electronic as cats are to water. Look into the sony Xb700's, seriously. later get an amp for them and the difference is just un-real.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
if you are into electronic avoid Grados like the plague. Having had the sr80-i and like electronic and now having the rs2 and still like electronic I can safely say that Grados are to electronic as cats are to water. Look into the sony Xb700's, seriously. later get an amp for them and the difference is just un-real.

Now I've heard that the Grado SR60i play electronic music wonderfully when the pad is replaced with a L-pad, and you're telling my Grado sucks bigtime.

Which opinion should I trust?

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Your ears.

Best option is to try them first before buying. Different people, different opinions.

If you can't try them, then do some research, dig up and read some threads.

If this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjNmyzrVvM&ob=av2e is electronic, then the Grado can play it

but ! I think you'll be better off with a Sony XB headphone. Sony Xb500/700/1000. Bass hits harder. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back