Grado SR325is vs Alessandro MS2i
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 30
Well if you want to be exact the MS2 should be an MS2is these days. I think they just take whatever Grado gives them and modifies them from there. They just don't bother changing the model name like Grado does. And they're usually pretty up to date. The first MS2 I purchased earlier this year had the chrome look that the 325is was sporting at the same time. The newer one I just bought last month already had the most current matte grey look that Grado had just switched to a month or two ago. While I can't say for certain if the internals match the latest Grado, at least the cups do.

-Ben

Quote:
Also, on alesandro's website I don't see a specific mention to the MS2i it only states MS2.  Should I assume that it's the newer version?  T

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 30
That's comforting to know at least.  I contacted Alessandro to confirm that they are now shipping the non-chrome version and they stated that they are not shipping the chrome.  They called the current finish a "special silver sparkle".  I'm getting excited to order these tomorrow :)-we'll they're actually a present from my girlfriend :)

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 30
ROFL. "Special silver sparkle" eh? I originally thought the sparkle would give the cups a gritty feel to them but they were surprisingly perfectly smooth.

Quote:
That's comforting to know at least.  I contacted Alessandro to confirm that they are now shipping the non-chrome version and they stated that they are not shipping the chrome.  They called the current finish a "special silver sparkle".  I'm getting excited to order these tomorrow :)-we'll they're actually a present from my girlfriend :)

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 30
225i terminates in a 1/4 inch.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #21 of 30
MS2i vs SR325is: go for the MS2i for all the reasons mentioned.  Much more balanced headphone IMO.  Not so shreikworthy highs. 
smile_phones.gif

I don't think most Grados need an amp to shine.  But I have found that a little more power can help with the low end.  But you don't have to spend a lot of money to find this out.  And a good tube amp can help with the highs.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 30
IMHO opinion, I side with the early stellar reviews of the 325i that Johnny G posted up as his official reviews
on the Grado website.

Everyone is split into two schools of thinking, one say that the MS2i/325i will run out of almost anything
(true) and that a decent rig provides micro improvement, if that. I'm in the second camp after lashing out
and getting a decent setup. They love big current and will smooth out very nicely, the bass on my pair
now is big ~ almost too big on bowls. On flats, it's just unbearable.

Great DAC + Excellent solid state = perfect 325i experience, they maintain the speed and soften without
losing their natural hard attacking edge.

I've heard mine out of a Eddie Current Xana Deux ~ too liquid for my taste but it did convert a few
non believers who were HD800 owners. The clarity did surprise them, they expected to hear
an SR60i sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 30
Figured this was the place to ask about it. I'm upgrading to either the MS2i or SR325i in the near future. No one I know likes Grados so I bought my MS1i completely on a whim. What's life without the risks right? Anyways, I love them so when I have the $300 to drop, I'm going with either of the two mentioned above. I recently picked up an Essence STX for $90 and even at that price, it threw my budget off but it was too great a deal to pass up, especially new. I wont have the cash to play around with for an amp for at least six months so that said, how will the SR325i or MS2i sound from the Essence STX?

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Figured this was the place to ask about it. I'm upgrading to either the MS2i or SR325i in the near future. No one I know likes Grados so I bought my MS1i completely on a whim. What's life without the risks right? Anyways, I love them so when I have the $300 to drop, I'm going with either of the two mentioned above. I recently picked up an Essence STX for $90 and even at that price, it threw my budget off but it was too great a deal to pass up, especially new. I wont have the cash to play around with for an amp for at least six months so that said, how will the SR325i or MS2i sound from the Essence STX?

Good choice, I ran mine out of a stock Essence STX for awhile - then I teamed it with a locally made solid state
amp known as the 'Counterpoint. Cut a long story short, it was a little bright with some material and I did find
myself using a few notches of EQ to bring down the 2Khz and 4Khz points by a few Db, nothing major.

One thing though upon reflection that would've been good is 'op-amp' rolling the STX ~ you can get these little
chips and swap them out ~ this will effectively give you a sound signature change. The STX will have the grunt
to amplify them nicely, all you need is some warmer op-amps to tame the 325i's a tad.

Alternatively, get the MS2i and the sound should be quite nice out of the box with the Essence.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #25 of 30

Quote:
Good choice, I ran mine out of a stock Essence STX for awhile - then I teamed it with a locally made solid state
amp known as the 'Counterpoint. Cut a long story short, it was a little bright with some material and I did find
myself using a few notches of EQ to bring down the 2Khz and 4Khz points by a few Db, nothing major.

One thing though upon reflection that would've been good is 'op-amp' rolling the STX ~ you can get these little
chips and swap them out ~ this will effectively give you a sound signature change. The STX will have the grunt
to amplify them nicely, all you need is some warmer op-amps to tame the 325i's a tad.

Alternatively, get the MS2i and the sound should be quite nice out of the box with the Essence.

I haven't spent much time researching what I'm going to replace the stock op-amps with as of yet. Blasted holidays eating up my free time. In any case, probably not the best place to ask but any suggestion or should I base that choice with whatever pair I go with?

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 30
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #28 of 30
^^^

Black Sabbath?  Judas Priest?  Motorhead?  Iron Maiden?  Bad Co?  Led Zeppelin?  The Who?  MS2i's.  Harsh/shrill highs are harsh/shrill highs no matter the music IMO.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #30 of 30
Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm in the exact same spot. I'm deciding on the 325i or the MS-2. 
From what I've read on here, the 325's are very forward in presenting their highs and can be fatiguing, yes? So obviously the MS-2's are toned down compared to that?
What is the major difference in soundstage? From earlier posts, it seems as if the 325's are more intimate, but the MS-2's have greater soundstage, excuse my question, but what does that mean?
How is the bass impact on both of these cans? I'm not a bass head, but I do love a solid foundation.
Basically, what are the key differences between these cans, and do you have recommendations either way?
I'd be driving them out of a Fiio E17. 
Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: And, are the cups on the MS-2 solid metal? Are do they turn into plastic and are covered up by the earpads?
What pads even come with me MS-2's? Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back