Grado SR325is vs Alessandro MS2i
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

JPizzzle

100+ Head-Fier
I tried searching for this on the forum and couldn't really find a thread with a direct comparison.  Any help would be appreciated.  I would be listening to these un-amped, and had originally considered the new PS500 coming out, but figured that it may not be worth it to purchase these to listen to unmapped (if that makes sense).  My 11" macbook air and iPhone 4 would be driving these.  Anyway, I enjoy listening to a variety of music but mostly classic rock, pop, rock, some country and rap, and at rare times classical.  I would be listening to these at home and while walking.  Any help is appreciated, and if this is in another thread, I apologize. Thanks,

JP

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 30
I assume you mean the Alessandro MS2i? Anyway, I first started out w/ a SR325is and, like many others found the treble too screechy at times so I returned them and got the MS2i instead. Much better. To me they sounded very similar except the MS2i took the offensive edge off of the treble.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 30
@Jpizzle

Correct if you are hell bent on never ever getting a portable amp then you are wasting your money
and there are better choices.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 30
Well,i'm just being realistic.  I would never take a portable amp with me out of the house.  Also, I do not have a desk or home office to setup an amp to listen to music, so I would likely not buy an amp for home either.  When you say there are better choices do you mean not including the MS2i or sr325is?  Also, thanks ken for the feedback.

JP

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Well,i'm just being realistic.  I would never take a portable amp with me out of the house.  Also, I do not have a desk or home office to setup an amp to listen to music, so I would likely not buy an amp for home either.  When you say there are better choices do you mean not including the MS2i or sr325is?  Also, thanks ken for the feedback.

JP

There are other choices even within the Grado & Alessandro line that will perform more effectively
if you cannot amp them for the reasons above. I'd consider the MS1i or 225i if you are just going
to use them on the go.

The MS2i and 325i are heavy and tend to be top heavy meaning they can slip from your head.
The 325i only shows it's teeth against the 225i when you amp it. Otherwise, it's just money
for metal instead of plastic.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Gwarmi, How does the ps 500 perform unplugged?  I'm guessing that buying those would not be worth it in my situation?  Thanks again,

JP

No one has their hands on those yet apart from headphone royalty ~ Those 'people in the know' at Can Jam
and some people who work in audio retail. Next few weeks, people should start receiving it. No idea when we will
get them over here in Australia :frowning2:

They won't be any more demanding to drive than a MS2i or 325i but again - such a shame if you never
amped it - it would be running at 75% of it's potential out of an i-device.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 30
i was in the same dilemma as u once, but luckily where i am i can try both. i felt that the 325is was more intimate, having a smaller, more in-your-face soundstage. like many others have mentioned before, it is also much brighter, having slightly more bass impact at the same time. However, i felt the soundstage was too small, imaging was also not as clear as the ms2i, which i bought in the end and have come to love:) the ms2i to me is more balanced, and can be used for a wider range of genres, especially when the 325's treble was too shrill. Hope this helps:)

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
i was in the same dilemma as u once, but luckily where i am i can try both. i felt that the 325is was more intimate, having a smaller, more in-your-face soundstage. like many others have mentioned before, it is also much brighter, having slightly more bass impact at the same time. However, i felt the soundstage was too small, imaging was also not as clear as the ms2i, which i bought in the end and have come to love:) the ms2i to me is more balanced, and can be used for a wider range of genres, especially when the 325's treble was too shrill. Hope this helps:)

Thanks jojo, that helps.  How would you describe the ms2i's bass?  Would it perform well in classic rock or jazz?  Any other opinions are appreciated as I plan to purchase one of these on Monday.  Thanks again,

JP

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 30
I don't agree with this. I find that no Grado needs any amping at all. Even when amped the SR-325is and SR-225i don't sound all that better nor different from each other. The SR-325is only has a slightly fuller sound with more treble/bass. When amped the difference is next to nothing. I also don't think the SR-325is is better than the SR-225is, it's just a different flavor.

Just my opinion though. Don't flame me for it.

Quote:
The 325i only shows it's teeth against the 225i when you amp it. Otherwise, it's just money
for metal instead of plastic.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 30
Well i'm happy to see your opinion zombie since i don't plan to amp.  I do however think that a lot of the improvement that people experience may be due to the type of amp used.  From my recent research, I've read that the grados drive well without an amp, but that an amp does provide some improvement.  I don't think that it's at the performance gain that some of the other headphones may have from amping.  Again, this is not based on my experience, just my interpretation of the different opinions out there.  

Also, I believe that I have settled on the Alessandros.  My only concern is that the "i" version came out about 7 years ago.  How often are these grados updated, should I be concerned that they will soon be redone or something coming out that's a better deal for that price range from grado.  Any opinions are again appreciated.  

I may have considered the ps500's if I did not have to throw some money into my photography hobby this november and december :).
JP

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 30
The amps do improve the headphone but not exponentially. The bass tightens, the highs smooth out, and the soundstage expands. But it's not like it's  noticeable right away. Heck all my Grado's were ran off my Zune and the difference between amping and not amping were so small. The improvements aren't as big as some members would leave you to believe. Here on Head-FI.org, there are many subjective opinions on amps, headphones, and gear in general, but I'm sure you know this already.

When I had the RS1 I found they didn't improve much with amping. It was hard to discern the differences. Now the Magnums I had were different and benefited from an amp for sure. With the Magnums the bass became a lot more controlled and defined. Without an amp the bass was an loose animal with a mind of it's own.

Now with the "i" versions I have to say there is no difference in SQ. I had the SR-325i and SR-325is st the same time and there was absolutely no difference in sound at all. Same thing with the SR-225 and SR-225i. Many said the newer "i" revision sound brighter and had more bass but in reality there is no change. I would say do not worry about changes at all between revisions because if there is any difference in it's very small.

EDIT: I have an SR-80i and SR-3225is on hand right now and just tried them both amped and direct from my Zune HD and I gotta say there wasn't much of a difference. 

Quote:
Well i'm happy to see your opinion zombie since i don't plan to amp.  I do however think that a lot of the improvement that people experience may be due to the type of amp used.  From my recent research, I've read that the grados drive well without an amp, but that an amp does provide some improvement.  I don't think that it's at the performance gain that some of the other headphones may have from amping.  Again, this is not based on my experience, just my interpretation of the different opinions out there.  

Also, I believe that I have settled on the Alessandros.  My only concern is that the "i" version came out about 7 years ago.  How often are these grados updated, should I be concerned that they will soon be redone or something coming out that's a better deal for that price range from grado.  Any opinions are again appreciated.  

I may have considered the ps500's if I did not have to throw some money into my photography hobby this november and december :).
JP

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
I don't agree with this. I find that no Grado needs any amping at all. Even when amped the SR-325is and SR-225i don't sound all that better nor different from each other. The SR-325is only has a slightly fuller sound with more treble/bass. When amped the difference is next to nothing. I also don't think the SR-325is is better than the SR-225is, it's just a different flavor.

Just my opinion though. Don't flame me for it. 

Just off to pick up a new Violectric V200 to replace my aging Counterpoint solid state for the 325i and K601

It might be that particular amp's own sound signature ~ it's a very sweet coloration I'm prepared to live with! 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back