Grado SR325is & PS1000 version 2011???
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vincent199122

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first thread. I was wondering on head-fi and only look at comments like usual and clicking links while listening to my grados. Suddenly I found myself looking at the following website:

http://www.knicom.co.jp/version2011.html

I'm rather surprised because I can't find any threads about this in here(I will be sorry if I'm double posting it). I also don't see any English threads when I googled it. This is pretty interesting to me because SR325is and PS1000 are the only pairs of open-air headphones I currently own.

Their gallery:
http://www.knicom.co.jp/gallery.html

Their home page:
http://www.knicom.co.jp/home.html

Are these cans exclusively sold in Japan?

The frequency response on their PS1000 page is "5~50,000Hz". I remember I was not like this at the last time I looked at Grado Labs' website, so I go back and looked and it's changed to 5~50,000Hz.
The headphones are priced differently(makes sense), but they offer balanced option for some of their models.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 18
That's pretty cool if they did that, I did'nt hear about that if I remember correctly. Did You order these here in the state's or buy or trade with someone for them?

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 18
There was a thread about this change in the SR325.  I didn't know they did it with the PS1000 as well, but I think it is how all the new production units look.  I'm not that into it based on the pictures, but it is really hard to judge the reflective nature of something based on images because it is very highly effected by the lighting, and studio lighting can make reflective surfaces like this look much better/worse then they do in person.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 18
The PS1000 are now chrome just like SR325- Surely they can show them in better lighting than that? The pictures are overexposed.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 18
I would be happy to make some better pictures if someone wants to send me their chrome PS1000
ph34r.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 18
I wonder: if they ever do another batch of HF2's ... would they be chromed as well?  Yuck.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 18
The quality of Grados vary from time to time,  A friend told me that the first badge of PS1000 is the best.  The current badge is nowhere near.  The weight of the current badge is noticably lighter (variation in production).  Sound quialty is also best on the first badge of PS1000  Manufacturers are charging you the same amount of money and give you less and less, even on their flagship models. How disappointing.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 18
Now if someone says Grados are bright, he might not be talking about the sound...

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The quality of Grados vary from time to time,  A friend told me that the first badge of PS1000 is the best.  The current badge is nowhere near.  The weight of the current badge is noticably lighter (variation in production).  Sound quialty is also best on the first badge of PS1000  Manufacturers are charging you the same amount of money and give you less and less, even on their flagship models. How disappointing.

There might be variation in different PS1000s but I don't believe Grado Labs are deliberately giving us a lesser product to save money. Where did your friend get the information from? I never heard anybody saying that the latest PS1000 are uniformly worse sounding and lighter in weight. Does chrome weigh less than aluminum?
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Have not heard the PS1000 I do however have the gold toned pre "i" SR325 and it is by far the best, most detailed set of 'phones I have ever heard. The only beef I have with them is they do not fit too firmly on my head. I like my Sennheiser 280 better for that.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 18
I think the value of used PS1000 just went up at least 100 dollars.  Buying grados is one of the best investments around right now.  the older the Grado, the better it looks and the better it sounds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back