Grado SR225i versus SR325i - Am I just paying for the Metal???
Oct 24, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #31 of 56
In my experience the 225is were terrible compared too the stock 325i's. I have a witness too this affect as well. All treble in the 225is just like the 60/80/125is.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #33 of 56
Everyone's tastes are different.  Out of all the Grados I've heard, I liked the SR325is's the least ... because of the ear piercing treble.  If you think you're interested in the 325's, I would strongly suggest you take a look at the Alessandro equivalent: the MS2i's.  A much more balanced headphone than the 325 IMO.  Much better behaved highs.  More integrated lows, and a better connected midrange.

But as far as value, I think the SR225i's are actually pretty hard to beat.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #34 of 56

Quote:
WhiteCrow, what kind of music are you partial to?

I tested them against each other and the RS2 with, Heavy metal, Classical, Jazz, Folk Rock, and electronic just for laughs.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #35 of 56

Quote:
In my experience the 225is were terrible compared too the stock 325i's. I have a witness too this affect as well. All treble in the 225is just like the 60/80/125is.

This is so different from what I'm hearing that it's like we're listening to different headphones.  There is distinct and solid bass in my 225i all the way down to 30 hz or so.

(BTW, I'm using HD414 pads.  I mention this because pads seem to make a big difference with Grados.)

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #36 of 56
I sort of question how much of this is just personal preference (probably a great deal) and how much is variability within and between lines. I would imagine that no two pairs of 225s sounds identical (nor 325s or any other). So, given that much of what is being discussed here is nuance - it is entirely conceivable that were WhiteCrow and BarleyGuy to trade cans they may in fact find agreement. The within-line variability may in fact be almost as great as between-line variability. Unfortunately (correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen), everyone here responds from a sample size of one.

I'm coming to the Grado line from closed back Sonys. I figured both the 225 and 325 will sound spectacular compared to that, so I went for the 225. We'll see once I get them.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #37 of 56

Quote:
I sort of question how much of this is just personal preference (probably a great deal) and how much is variability within and between lines. I would imagine that no two pairs of 225s sounds identical (nor 325s or any other). So, given that much of what is being discussed here is nuance - it is entirely conceivable that were WhiteCrow and BarleyGuy to trade cans they may in fact find agreement. The within-line variability may in fact be almost as great as between-line variability. Unfortunately (correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen), everyone here responds from a sample size of one.

I'm coming to the Grado line from closed back Sonys. I figured both the 225 and 325 will sound spectacular compared to that, so I went for the 225. We'll see once I get them.

Congrats.

Once you get them, you might want to experiment with different pads.  The bowl pads they come with can be uncomfortable until they break in.  You can get Sennheiser HD414 pads for about $10, which are very soft on your ears and will help the bass IMO.  They are bright yellow though.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #38 of 56
I'm using the RS2's right now. I can certainly say they sound VERY different than the 225i's.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #39 of 56

Quote:

It's all personal preference...

here are mine

I prefer my 225i in bloodwood cups over ever other grado that I've heard so far (sr 60, sr 80, sr 80 heavily modded, ms pro, and some V 3.5 magnum drivers in cocobolo cups). The 225i's are just my favorite.. They are very bright, and pretty bass light. They aren't for everyone, but I love them the most.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #40 of 56
I would highly suggest getting some wooden cups turned out, if you do like the 225i's. It won't drastically change the sound signature, but most people agree that the wood just brings a little something-something into the picture that is undeniable.. Plus, it looks badass and it's not too crazy expensive.

P.S. Grado's are crazy easy to drive.. You don't need much as far as amping goes, just something clean.. Your source is much more important in my honest opinion and somewhat limited experience. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #41 of 56

Quote:

Yes and no.

smile_phones.gif

See here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/539658/big-grado-sound-signature-variation-of-the-same-models

But at the same time, if you spend any length of time here, and/or do some searching and a lot of reading, the SR325i's seem to be the oddball among Grados for how bright they are.  With that said however, I have another buddy who has a pair of the older goldies, and he swears by them.  Now, I know this guy's ears, and if his pair sounded anything like the ear shriekers I had, he wouldn't say the glowing things about his that he does.

So really, buy the pair you think you want, and then judge their merits on their own.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #42 of 56
i haven't used 325, but i have a 225 now, it is a good headphone to let you enjoy in the music, but take a long time to let me find it, when i first got em, i am a little disappointed, but when you keep listening it, you will love it slowly,  that's what i think, well the worst thing in my opinion is that the bass is too little for me, but the quality of the bass is good,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back