Grado SR225I Mods
Jun 11, 2011 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Turtleporker

New Head-Fier
Hello (I hope this is the right forum section)

I recently purchased the Grado SR225I headphones and am really liking them but the pads they come with really bother me.

While they are not TOO uncomfortable, the material they are made out of seems really cheap and after a couple of hours does begin to become bothersome.

I was considering purchasing http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307777608&sr=8-1 and doing the reverse mod thing on them, but I just wanted to get some feedback before I did.

Has anyone here done the mod? Does it improve sound, make it worse? Is the material the same as the stock pads?

I'd like to someday get the c-pad audiophile pads, but those seem a bit too far out of my budget right now, does anyone know if it would be possible to get some used ones on here?

Also I was wondering if I could purchase the aluminum cup through grado?

So many questions, I'll only ask one more.

Does removing the little circles (that say sr225i0 improve sound at all?

Thanks for any and all help

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 19
As far as pads go, you'll basically have to try a few different ones and see what works best for you.  The bowl pads that Grado supplied on the SR-225i are actually layered with about 3 different foam varieties.  It would have been great if they used a much softer foam for your area closest to your ears.  I did read about someone who recommended using a fabric softener on the foam.  I did that process - soaked my bowl pads in fabric softener in the sink for several hours.  Then, rinsed them thoroughly and let them dry overnight.  The results were mixed.  It seemed to provide a softer finish in the near term, now it seems like the softness is going away.  Also, the fabric softener has that "spring fresh" scent, so my pads have smelled like a nice spring day for about 2 months now.

As a rule, Grado doesn't sell parts.  So, asking them if you could buy aluminum cups won't get too far. However, the following site sells aluminum cups - only in this one color.  However, people have been able to chemically remove the color so they have a standard silver finish -

http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod-for-Alessandro-Grado-headphones.html

Good luck to you!

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 19
I suppose I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I have no problem personally recommending the 414 pads, as I've found them to be the most comfortable for extended listening.  Give them a try without the quarter mod,  with the quarter mod,  and then move to quarter modded and reversed;  it's been my experience that different people find the sweet spot with these in different configurations.

side note: pretty sure B&H has the best price on them after shipping.  link

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
As a rule, Grado doesn't sell parts.  So, asking them if you could buy aluminum cups won't get too far. However, the following site sells aluminum cups - only in this one color.  However, people have been able to chemically remove the color so they have a standard silver finish -

http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod-for-Alessandro-Grado-headphones.html

Good luck to you!

you sure have issues with that color 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Wow.  They really do.  I was checking the prices on eBay and the cost for 2 pair was around $22.00.  Thanks.

Yeah, no problem.  I just recently had to pick up a new pair of them and spent forever remembering where I got them so cheap the first time.  They're beating the price sennheiser sells them directly for at less than $9 shipped. 
dt880smile.png

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 19
I found the stock bowl pads to be a little uncomfortable during extended listening periods when I first got my Sr225i. The foam has softened up quite a bit now and I find no discomfort in wearing them. Try hand washing them with fabric softener or reversing the bowls. This seems to make a change for some people and increase the comfort as there is much more padding to sit on your ears. I also find that reversing the bowls seems to widen the soundstage but also make it "shorter."

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 19
I modded mt SR80is and this is what I did:

I made my own earpads, the first set were too hard so the next will be nice and soft. I made them like the doughnut pads you can find on a lot of on ear headphones. Some time, about $15 and some skill will get you some nice pads

Then I also went overboard and made me a headband with a cushion which turned out really nice.

So now I'm off to make bigger pads, like the Sony XB series and make them all nice and soft.

Also, THE SOUND QUALITY FLIPPED END OVER END

The SQ on my Grados skyrocketed. The bass is upfront and still tight, the treble is more clear and formatted, the mids are more liquid ans war,.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 19
Thank you with all the help!

I think instead of the aluminum cups I'm going to go with the "Jmoney Audio" wood cups, specifically http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/products/2d.jpg those ones. I've heard very good things about his products and it's not cheap, but not as expensive as the Audiophile ones so I think I'll be good. By the way, does anyone have any experience with these? I'd like to know how much they improve sound by and about how long it takes to get them once you order them, as I'll be in basic training in 2 months and don't want them showing up while I'm gone.

And thank you for showing me that site with the 414 pads, I was looking at them on amazon and they were more than twice as much! I'll buy 2 pairs and see which one I like best. Is there a thread on here with instructions on how to preform the mods on them, because I don't really know what all this quarter reverse mod stuff is.

Thanks again!

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Never heard about Jmoney's wood cups.

and in case you want to know, there a few grado cups builders here at the forums, good prices and good products as well.

ps check out the SR60 thread

http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/main.php

and thank you for directing me to that thread, I learned a lot of stuff there.

Anyone in particular I should contact about the wood cups? Does that Bilavideo guy sell them?

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 19
Jmoney only sells head bands now and he might not be doing that anymore either. At least that was the gist of the email I got a while back. I'm selling a pair though if your interested.

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 19
So I've got the woody part covered and am now looking into switching out the headband and pads

Right now I'm looking at the beyer DT770 Headband, but I am unsure as to whether or not I can buy them directly through beyer or through some other company

And as for ear pads I'm thinking of getting the jumbos instead. Do they increase sound quality at all? Or are they just for comfort?

Thanks again for any and all help

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Jmoney only sells head bands now and he might not be doing that anymore either. At least that was the gist of the email I got a while back. I'm selling a pair though if your interested.

Does the African blackwood feature any stain on them?  Or, is that just the buffed lacquer appearance?  Believe me, I love the wood - the grains, the Zebrawood, etc. - however, there are times when one would just want a "stealth" Grado and that finish does its best to keep that somewhat-stock appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back