Grado SR225 Thread
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #121 of 831
Gotcha. It all depends on what you like. For me they are fine.I like cleaner bass than fuzzy, bloated, bass.I wouldn't say they have weak bass though.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #123 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR225 is such a great sounding headphone. The Beyer cushion really improves the comfort and looks, in my opinion.

The famous (or infamous) Grado bowl pads were of concern to me before I received the 225s. I have to admit that I have not listened for more than 4 hours at any one time, but I found the bowls to be fine.

Comfort, sound and looks are all individual choices. So far, the stock 225s deliver on all fronts for me.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #124 of 831
Well, the Beyer cushions I'm talking about is the headband cusion from the DT770, not the earpads.

I also found that the bowls were very comfortable. I can pretty much wear them for awhile with no discomfort. I also think that the bowls sound better on the SR225 than the other pads that I have tried.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #127 of 831
Quote:

Well, the Beyer cushions I'm talking about is the headband cusion from the DT770, not the earpads.

I also found that the bowls were very comfortable. I can pretty much wear them for awhile with no discomfort. I also think that the bowls sound better on the SR225 than the other pads that I have tried.

I love my SR225 with the stock bowls.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #128 of 831
IMG_9734.jpg

Got my HD414's. They sure are comfortable, but I haven't really come to a conclusion about the sound yet. I had tape-modded my bowls previously and was really enjoying the extra punchiness from the bass. I don't know if my ears are deceiving me but the sound just isn't feeling quite as natural somehow. I really need more time with them I think before I can start a/b'ing.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #130 of 831
Quote:

With any pad that brings the driver closer to the ear, it makes the sound muddy, in my opinion. I think bowls are perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

At the moment I would have to agree with you. I think muddy might be the term I was searching for. With my bowls I was also using 2 thin pads to cover the drivers and make it slightly more comfortable, and I never sensed any muddiness with the sound.

Argh, I may have wasted $9 here.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #131 of 831
I just grabbed my 225's after listening to my 701's for awhile and damn I love them. I am almost on the fence of trading off the 701's and my bad driver 580's for a 650 as I do love the Senn sound as well.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #133 of 831
Well, after a several month long debate, I just pulled the trigger on the SR225 from HeadRoom (as a birthday present to myself!
gs1000.gif
). I just couldn't decide whether I wanted the 225 or 325i, so I figured with HeadRoom's awesome return policy I could just trade up if I think the 325i will be worth the extra $100. The Denon D2000 were also high up on the list, but there's just something about Grado that draws me in like a tractor beam. I love the way they look, too.

What really set the ball in motion was the acquisition of my Sleek SA6. They sound so good that I couldn't quite enjoy my HD595 as much as I felt I needed to...there was just something missing! I've practically stopped listening to them because I like the SA6 that much better. From the way I hear the Grados described, they'll fit perfectly with what I'm looking for.

They should arrive on Wednesday, and I can't wait!!!

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #135 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after a several month long debate, I just pulled the trigger on the SR225 from HeadRoom (as a birthday present to myself!
gs1000.gif
). I just couldn't decide whether I wanted the 225 or 325i, so I figured with HeadRoom's awesome return policy I could just trade up if I think the 325i will be worth the extra $100. The Denon D2000 were also high up on the list, but there's just something about Grado that draws me in like a tractor beam. I love the way they look, too.

What really set the ball in motion was the acquisition of my Sleek SA6. They sound so good that I couldn't quite enjoy my HD595 as much as I felt I needed to...there was just something missing! I've practically stopped listening to them because I like the SA6 that much better. From the way I hear the Grados described, they'll fit perfectly with what I'm looking for.

They should arrive on Wednesday, and I can't wait!!!

I too own the HD595 and felt that there was something missing. For now at least, the SR225 seems to fit the bill for me and I hope it likewise does so for you.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back