Grado SR225 Thread
Dec 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #151 of 831
Speaking of woodies... are they worth it? I mean for example, for $100 US are they worth it on the 225's?

Will it take away anything or just add more? What would it add?

I'm new to Head-Fi but I'm already addicted and am always looking for ways to get more More MORE!

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #152 of 831
More-a good way for the wallet to go on a diet.
wink_face.gif
Personally i would recable instead of woodizing.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #154 of 831
Have you guys tried the sr225 with the Fiio E5 or E3? Does it sound good? And changing the 1/4"-to-1/8" for portable players, what is the best/cheapest?

Edit: will I finish getting sr80 or sr225? Still a mystery
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #156 of 831
Finally decided between sr80 and sr225 and got my sr225. However I use (atm) portable source and the guy at the shop gave me a 1/4'' to 1/8'' that doesn't work good with it. The left and right channel don't sound as soon as you twist a bit the cable.

After 10 minutes usage putting the plug is useless. It falls (doesn't have enough strength to hold the big 1/4'') So i won't be able to use them during this weekend.

Plus they are so new and smell so new atm, i need to wear them more, burn them in and then enjoy

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #157 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally decided between sr80 and sr225 and got my sr225. However I use (atm) portable source and the guy at the shop gave me a 1/4'' to 1/8'' that doesn't work good with it. The left and right channel don't sound as soon as you twist a bit the cable.

After 10 minutes usage putting the plug is useless. It falls (doesn't have enough strength to hold the big 1/4'') So i won't be able to use them during this weekend.

Plus they are so new and smell so new atm, i need to wear them more, burn them in and then enjoy

I suggest that you buy the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, which is 20cm in length, they guarantee that there won't be any sound quality loss
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #158 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest that you buy the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, which is 20cm in length, they guarantee that there won't be any sound quality loss
wink.gif

Well i don't know where to find that in europe (cheap and good condition), but more wire length... I mean there is already enough with the one that comes.
if it is the "only good solution" to get the SQ i payed for then I shall look for it.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #159 of 831
the little piece of cable between the connectors is there to prevent strain to be put on the jack going into the player/amp. the length added can be a bit cumbersome, but in the end more durable. any 1/4 to 1/8 will probably do, as ling as the connectors are of high enough quality. Sound quality lost in 20cm of wire is practically none, either you are a cable believer or not. I see a bunch of people say sennheisers adapter is great, never tried it myself though.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #160 of 831
Ok i didn't get the grado 1/4'' to 1/8'' adaptor. I got my money back for the faulty jack and the guy at the shop gave me one that works good for free. The quality of this jacks he had is a bit less than average, so I will check for one at Media Markt or some place like that that I bet will be cheap, but better i hope.

Now I am in Burn in process (39 minutes burn in to be exact at the present time). It is unbelievable how good the cowon D2 handles this headphones without any amp. (The Sansa Clip can handle them but not as good as this one, and the Sony A829 is a bit behind the Cowon D2, not a large margin though).

Even if it has barely burned it listening to metal with this cans is amazing (and will keep getting to better) I will get my Fiio E3 & E5 soon (think during this week) and lets see how good they do.
Bass is good enough for me, i have realized that I am not a Basshead, even if I might try the tape mod with the bowls. They are quite comfortable and this headphones deliver more sound than expected; instead of putting the volume up as I do with my shure se-210 I am lowering it.

Listening to FLAC @ 44kHz Already discovering new sounds I couldn't listen with the se-210.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #161 of 831
Good you love your grados Bullseye. I love mine to death every night.
I was thinking of something. Don't know if this has been invented before but instead of tape, maby make a nice "ring" of wood that is just a little bit smaller in diameter than the pads. Im thinking black ebony wood or something

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #162 of 831
Hmm after around 2.30 hours my ears are a bit sore. What i can see is that the Bowls haven't molded to my ears yet. That will take some time.

However it is not really uncomfortable, it is just something "different" from what i have used. I find more difficult to get used to IEMs than to full sized

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #164 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the reverse bowl mod (put the bowls on backwards). I find that it helps with comfort.

Yes it does it also improves bass.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #165 of 831
Thnks for the advice, will try it later. Where can i find all the possible mods to make to my sr225s? Any other easy-to-do mod that changes SQ to better?

Edit: I am just using them today as my first day, so i want to try them first to see how they sound before any mod, so that i can measure what the mod does. Already loving this babies, they sure are the Sweet spot (SQ/Price they are quite similar to the sr80, however with this ones you get better materials + better SQ noticeable -even if some people say the opposite-)

Oh and I listened to some Daft Punk (Electronic music) and it doesnt sound as amazing as with metal/Rock

EDIT2: What home amps work good with them? And does any sr225 owner here use the fiio e5/e3 with them? Any positive opinion for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back