Grado SR225 Thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #662 of 831
It's been a while since I've last posted on Head-fi and even more years since I sold my last pair of SR225.  I recently picked up a pair of SR225e and surprisingly it's making me excited about listening to my current collection of music.  Much more excited than the Sony Z7 that I picked up a few months ago.  This not to say that the Z7 is a slouch but there's just something about the SR225 PRAT that's hitting the right notes for me.  It just goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money to have such an enjoyable set of cans. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #663 of 831
Hey, guys! I am planning to get Colorfly C4 Pro for my Grado Sr225i. One of the most think what I like on C4 is very nice looking design dap. What do you think about this combo. It's a good improvement from Xonar essence Stx? Maybe somethink has C4 and Sr225(i-e)?

If only for SR-225 it seems like overkill, but that is just me.  For portable I'm really happy with my Fiio X1 (2), X3, and Xii (all four of these DAP's cost less than one C4 Pro).  I don't use my SR-225e outside since it lets to much outside noise in, usually use a Momentum, Philips L1, V-Moda XS, and HD-700.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #664 of 831
I want C4 for portable use. I want sound quality improvement, because now I am not happy STX and Sr225i combo.

Well then you should consider the Astel & Kern Jr as well since it also operates as an external DAC. Good luck with your choice.

I have not come across the C4 before so it was fun having a look around the internet about it. I read the DAC chip in the C4 was used in the Marantz 6003 CD player which is a good reference. I think the A&K could compete with that.

Have you used you 225i on other kit so you are sure it sound card is the weak spot? There is much better audio to be had than the Essence STX. However it does review well, and it may be the one that uses the  same DAC as the HRT Microstreamer.

I am waffling now but I am in a similar place as you. I have the 225e paired with the Meridian Explorer, and I am a little disappointed in it. Only I am however looking at upgrading headphones before DAC. (Either that or make/buy wood cups for my 225e.) I mean, no doubt if I bought an Audiolab M-DAC the 225e would sound much better. I have a sneaky feeling I would still be left wanting though.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #666 of 831

Well then you should consider the Astel & Kern Jr as well since it also operates as an external DAC. Good luck with your choice.

I have not come across the C4 before so it was fun having a look around the internet about it. I read the DAC chip in the C4 was used in the Marantz 6003 CD player which is a good reference. I think the A&K could compete with that.

Have you used you 225i on other kit so you are sure it sound card is the weak spot? There is much better audio to be had than the Essence STX. However it does review well, and it may be the one that uses the  same DAC as the HRT Microstreamer.

I am waffling now but I am in a similar place as you. I have the 225e paired with the Meridian Explorer, and I am a little disappointed in it. Only I am however looking at upgrading headphones before DAC. (Either that or make/buy wood cups for my 225e.) I mean, no doubt if I bought an Audiolab M-DAC the 225e would sound much better. I have a sneaky feeling I would still be left wanting though.

What's disappointing you with the 225e's - unless it's the Meridian that you find disappointing ?

(I'm ready to buy them, having already had the 225's and 225i's and liking them both a lot.)

Cheers,

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #667 of 831

What's disappointing you with the 225e's - unless it's the Meridian that you find disappointing ?

(I'm ready to buy them, having already had the 225's and 225i's and liking them both a lot.)

Cheers,

If you like the 225 and 225i you I imagine you will be fine with the 225e. For me it's more I preferred the sound signature of the 125i. The 225 is overall a better headphone to me, but not strongly.

I prefer the 225 for having l-cushion whereas I tried l-cushion on 125i and found it too bright. (It gains a point then for having pads I prefer.) I found the sound of the 125i more matched or balanced. The 225 has a kind of openness compared to the 125. However for me didn't seem to gain enough sound richness to pair with it. Thus I found it left it sounding two steps forward one step back, and a little out of balance. Even though the 125i had slightly less detail I preferred it's balanced matched way of doing things.

I think that the 225 improvements over the 125 are not catered for properly by the plastic housing.

However if you already like the 225 sound then you should have no issue with it. 

Funny thing is every time I say all this, I put the 225e on I think I have been unfair.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #668 of 831

If you like the 225 and 225i you I imagine you will be fine with the 225e. For me it's more I preferred the sound signature of the 125i. The 225 is overall a better headphone to me, but not strongly.

I prefer the 225 for having l-cushion whereas I tired l-cushion on 125i and found it too bright. (It gains a point then for having pads I prefer.) I found the sound of the 125i more matched or balanced. The 225 has a kind of openness compared to the 125. However for me didn't seem to gain enough sound richness to pair with it. Thus I found it left it sounding two steps forward one step back, and a little out of balance. Even though the 125i had slightly less detail I preferred it's balanced matched way of doing things.

I think that the 225 improvements over the 125 are not catered for properly by the plastic housing.

However if you already like the 225 sound then you should have no issue with it. 

Funny thing is every time I say all this, I put the 225e on I think I have been unfair.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I just returned a set of 325e's; they were just a bit too hot at the very top.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the aluminium housing.  However, they were less
bright than the previous versions of the 325's, notably the 325is.

Perhaps for my purposes the 225e will be a more useful headphone.
I want it for use indoors when I'm traveling and don't want to take with
me my more valuable open headphones.  And hoping that the polycarbonate
body will tamp down that "zip" without giving up too much of the space and
detail which I liked in the 325e.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #669 of 831
@zazex, looking at your profile you have some nice headphones, I've never found open headphones good for travel but that is just me.  I like the MDR-7506 when I travel, good isolation on the plane.  Are you just looking for a open headphone while in your hotel room?

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #670 of 831
  @zazex, looking at your profile you have some nice headphones, I've never found open headphones good for travel but that is just me.  I like the MDR-7506 when I travel, good isolation on the plane.  Are you just looking for a open headphone while in your hotel room?

Yes, a good sounding, not too expensive, open headphone for listening in my hotel room
that's easy to pack

Any ideas other than the 225e?

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #671 of 831
  Yes, a good sounding, not too expensive, open headphone for listening in my hotel room
that's easy to pack

Any ideas other than the 225e?

The only two that I have are Philips L-1, is discontinued but if you can find one should be around $90, the other is HD-239, about $65.  These two were recommended by Inner Fidelity, great sounding headphone with good balance.  I can see your problem now, not very many open headphones that will fold flat or are compact enough to travel with.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #672 of 831
  The only two that I have are Philips L-1, is discontinued but if you can find one should be around $90, the other is HD-239, about $65.  These two were recommended by Inner Fidelity, great sounding headphone with good balance.  I can see your problem now, not very many open headphones that will fold flat or are compact enough to travel with.

Thanks for the suggestions

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #673 of 831
I wondered ages ago if the SR225e and SR325e had the same drivers, and emailed Grado.
Dear Grado,

Is there much to gain in buying an SR325e if you own the 225e? From the perspective of sound quality I mean.

The headband doesn't count for too much to me because I am happy with the 225e headband.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally that I can audition, and travelling is not easy.

I wondered also if the driver in the 325e was different to that in the 225e. The frequency range is more with the 325e, suggesting it may be a different unit. Whereas I though the 325e was a 225e, but in a metal housing.

Thank you.

They replied.

The SR325e is a much better headphone

it deploys better performing drivers 

it has the hybrid enclosure, aluminum out chamber

let us know if you have any further questions

Cheers

However.

This doesn't quite explain whether it has the same drivers or not. Maybe the drivers in the 325e perform better because they are in a better acoustic housing; opinions aside.

I suspected that the drivers were the same in the 225 and 325 because of the descriptions on the Grado website. What I mean is this. When you read the 225 information, it mentions the closer-matched driver and increased airflow etc, compared to the 125. However the 325 doesn't mention anything new other than the housing.

Therefore, can we assume getting wood cups for the 225e create a better headphone than the 325e?

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #674 of 831

Seems pretty clear to me.  The 325 and 225 have always been very different headphones, what makes you think that is no longer the case?

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #675 of 831
  I wondered ages ago if the SR225e and SR325e had the same drivers, and emailed Grado.
Dear Grado,

Is there much to gain in buying an SR325e if you own the 225e? From the perspective of sound quality I mean.

The headband doesn't count for too much to me because I am happy with the 225e headband.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally that I can audition, and travelling is not easy.

I wondered also if the driver in the 325e was different to that in the 225e. The frequency range is more with the 325e, suggesting it may be a different unit. Whereas I though the 325e was a 225e, but in a metal housing.

Thank you.

They replied.

The SR325e is a much better headphone

it has the hybrid enclosure, aluminum out chamber

let us know if you have any further questions

Cheers

However.

This doesn't quite explain whether it has the same drivers or not. Maybe the drivers in the 325e perform better because they are in a better acoustic housing; opinions aside.

I suspected that the drivers were the same in the 225 and 325 because of the descriptions on the Grado website. What I mean is this. When you read the 225 information, it mentions the closer-matched driver and increased airflow etc, compared to the 125. However the 325 doesn't mention anything new other than the housing.

Therefore, can we assume getting wood cups for the 225e create a better headphone than the 325e?

Seems pretty clear to me.  The 325 and 225 have always been very different headphones, what makes you think that is no longer the case?

However...

The 325's, from what I can tell, are brighter than the 225's.
I had the 225i's, then bought the 325is's and had to return the latter
because they were too bright for me.

And, a few weeks ago, I bought the 325e's and after a few weeks
had to return them because I found them to be too bright at the very top.

(I'm not a serial returner, BTW. :))

I'm considering getting the 225e's.
They might not be everything the 325e's are, but they might be more listenable.
Ultimately, IMO, that's really what counts.

edit: I also have the PS500e's and RS1i's, neither of which is too bright.
In fact, I think they're both amazing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back