Grado SR225 Thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #484 of 831
  SR225's
Cups / Headband / Gimbal from MCA
Moon Audio Blue Dragon Cable
Viablue Plug

Thank you Martin! Gorgeous Work!

Well selected!
Martin made these 225is last year but they are now living the good life in Italy!

I like your cups more!

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #485 of 831
Omg how much it cost the mods for the 225i???? i only have the 225i and dont know how could sound a better HP like rs1 but it worth the investment? it looks absolutely gorgeous.
make me think that the 225i are a really awesome headphone if people are willing to mod the headphones like this.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #487 of 831
Yes, the 225i is basically the same quality (matching) of driver as the RS1.
The price difference is mainly from wood cups, metal gimbals and leather headband.
Whatever doping grado performs on the drivers does not impact cost much IMO.
So if you buy 225i, you have $500 to play with until it reaches the cost of a RS1.
If you get Martin's beautiful hand turned (not CNC) cups, leather headband, metal gimbals and fancy cable,you can spend more than the RS1 but you have a beautiful one of a kind piece of art headphone.

You can also buy CNC wood cups and mod your 225 but Martin's work is both special and more expensive and worth it...

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #488 of 831
Yes, his work is just plain stunning...to say the least.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #490 of 831
  so are you saying that the 225i sounds very similar to a rs1? if so i could invest some $$ to get a unique 225.
it seems that Martin has hes website a little outdated. 

The 225i uses the same drivers as the RS1 but these features of the RS1 improve sound beyond what any modification can do:
1. The RS1 cups are one piece of CNC machined wood, not two pieces of plastic glued together.
2. The RS1 cups are larger than the 225i and larger + bigger, better sound. This is also the most important difference between the RS1 and RS2, which has smaller cups.

Martin can hand turn you one piece cups that are more beautiful and can be larger or smaller than RS1 cups.
He can also dope your drivers or punch holes to tailor the SQ to your preference.
It is not fair to say the MCA cans are better or not better than Grado RS1, but they are more unique and can be more beautiful.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #491 of 831
thanks for your words man. and yea what i meant was if 225 modded sound similar to a rs1.

im not sure if next year i will upgrade to an rs1 was my first thing to do with extra money but now if the mods can make it sound close to the rs1,  i will look out and check the cost of it. and i can have a improved sound a gorgeous design headphone and unique.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #492 of 831
When you get to this point, it is really about if you want to have a stock Grado or a one of a kind hand made headphone.
I would be wrong to say one sounds better than the other. It just depends what you want. 
I would be happy with a stock RS1 or a unique MCA! Neither hurts at all!

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #493 of 831
Hey guys,

I'm having a few niggling issues with my new SR 225s. They don't sound as good as I think they should,. I'm listening unamped from a laptop source (lenovo y580, realtek HD onboard audio). 

I'm using a super cheap 1/4 to 1/8 adapter from radio shack that I think may be the most pressing issue atm, though. I wanna buy the grado mini adapter because they promise no loss in sound quality but I can't buy that one on Amazon and I'd rather just use prime.

So my question is, is the sennheiser adapter the same thing? Will there be any difference at all? Will I notice a difference from the radio shack adapter? 

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #494 of 831
  So my question is, is the sennheiser adapter the same thing? Will there be any difference at all? Will I notice a difference from the radio shack adapter? 

The most important part of the Grado adapter design is that it is made of two parts connected by a cable.
This design puts much less stress on the 1/8" (3.5mm) mini jacks on many DAPs, portable amps or smart phones. 
The idea is that the weight of a 1/4" plug plus adapter will put more torque on the mini-jack than a simple 1/8 plug.
With the Grado, only the little mini plug is stressing the mini jack.

There should not be any sonic difference between Grado and the Sennheiser or Radio Shack, unless one is faulty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back