Grado SR125i versus SR225i - Am I just paying for the bowls???
Sep 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, a little play on the other thread, but in all seriousness, I'm curious about the differences between these 2.

I have the SR80i's and the SR125i's, and I had the MS-1i's.  Didn't like the Alessandros at all.  Sounded like SR60i's to me.  Very similar to the 80's, but with no bass.

And I think the SR125i's are very similar to the 80's, but with a slightly mellower midrange, so overall, a more balanced headphone.  But the differences between the 60's and the 80's are a lot larger IMO than from the 80's to the 125's.

So I'm kinda curious as to what the differences are between the 125i's and the 225i's.

smile_phones.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 25
I think the drivers are more closely matched, but I can't notice any missmatch in my 125.

There is a thread on here about modding the sr60, it applies to most of the phones, and made an unbelivable improvment.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 25
I don't really want to mod them.  I might try different pads, but I won't take them apart to do anything to them.

I really like the SR125i's actually.  Have had them for a year.  I had SR80i's for a week before I moved up to the 125's, and I listened to both the SR60i's and the 80's before I bought the 80's. 

But I now have a pair of SR225i's on the way to compare myself. 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 25
Just try the mod, it is very easy and does wonders.
The thread makes it look complex, but all you are doing it taking the back off, peeling off two layers of cloth and putting it back together.

It isn't rocket science.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 25
I auditioned the two back to back and ended up buying the 225. The only difference Grado claims is closer matched drivers, different pads, and different grill. They do sound very similar. To me the 225 had slightly better detail and bass. Why don't you just buy a used 225 in the for sale forum? It's less than the price of a new 125.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 25
Why don't you just buy a used 225 in the for sale forum? It's less than the price of a new 125.

That's essentially what I did. 
smile_phones.gif
I got the 225i's yesterday.  They really are the same as the SR125i's except for the screen on the backs of the housings, and the bowls vs the cushies.  Looking through the backs of the housings, the drivers appear to be identical.

Screens: the 125 is a perforated metal sheet type material.  The 225 is a screen-door screen type material.

The 225's are brighter.  I'm trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  (Simply "brighter" vs "more detailed".)  I don't hear much of a difference in the bass to be honest.

I wear glasses, and the cushies are more comfortable. (Keeping in mind I've been using the SR125i's for a year now, and my ears have definitely imprinted themselves into the face of the cushies.  I wonder of that's why I don't hear much of a difference in the lows: because I am getting a pretty good seal with the used cushies now.)  I have bent the headband on the 225i's somewhat, but there is still extra pressure from the bowls on my ears over the where the glasses go behind my ears.

I just tried the Senn yellow pads as-is, and the treble seems the same as the cushies, but with less bass.  That surprised me, I thought the Senn pads would be more like the cushies.

I have an extra set of cushies at home, and I want to try those tomorrow to see if that would make the 225's sound the same as the 125's.

Got to admit, I'm leaning hard towards the 125s at this point.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 25
Lots more listening.  The SR225i's with comfies sound exactly like the SR125i's.

I don't like the bowls.  Makes the SR225i's too bright IMO, and they aren't as comfortable as the cushies with my glasses.  And I have bent the headband as much as I should need to.  The bowls just don't fit my ears that well.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Lots more listening.  The SR225i's with comfies sound exactly like the SR125i's.

I don't like the bowls.  Makes the SR225i's too bright IMO, and they aren't as comfortable as the cushies with my glasses.  And I have bent the headband as much as I should need to.  The bowls just don't fit my ears that well.

Have you tried amping the cans? My theory is that the sr 225 will have the edge if you amp them correctly. Even though grados can be driven with portable DAPs, they scale pretty well with a good amp.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 25
I have Headroom's Total Bithead.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 25
I listened to both the 125 and 225 through a peach tree integrated, same volume same music, and the 225's were noticeably better in detail, bass and over all musical sound.

I now own the 225's.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 25
HERE'S AN INEXPENSIVE MOD

All I've done is the following:

1. Removed the back cups.
2. Vented the 10 holes on the back of the driver.
3. Removed the front grill cloth.
4. Quarter-modded a pair of comfies.
5. Made two wooden rings to go around the comfies.

[size=medium]

This is not an expensive mod.  The rings are the only part of this process that requires you to spend any additional funds.  Removing the grill cloth and quarter-modding the cushions clear the way for great sparkle.  Venting the driver back allows you to get great airflow and significantly enhances the bass.  Getting rid of the plastic rear chamber is tossing aside a significant source of back-wave resonance.  The result is amazing clarity, a transparency people associate with extremely open cans like the HD800.

I'm partial to these rings.  They wrap around the sides of the cushions.  Unlike rear chambers - open or closed - they address front waves.  They are shells in a more literal sense than rear chambers.  Their job is to capture bass that escapes laterally through the foam cushion.  As HF waves are more directional than LF waves, these shells do a nice job of capturing more bass than HF.  To the extent they reflect HF waves, the reflections are lateral, rather than slamming through your ear drum.

Loosely held by use of the foamy cushions, these rings also take pressure off your earlobes by acting as a circumaural pad.  With them, you can angle the drivers, which not only gives the back of your ears a comfortable perch; it allows the drivers to be angled so that the forward area is close (for better bass) while the rear is further away (for a wider soundstage).

It's a simple fix, but what a fix it provides!  I haven't even stained and lacquered these bad boys, but they give an unusual degree of clarity and clean thump.  They've very comfortable and the airy presentation they provide is intoxicating.  If you're low on nickels, give this tweak a try.

[/size]

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
I listened to both the 125 and 225 through a peach tree integrated, same volume same music, and the 225's were noticeably better in detail, bass and over all musical sound.

I now own the 225's.

One man's "better in detail" is another man's "too bright".  I'm keeping the 225's too, but I use them with comfies.  Too bright otherwise, IMO.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #15 of 25
I couldn't stand the 225s with Bowls either. They really need to be used with flats or comfies or some other concoction. 

I personally don't like the 225s. Mostly because I see such little value with them. The 125 is a better proposition IMO. The 125 by the way also sounds ear-piercing with bowls for me. I actually stuck to the SR80, which is the best value in the prestige series IMO.  My SR80 though has already been heavily raped and modded, moreso than even Bilavideo's wonderful SR60s. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back