Grado SR125 vs SR225.. are the 225s worth the upgrade?
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

plastick

Head-Fier
Everyone seems to say the 225s are the sweet spot in the Grado line. Help me pick between the 225s and 325s! I already have the 125s and love them especially now that I have a true USB DAC headphone amp.

Do the 225s really deliver a killer low end that the 125s seem to lack sometimes? I love the way the 125s do vocals and the lows are great if the song is recorded properly.

I guess my main question is: are the 325s worth it over the 225s? I hear the 325s are shrill to the point of annoyance? I enjoy the harsh highs on the 125s because they sound great when it's 320kbps mp3/wav/flac.. anything below that and you're just listening to hiss.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

If the low end is what's holding you back, the 225 will deliver good punch, but no boom. It's not bassy, but it's not void of bass. It covers bass well though, which is why it's often considered the best for the money, because it has the great mids/highs of a Grado, but also has low end, so it's not anemic, and so it can cover a wider range of music types.

Very best,

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

If the low end is what's holding you back, the 225 will deliver good punch, but no boom. It's not bassy, but it's not void of bass. It covers bass well though, which is why it's often considered the best for the money, because it has the great mids/highs of a Grado, but also has low end, so it's not anemic, and so it can cover a wider range of music types.

Very best,

So I guess I really need to try the 225s. Btw, which cans do you like the best out of your collection? You have quite a few in your signature! 

I am in no way disappointed with the lows on the 125s; I just know there could be more. I also have the old version of the SR125s with the old driver housings.. I wonder if the newer ones offer better low end dynamics. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I listened to all three back-to-back when I bought my 225s, and I thought the 225s sounded noticeably better than the 125s to my ears, but I did not hear a difference between the 225 and 325 models.  I think the 325s feel nicer, and the build quality might be worth the extra money, but I didn't hear enough of a difference to justify the cost for me.

Hope that helps.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I listened to all three back-to-back when I bought my 225s, and I thought the 225s sounded noticeably better than the 125s to my ears, but I did not hear a difference between the 225 and 325 models.  I think the 325s feel nicer, and the build quality might be worth the extra money, but I didn't hear enough of a difference to justify the cost for me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Honestly that's all I needed at this point.. just placed an order on Amazon for a pair of 225s! I can't wait! :D

Thank you MalVeaux and Focal1!

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

Hope that helps.

Were you using the Bowl pads (L-Cush) on the 125i same as the 225 and 325? If not then thats where the biggest difference in the sound is at. Someone should compare all three using the same pads, preferably the bowls :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Mr. Plastick,

I compared the 225i with the 325i with the RS2i. They all had stock pads.
The SR-325i were the brighest of the three, the difference was not subtle.

The better Grados would need a decent headphone amp to really shine.
Some guys like Grados with tubes.
I'm sure you've done some searching thru the Head-Fi threads WRT Grado owners?

C.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm a long-time SR125 owner who recently upgraded to the SR225i and I really like them.  They seem to have deeper, more impactful bass and a little less brightness right out of the box.  Using the big G-cush bowls and a Beyerdynamic headband cover and they sound great and are very comfortable.  Easy drive for my Little Dot I+ amp.  I don't have any experience with the SR125i but I'd say the SR225i is worth the extra $50 over what I paid for my original SR125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back