Grado sr125 vs sr225 - are either of these the right cans for me?
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oldsoulrevival

New Head-Fier
I need to get a new set of headphones and I am experiencing the paradox of choice (we create choice so that we can find exactly what we need, but we create so much choice that the decision becomes too difficult and we make no choice at all).

I tried the Beyrdynamic dt880s this week and I liked them, excepted their mid range wasn't all that strong and I didn't think they worked well for rock music.

I am looking for a well rounded headphone that can be used for all genres of music, although I mostly listen to acoustic (a la "Tallest Man on Earth"), Rock (a la "Tool"), electronic (a la "Radiohead), and old school hip-hop (a la Notorious BIG)

I've heard good things about Grado headphones and I recently read that there is really not much difference between the sr125 and sr225i.

1) Is this true?
2) What are the differences?
3) Are these cans a good choice for my style of music? ( I listen to EVERYTHING - from Bach to to Hip-Hop)
4) If not, what would you recommend, and why?

Thanks!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 2
1) Yes, not much for $50, but...
2) ...It may or may not be worth it, all up to you. I had a friend who said it's worth it, I said I'd still pick my 225. The 125 can get shrill in the high freqs, but not that the whole upper range is loud, but that "S" and "T" in the lyrics and cymbals can really be grating for some people. And it's nothing like the extension on, say, a K701 from a good source and amp where the cymbal for example takes a while to resolve the note, but that extra extension gradually fades, since you're hearing how it actually vibrates. Loud at first, then gradually losing energy; as opposed to the 125 which goes loud, then grating, then nothing.
3) Yes, either one is good. But then again, I prefer Grados and the HD600 and I like the sound of anything on them; I just have both because the sound is similar enough. The SR225's go with me and the iPod out of the house; the HD600 stays with the home rig.

If I had one complaint with the SR225 though, despite its mobile source-friendly sound, it's the portable-unfriendly cable. Not only does it have a 6.3mm plug (that I liked when I didn't have the HD600 since it didn't need a converter) but the cable's also too long. I'm re-cabling mine with silver cablethat's just about 1m from the Y-junction, although I'm replacing the whole cable up to the cups. Also considering using a 3.5mm female plug at the junction, then have two cables made to go with it (one 1m with 3.5mm on both ends, another 2m with one 3.5mm and one 6.3mm).

If you're just using them at home then the cable on either of these is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back