Grado SR125: Makes my ears bleed!!
Feb 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #18 of 81
Sorry about the awful seller! What a pig. I don't know which of two pad types to recommend, as I haven't tried either. But I have seen people suggest both are more comfortable than the other, so there's no apparent consensus.
confused_face.gif

I can say that my own experience with the bowl pads was that they were fairly uncomfortable at first, but that they softened up naturally over time. Somewhere in the "Interview With John Grado" thread, it is mentioned that the pads are designed to soften over time as they come in contact with the oil from one's skin. Still, if they are as uncomfortable for you as it sounds, I would definitely try soaking them in shampoo.

If you decide to keep the bowls, one thing you can try to improve the sound is to wrap the outside of the bowls in tape, preferably electrical tape. I know it sounds silly, but it really does add a healthy bass boost with no noticeable downside imho, and black electrical tape blends in with the phone surprisingly well.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 81
I know a couple others have suggested this, but you should really bend your headband if you haven't done so already. Making it flatter on top while bending the sides more gives a much more comfortable feel. Also make sure the pads are positioned correctly on your ears. I'm not sure how you wear yours, but I find that the best way is slightly forward and low on my ears.

If none of that helps, then washing the pads would definitely soften them up. Honestly though, washing the pads softened mine up too much. To the point where they offered very little cushioning against my ears.

The pads do naturally soften up over time though. If it really bothers you that much, maybe you could try the "sock mod." I haven't personally tried it, but it sounds pretty comfortable and probably wouldn't cost as much as buying comfies.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #20 of 81
Seems you have to treat getting used to Grado's like breaking in a new pair of shoes; over do it on day one and you'll regret it for the following week!

I never got on with Grado's, or any headphone that rests on the ear as I wear glasses, and I found the pressure on the ear caused my ears hurt when pushed up against my glasses.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #21 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got on with Grado's, or any headphone that rests on the ear as I wear glasses, and I found the pressure on the ear caused my ears hurt when pushed up against my glasses.

I wear glasses and I haven't had any problem with them. Actually, I feel no difference in comfort with glasses on or not. To each his own.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigress /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So between the comfy and the yellow pads with the hole already in them, which one would you recommend?

the holes you see in the HD 414 are for the "headphone side", the driver "head" (or whatever you'd like to call it) has to attach somewhere, on your bowl pads its entirely open between that piece of your hp's and your ears (ok, not 100% open, there was a pretty extreme mod thread a few weeks back where someone removed the cheesecloth and dampening between the physical driver and his ears, but thats pretty tough DIY to do)

while the HD 414 pads or comfies will attach around the connector, like the bowls, and cover up that white part, thats what changes the sound dramatically for some (most?) users

the quarter mod just involves cutting a hole in there to open it up (and for some, this is apparently more comfortable than bowls, i've never tried it myself)

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 81
I should mention also that when I first got my 325is, I listened to them for a good many hours straight, like you, and my ears were red and sore afterward (not bleeding, mind you, but intensely sore). Now that the pads have softened up, I can listen for hours and my ears only become slightly sore. I don't know if that provides any consolation.
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #25 of 81
Ouch. I thought it was a metaphor. Hope it heals quickly, Tigress. About comfort, nothing I can say that hasn't been said here: Wash them. Bend the headbands (My Grado's earpads are about a fist's width apart when they're not being used. When new, they're like touching each other. That's how much I bend the headbands.) Buying other pads seem to be a waste of money coz it seems you have no problem with the sound. How DO you feel about the Grado sound, anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #26 of 81
Ok, I was able to locate the 414 pads in Montreal for 5$!
biggrin.gif

It is directly coming from Senheiser! so I just have to pick these up from tthese Montreal location.

Hopefully the headphone will be comfortabler.

It is still a shame I have to pay more money (even if 5$ only) to get my ears not to bleed. I am disspointed by Grados.

Btw, I seen the mods everyone posted, how many mods is there for Grados!!!!

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #27 of 81
I used my Grado SR125s for a few years with the stock pads and while they were not the most comfortable in the world, I did get quite used to them after a while.

Then they wore down and broke.

After that I wore my Grados bare, no pads at all. It was harsh at first but as with most things in life, I got quite used to it!

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 81
Quote:

Thank you Kite for you assistance.

But...18$ for foam pads??!!
confused.gif

I am in the wrong domain!! Maybe I should be learning how to manufacture pads for 10 cents and sell them for 18$ ...ahahahah

But this is seriously expensive!!

You think I can find something similar in Dollarama?

Last year I was in Montreal and the audio store there on St. Laurent up by Schwarzes smoked meat. Called Moog Audio might have them or can order them, the cost might even be a lot less than $18.xx. I picked up some tips for my Ultimate ears there for around $11.xx. Try it and then go have a smoked meat.
beerchug.gif

And don't forget to say if you are going to come to the Montreal Headfi meet.

B

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #30 of 81
Quote:

Ok, I was able to locate the 414 pads in Montreal for 5$!
biggrin.gif

It is directly coming from Senheiser! so I just have to pick these up from tthese Montreal location.

Wow, now I want some 414 pads too
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back