Impressions:

Good:
-Very "airy" sound
-Nice soundstage

bad:
-Still very uncomfortable, even after shampoo
-Lacking Bass
-harsh highs and sibilance create ear fatigue

Anyone knows if there are headphone more comfortable than Sr125, with the same "presence" quality but with more bass?

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 81
sr225
biggrin.gif
About comfort they are the same, but has the same "presence" People say for a similar sound signature to Grado you have the Denon, which might be more comfortable.

Sr80 (cheaper) might be your other choice, as it will not have those harsh highs.

But before you make any conclusion you have to get pass the burn in process. My sr225 improved after some hours of listening.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #49 of 81
One washing isn't going to do it. I didn’t notice any increase in comfort by washing it once. I ended up washing it 5 or 6 times in the span of about a month before I got used it. So the increase in comfort could be because I got used to it by wearing it daily for a month or washing it several times, who knows.

I was moving to a new apartment the other day and I smashed my headband, I can attest that can take a bit of punishment/bending.

You can increase the bass by taping the outsides of the bowls. I fixed the shrill highs and got better bass by getting a new DAC/amp.

I’m a firm believer of breaking in headphones, I ran pink noise for a few days straight before blind testing to an unbroken in one the difference was there.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigress /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I had another 1 hour session.

Impressions:

Good:
-Very "airy" sound
-Nice soundstage

bad:
-Lacking Bass

Anyone knows if there are headphone more comfortable than Sr125, with the same "presence" quality but with more bass?

Aww... I don't know what to say. Maybe some oil or something?

And bass is an issue, even on my RS-1s. An amp will fix that.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by musako6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh...wow i didn't know that the grado pads were that rough...sheesh I wouldn't enjoy listening to music if it totally scratches my ears.

I am reading this post with some hard time believing that a pair of ear pads could cause bleeding on the ears. I purchased a pair of SR225s for my son at Christmas time. After he got them I wore them to burn them in and compare with my HD590s. As for comfort I found no problems wearing them for four hours on the first day and a couple of hours for another week. I did find them to be more evident that they were on, unless they came out of the box bent perfect for my big head. My son has never said anything but THANKS and wow. I told him that if he wanted I would switch if they were not comfortable etc.. He said no dice and thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. BTW I have really sensitive skin such that I can not wear jeans because of the sensitivity. And I never had a problem with the pads on my ears. Did you move them around on your ears while listening?

B
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #54 of 81
bikeyboy, unfortunatly, I have what we call here "porcelaine" skin. very white and very fragile like porcelaine.

I would not beleive myself if I had not experimented it. But i think it was too harsh rubbing againt my skin. I also wore them while working out, so it made the rubbing even more pronounced I guess.

But now, I have a different issue. I have pain since that last time, but inside my ear canal, like on my ear drum...I think that long session with the Grados did some damage...I was not cerful maybe.

I hope my ear drumes will hurt less tomorrow. I feel like there is some pressure buildup or something. Kinda like when you go out of the shower and have water in your ears, but only in one side.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #55 of 81
Quote:

Ok, I had another 1 hour session.

Impressions:

Good:
-Very "airy" sound
-Nice soundstage

bad:
-Lacking Bass

This: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...grado+basshead

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 81
With the new "I" series, sr125 and below now include comfies with bigger air chambers (guess bowls aren't needed anymore), it looks like grado finally answered to all the complaints.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #58 of 81
Hello, a quick update.

I washed the pads 7 times (lucky seven) and now they are falling in pieces...whenever I touch them, I have black powder on my hands...

Oh well...still didn't buy the 414 Seinheiser yet

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #59 of 81
I think you should stop wasting time with painful headphones and buy something like the AD700 or HD555. Both phones sound great out of the box, and both phones are comfortable enough to be worn for hours on end.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Hello, a quick update.

I washed the pads 7 times (lucky seven) and now they are falling in pieces...whenever I touch them, I have black powder on my hands...

Oh well...still didn't buy the 414 Seinheiser yet

That's terrible! Aww, sorry for the trouble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back