Grado SR125: Makes my ears bleed!!
Feb 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigress /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
But..after a 5 or 6 hours of listening the other day, I remove the headphones and noticed there was blood in my ears!!! I was ascared because I thought that my ears canal was bleeding!
confused_face.gif

It turns out that the Grado pads have rubbed againt my ears so bad, that my ears become red and then they bleed...ouch!
frown.gif

It's a pity that you missed this thread (of mine):

Which are the Most Uncomfortable Headphone on the Planet?

and, for instance, this post.

wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 81
Well it took me about a month for my grados to quit rubbing against my ear. I think it took me about 5 washes in the washing machine/ clothes drier and some adjustments on the headband to really get them comfortable. I wouldn’t call them super comfortable but it eventually quit rubbing against my ear so I could wear them extended periods of time.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

but why dont Grado do anything about all these complaints? i am not the only one that think they are really bad on your ears.

sound quality maybe?

Maybe if it affected the huge mass of people, they would.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

but why dont Grado do anything about all these complaints? i am not the only one that think they are really bad on your ears.

sound quality maybe?

Even though I also have the HD414 pads, I use the bowl pads 90% of the time because they simply sound better. After I broke them in, they are not so bad. This is coming from someone in the same position as you, minus the blood.

From a business prospective, the lower end grado lines are already considered the best bang for the buck from many so I don’t think a change is really needed. But I defiantly agree that grado should make the 325i and up more comfortable.

Still Grado has been quoted on the net to say something along the lines of if you don’t like my headphones go make your own... this is not an exact quote

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people are just wimps, come on grado causing "pain?" Smash a hammer into your groin, that's pain.

The OP did mention that she was a girl with sensitive ears.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #39 of 81
I personally don't think being a girl has anything to do with it. It's only because she has sensitive ears that she's experiencing extra discomfort compared to the rest of us.

btw OP, did you already bend your headband? I don't think I've seen an answer to this question yet.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people are just wimps, come on grado causing "pain?" Smash a hammer into your groin, that's pain.

I am glad I will never know that senstaion
jecklinsmile.gif

yes, I bend them a bit, but I afraid I brake them.

Tonight will be pads washing night!
biggrin.gif
I will pickup the 414 later this week.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #41 of 81
yea, girls can't tolerate any pain, that's why we're the ones giving birth to all of you.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry Tigress you got mistreated by the sexist salesman, make sure you never give that pig another cent.
angry_face.gif

You're not the only one suffering from Grado "discomfort", mine were pretty uncomfortable, but I put up with the rough pads for the sake of music. I could handle the bowl pads on my ears, but when I use the flat pads the driver touches my earlobe and it huyts! it makes my skin raw, this shouldn't be normal, but I guess it is if you want to own Grado.

I tried adjusting the headband and it helps a little but I still can't use mine more than half an hour, not that I would want to because the sound is fatiguing to me. I rather use other headphones for extended music sessions.

I hope the new pads solve your problem because you shouldn't have to put up with blood and pain to enjoy your music.

Welcome to Head-fi and Team Girl-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 81
Yeah, may I suggest the AD700 as the alternative for a VERY comfortable music listening sessions?

I am not surprised about the Grado, as I am reminded of torture devices when I look at any of them, including GS1000, just extra large ball and skull crushers.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #43 of 81
You shouldn't be afraid of bending the headband. The metal is pretty malleable.

http://www.headphile.com/img120.jpg

Quote:

Adjusting Headband for Better Fit of C-Pads

I've found that bending your headband is a pretty darn easy way to get your C-Pads sitting on your head properly. In the above left picture, think of the white line as the stock band and the red as the adjusted band. There is a band of metal inside the leather (or vinyl) cover. Keep in mind you don't want to reef on it, but you do want to bend it beyond springing back to stock which does take some force. If need be, start slow and repeat numerous times.

In the right picture, you'll need to straighten this section of the metal a bit in the green dotted area. Do this by putting your thumbs in the yellow dot area and bend up where the red arrows show. This widens the band. Next, grasp a yellow dot on either side and bend towards lower arrow, then repeat on other side. Keep in mind you're going for the red shape in the left picture. In both pics, the band shown has already been adjusted, so you can also use that as a guide.

It may take a few attempts to get it right, but once you get it fitting better you'll get the idea and be able to make more minor adjustments. It's not brain surgery, you can do it if you just do it. If you don't adjust them to fit, they'll sound like monkey… So do it :)

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #44 of 81
Yes you would lose detail with that "comfy" version. I can show you exactly how you can personally transform them not only into more comfortable headphones, but better sounding ones as well.

take the earpads off, use them as a size reference for making your own. Get some memory foam (you can buy cheap memory foam pillows for like 10$ and cut it out of that), cut out a hollowed out O shape the same as the earpds are. Now take your choice of a comfortable fabric, or leather scraps (leather will isolate the sound better, ie, will improve the sound quality), and cut out 2 hallowed out O shapes per earpad. place one underneath the memory foam, one ontop, and sew them together.

As for the headband, you can merely glue a layer of some form of comfortable fabric to the bottom side of the earpad and that will add a sustainable amount of comfort to them.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions / comments about it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

I am glad I will never know that senstaion
jecklinsmile.gif

yes, I bend them a bit, but I afraid I brake them.

Tonight will be pads washing night!
biggrin.gif
I will pickup the 414 later this week.

LOL, never say never!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back