Grado RS2 Vs Sennheiser HD650
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I've found some posts about this before, but they have never been compared with the music I listen to.....

So it's a simple question, What headphone is best Grado RS2 or Sennheiser HD650 for music like for example: Paramore, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Linkin Park etc....

This might sound stupid as I own a pair of RS2 myself...
tongue_smile.gif
But right now I think the sound is to bright.... Was wondering if the Sennheisers where a better choice.... I've owned the HD595 before and I thought they had good sound..... So if HD650 has an upgraded sound from that I would proberly like the HD650... But as I just got my RS2s I will test them atleast one more week.... I don't have an amp... I use them to my soundcard (Auzentech Prelude), but I don't think an amp will change the whole brightness....

Please if you have one of those (or both) headphones, can you please listen to the music I've listed and tell me if you think that headphone is good or bad for my music type...... Even better if you have both, so you can give an opinion on witch I should choose......

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 13
source quality is really important for grado rs1-2 series. sadly sometimes driving a lower impedance headphone is much more harder than higher impedance models because of sensitivity..

i think if you use it with better dac+amp solutions grado rs1 and rs2 simply invincible especially for rock music
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphone is best Grado RS2 or Sennheiser HD650 for music like for example: Paramore, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Linkin Park etc....

This might sound stupid as I own a pair of RS2 myself...
tongue_smile.gif
But right now I think the sound is to bright....

Please if you have one of those (or both) headphones, can you please listen to the music I've listed and tell me if you think that headphone is good or bad for my music type...... Even better if you have both, so you can give an opinion on witch I should choose......

So you want someone else to tell you what your opinion should be and how to enjoy your own music? Harden up princess, and decide for yourself. The 'best' phone is the one you like most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by witness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
source quality is really important for grado rs1-2 series. sadly sometimes driving a lower impedance headphone is much more harder than higher impedance models because of sensitivity..

i think if you use it with better dac+amp solutions grado rs1 and rs2 simply invincible especially for rock music
smily_headphones1.gif

Source quality is important for any decent headphone, sensitivity has nothing to do with it. If he doesn't like the sound sig, no source amp combo will change that.

But. Even if you end up getting different headphones, for the quality you're looking for, they will deserve a decent source (and maybe an amp, depending in the phone chosen). So why not start there, and see if your opinion of the RS2 changes, seeing as you already have it.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 13
yes no source amp combo can change sound sig. but certainly helps to show full potential.
i mean while i was using my grado rs1 with mki+ headphone amp, sound was thin and bright.
after i get a tube amp, now its really airy and much more controlled at high freq.

especially for grados synergy is very important thing for enjoying music. if you use it with bright character source then the sound can be intolerable

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 13
It would seem that you're agonizing over the choice of getting a different set of headphones or attempting to get improved performance from your RS2i. Only you can make that decision really. It depends on your belief (at this point) in how much the RS2i's performance could be improved with an amp and improved source. Otherwise, change the cans. The HD650 would be a good choice since it really doesn't share the characteristics that you dislike about the RS2i.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was wondering if the Sennheisers where a better choice.... I've owned the HD595 before and I thought they had good sound..... So if HD650 has an upgraded sound from that I would proberly like the HD650...

But not necessarily. If you thought the 595 was well balanced, you might find the 650 too dull.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you want someone else to tell you what your opinion should be and how to enjoy your own music? Harden up princess, and decide for yourself. The 'best' phone is the one you like most.

How can a princess harden up? Princesses are supposed to be soft and delicate...lol.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 13
I've owned both and prefer the RS2 over the HD650 because I found the RS2 much more involving. About the brightness thing regarding the RS2, I never experienced it, but a nice tube amp might make that perception disappear. I wish I never sold my EF1. I miss it so with the Tung-Sol tube. If you still don't find the RS2 to your liking after other options, the current used value for both RS2 and HD650 are very even. Good luck.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 13
The HD-650 are more balanced than anything else. It also does have a tendency to be dark with a veil.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Your appreciation of that veiled/dark sound will depend on your overall experience with cans of varying sound signature and which ones you're using along with the HD650 or prior to using the HD650's. I moved from the HD595 to the HD650's and thought the HD650's were lush and not at all dull/veiled. I was really wondering what others were thinking. Since owning the Grado 325is, RS2i, D5000's and now the Ultrasone Edition8, I can now fully appreciate that laid back and with some recordings, quite veiled sound signature of the HD650's. In the same vein, I was listening to my Ultrasone Edition 8's for hours last night. I'm now at work listening to my RS2i.... I no longer find them fantastic (reference point now readjusted), though very good, and thought them initially to be quite bright. However, after about a half an hour of listening, I'm no longer considering them to be just a bit bright, more a defining character of its sound, rather than a bluntly negative characteristic.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I know what you mean. I think the 650's sound lush too, but I can also understand why people call them dark and veiled. It really is laid back.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Equipment;
Little dott MKIII and Their Dac II
Senns HD650
Grado SR125 (modified with larger circumural pads)

Last night I went crazy doing a side by side comparison.  The HD650 are not yet broken in so it may not be fare.  I hope their soundstage opens up, seems to be missing the highs.  My Grado's never sounded bright before the comparison, they do now. 
Music;
First up was Evanescence, I thought the grado’s had the edge here for the instruments but the vocals go the Senns.  Next was Joe Satriani Crying, definitely went to the Grado’s.  Third was Sting and hands down this went to the Senns.
My hope is that the Senns will “open” up, there is a blackness to them which is nice while the Grado’s are so wide open it is almost a distraction, if that makes any sense.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Equipment;
Little dott MKIII and Their Dac II
Senns HD650
Grado SR125 (modified with larger circumural pads)

Last night I went crazy doing a side by side comparison.  The HD650 are not yet broken in so it may not be fare.  I hope their soundstage opens up, seems to be missing the highs.  My Grado's never sounded bright before the comparison, they do now. 
Music;
First up was Evanescence, I thought the grado’s had the edge here for the instruments but the vocals go the Senns.  Next was Joe Satriani Crying, definitely went to the Grado’s.  Third was Sting and hands down this went to the Senns.
My hope is that the Senns will “open” up, there is a blackness to them which is nice while the Grado’s are so wide open it is almost a distraction, if that makes any sense.

I agree.  Having used Grado almost exclusively for the last few years, it was just a month ago I purchased a HD650.  Following perhaps 150 hours of burn-in, the HD650 is much more 'laid back' and quite 'lush.'  It is an attribute which works well versus the bright, open Grado signature.  The more I listen with the HD650, the more I prefer it.  Yes, the Grado can be a "distraction."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back