Grado RS1X or Audeze LCD 2 Classic for classic rock / metal?
Nov 29, 2021 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Grothmog

New Head-Fier
Hello, finally got permission for christmas from wife to step into audio world :wink:
So I went ahead and narrowed down choice of headphones to these two models: Grado RS1X and LCD 2 Classic. Which one of these would suit better genre of classic rock / metal (think for example queen bohemian rhapsody).

Which amp would suit best these headphones? I really like look of Woo Audio wa6-se.

Best regards.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 23
Hello, finally got permission for christmas from wife to step into audio world :wink:
So I went ahead and narrowed down choice of headphones to these two models: Grado RS1X and LCD 2 Classic. Which one of these would suit better genre of classic rock / metal (think for example queen bohemian rhapsody).

That's not easy to answer.

Most people will tell you RS1X, plus they're relatively easy to power. As long as you have about 150mW into 32ohms and low output impedance you're good to go.

But then there's me listening to the same music with an HD600 with thicker pads that would go with an HD650/6XX or LCD-2 Classic because...
a. the cymbals shouldn't sound like they're right outside my ears and trying to tear my eardrums in half, and
b. the cymbals shouldn't sound like they're set wider than where the guitars are
...but since more people will say RS1, statistically speaking it's far more likely you'd also prefer the RS1.

Or maybe just buy it from where you can return it, and by then you'd have a better idea of what you didn't like about the sound so people can suggest something else (not just the LCD-2) with a bit more information to work with.

Which amp would suit best these headphones? I really like look of Woo Audio wa6-se.

That should be good for either, though way overkill for the RS1.

Although there is one upside: if you end up not liking the RS1, you can use this amp to drive most other headphones that aren't electrostats.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 23
Im not a fan of the mids on the Audeze, which limits its appeal (to me) for rock and metal. In fact when I had it, it was limited to trance duty, as it has very nice sub bass, but not much else.

I haven't heard that Grado model, but if push came to shove between the two, I'd take the Grado.

IMHO, you'd be much happier with a ZMF Atticus, with its fantastic mids and prodigous mid bass slam. Very musical headphone.

If you're hellbent on a planar for rock and metal, I'd suggest finding an old HE-500 from Hifiman. Again great mids and slam.

There are others, but without knowing your budget, it's hard to say.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 23
I have Grado RS1 coupled with a Woo WA7. It's a great combination for all day listening. Very good sound without any harsh or annoying characteristics. It's very natural sounding so might be lacking if you like the base to hammer.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 23
Im not a fan of the mids on the Audeze, which limits its appeal (to me) for rock and metal. In fact when I had it, it was limited to trance duty, as it has very nice sub bass, but not much else.

I haven't heard that Grado model, but if push came to shove between the two, I'd take the Grado.

IMHO, you'd be much happier with a ZMF Atticus, with its fantastic mids and prodigous mid bass slam. Very musical headphone.

If you're hellbent on a planar for rock and metal, I'd suggest finding an old HE-500 from Hifiman. Again great mids and slam.

There are others, but without knowing your budget, it's hard to say.
Well my budget is around price of (lcd2 + Woo Audio wa6-se) or (Fostex TH909 + Xduoo XD-05 Bal + bal cable) and and some $ left for DAC (much cheaper then amp/headphones). Didn't heard about ZMF before.

Or maybe just buy it from where you can return it, and by then you'd have a better idea of what you didn't like about the sound so people can suggest something else (not just the LCD-2) with a bit more information to work with.

Few years ago i had occasion to listen to audioquest nighthawk carbon , fostex th610 and few AKG headphones- out of these three I liked audioquest nighthawk the most and AKG was definetly big NO for me. Fostex still had something missing from Audioquest Nighthawk.

That should be good for either, though way overkill for the RS1.

Although there is one upside: if you end up not liking the RS1, you can use this amp to drive most other headphones that aren't electrostats.
My amp selection was completly random just saw Woo Audio WA6 SE and WA2 and simply tought beautifull.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 23
Few years ago i had occasion to listen to audioquest nighthawk carbon , fostex th610 and few AKG headphones- out of these three I liked audioquest nighthawk the most and AKG was definetly big NO for me. Fostex still had something missing from Audioquest Nighthawk.

If you liked the Nighthawk there's a greater chance you'll like the LCD-2.

The bigger question now is can you handle the weight. Not a problem if you don't listen for long sessions or you do nothing but listen (so you can lean back and rest your head, so some of that weight off your neck), or if you actually have substantial neck muscles. Just be aware this is a problem for some people and there's no way for me to know if it might be a problem for you. As far as the sound goes, yeah sure take a gamble on this over the Grado.

My amp selection was completly random just saw Woo Audio WA6 SE and WA2 and simply tought beautifull.

I wouldn't use the WA2 on either of those since it's an OTL amplifier.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 23

Best regards.
~ I own a Grado RS-1x and use it with the large G-cushions (standard on Grados GS1000e, GS2000e, GS3000e, PS2000e). The h/p/a that match really well with the RS-1x are quite a few. For SS, I recommend the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. For tube, I go with Woo Audio WA6 / WA6SE and ($$$$) Linear Tube Audio MZ3. The pairings are great for any music - what I listen to is jazz, blues, R&B, classic rock.
~ Again, if you go with RS-1x, get the G-cushions: large improvement in soundstage depth and height, in overall clarity, in comfort. Check the ‘Grado Fan Club!’ thread in the ‘Headphones (full size)’ forum: others and I have posted there on the RS-1x.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 23
The bigger question now is can you handle the weight. Not a problem if you don't listen for long sessions or you do nothing but listen (so you can lean back and rest your head, so some of that weight off your neck), or if you actually have substantial neck muscles. Just be aware this is a problem for some people and there's no way for me to know if it might be a problem for you. As far as the sound goes, yeah sure take a gamble on this over the Grado.
Well usually playing music during work (I work form home) so the weight might actually become quite the problem thanks for pointing this out - didn't think about this. As for Grado I chose this based on online reviews as great for rock music. Unfortunatelly can't listen to it in my city.
For SS, I recommend the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. For tube, I go with Woo Audio WA6 / WA6SE and ($$$$) Linear Tube Audio MZ3. The pairings are great for any music - what I listen to is jazz, blues, R&B, classic rock.

From this list i have only found Woo Audio WA6 / WA6SE in my country online store, also grado amp.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 23
If you go with the WA2, an OTL, you will want headphones with a high impedance (250+ohms). That limits your choices to ZMF, a few Sennheisers, a couple of Vintage AKG and a few Beyerdynamics.
ZMF+ an OTL is pure heaven.
If you didnt like AKG, most likely you wont like Grado headphones, as both have some extra energy in upper mids and highs.

The Nighthawk is notoriously warm, to the point of being nearly dark, which is the opposite of Grado as well as AKG.
The Audeze is warm, as is the ZMF Atticus.

Well my budget is around price of (lcd2 + Woo Audio wa6-se) or (Fostex TH909 + Xduoo XD-05 Bal + bal cable) and and some $ left for DAC (much cheaper then amp/headphones). Didn't heard about ZMF before.
Keep in mind that if you go with a tube amp, you will need $ to upgrade the tubes, which can get very expensive, often close to the price of the amp itself.
Tube amps ship with the cheapest, crappiest sounding tubes they can find.
Rolling in some god-tier NOS tubes can have a massive impact on the sound of your setup.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 23
If you go with the WA2, an OTL, you will want headphones with a high impedance (250+ohms). That limits your choices to ZMF, a few Sennheisers, a couple of Vintage AKG and a few Beyerdynamics.
ZMF+ an OTL is pure heaven.

If you didnt like AKG, most likely you wont like Grado headphones, as both have some extra energy in upper mids and highs.

The Nighthawk is notoriously warm, to the point of being nearly dark, which is the opposite of Grado as well as AKG.
The Audeze is warm, as is the ZMF Atticus.

Keep in mind that if you go with a tube amp, you will need $ to upgrade the tubes, which can get very expensive, often close to the price of the amp itself.
Tube amps ship with the cheapest, crappiest sounding tubes they can find.
Rolling in some god-tier NOS tubes can have a massive impact on the sound of your setup.
Then I guess best bet would be ZMF Atticus and pair it with WA2? Then which more budget friendly DAC should i get? (this pair is already pushing it dac that would do minimum with this pair to upgrade at later time) . Is dac as important as amp?

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 23
Is dac as important as amp?
Most will tell you "no" its not as important. I tend to agree, but a good DAC can make a huge difference. That being said, the headphone and amp are the two most important pieces, IMO.

If you like more warmth, go with an R2R DAC, or a multibit from Schiit.
If you want a brighter sound to balance out the Atticus, a decernt delta/sigma DAC would be the way to go.
Then I guess best bet would be ZMF Atticus and pair it with WA2?
I would ask in the Atticus thread for OTL recommendations. There are certainly other OTL amps out there, some just as good, if not better than the WA2.
I used to own the WA2 and had the upgraded 5998 tubes that Woo sells for like $500.00 a pair. IMO, the 5998s are fantastic tubes, certainly miles ahead of the Russian stock tubes that come with it. They have a brighter, airier sound than most 6as7g equivalent tubes. The 5998s should match well with the warm Atticus. You will want to avoid Mullard and RCA tubes with the Atticus as those both tend to be very warm, gooey sounding tubes, which would probably be too much of a good thing.

Another good tube that works well with the Atticus is the Bendix 6080, but im not 100% sure the WA2 can take 6080s. Unfortunately, Bendix 6080s are getting very hard to find and are not cheap.

Another OTL to consider is the La Figaro 339, which I also used to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back