Grado RS1i
Sep 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

negev

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am interested in the RS1i, but would primarily be using them with an iPhone 4.  I don't want to carry a portable amp around with me.

Assuming that I would be listening to lossless audio, would these be worth the money given my use-case or would I just not get the best out of them with just an iPhone?

I really want to go and try them somewhere but finding somewhere in London that has them in stock and will let me try them is proving very tough.

Thanks

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Grado RS1i is an open backed design, meaning it leaks sound (people, commuters can hear you) and it works the other way around. It is really meant for indoor use, quiet environment where environmental sound is around 30db or less. The RS1i and like most Grado models are designed to be easily driven by PDPs to ear splitting volume, so in your use-case, here are some facts and thoughts on the RS1 and Grado headphones in general:

1. An iPhone will drive the RS1 as intended. Amping it up will bring out the best out of them, but not necessary since they are efficient at 32ohm. The iPhone output impedance is close to 0 ohm IIRC, so the SQ is quite OK for being driven by a phone.
  2. If isolation is an important factor you might have to reconsider. Sound can leak in and out and contaminate your listening experience.. ( I listen at a volume where If someone talks to me, I can hear them clearly, but my environment is like 15db most likely, sometimes I can hear my friends talking in the other room). To counter this, some people turn the volume up, while it doesn't damage your headphones, it will certainly damage your hearing over a period of time.
  3. Grado headphones can be notoriously uncomfortable for some people, most Grado aficionados soldier on with the torture for that sweet sound though. The clamping force can be rectified by bending the headband slightly to suit your needs (it is designed so you can do so). The discomfort are usually tied to the pads, and depends on your ear size and dermal sensitivity.
  4. Grado headphones are bright, forward sounding mids and highs, in your face-center of your brain kind; it is pleasant for Grado lovers, abhorred by some.

Here in Malaysia, Grados are expensive, around 100-200$ more per model, higher up along the chain. Sennheiser mark ups here are even worse. I have read that the price in the U.K. are outrageous as well? 

My advice is to audition, audition and audition, with your favorite tracks using your iPhone.

Purchasing something expensive based on reviews and faith (which I did with my SR60i ) is half the battle and an adventure in itself. But if you could, it's worth to go and have a hands on audition, only you can determine whether it's 'worth' it. 
gs1000.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 7
Prices in the UK include tax, unlike the ones quoted in the states. Even still, yes, Grados are pretty **** expensive here. I paid £590 for my RS1i's, which I think works out as about $100 (at least) more than you would have paid if you lived in the USA (all inclusive). Don't forget though, if you import, there's additional customs tax. You really have to know that you love the Grado sound before you splash out that much money on a pair of their high-end cans.

I'm sure there'll be another head-fi member in the London area who has a pair you could try out. Grados are very popular here in the UK, and most Hi-Fi shops seem to consider them the main rival to Sennheiser in Hi-Fi headphones.

p.s. I should just add that I second laxsar's comments about them being inappropriate for portable use. Around the house is fine, but you won't enjoy using them outside.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 7
You could always get them from amazon and send them back if you don't like them.A bit tricky as they need 200 hours burn in .
rolleyes.gif
I have listened to them and preferred the SR325is's,on amazon for £245 now.I couldn't bring myself to spend more on a pair of phones than my last car.
Good Luck..

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Start lower in the Grado line, you'll regret just aiming for the top with such a diverse array of models which all have subtle differences between each other. If you're lucky you'll fall in love long before you decide to commit to 700 dollars worth of can.

Theres no problem with running Grados out of an iPhone. It's just that the iPhone has a much better source (out of it's butt) with an amp, the amp doesn't do as much as running a line-out dock with it from the bottom and then pushing it with an amp.

Even if my SR-225 cost $250, I'd still buy it, it's still my favorite model.

There is a place called Ampcity, call them and ask them about Grados, they're fairly knowledgeable people from what I can tell, especially with amps and stuff.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I wish I could audition them, trouble is finding somewhere that carries the Grado range in the UK (and London specifically) is proving very tricky :frowning2:

There are shops on Tottenham Court Road that have Grado headphones on Demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back