Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #256 of 290
I bought what I consider to be a “stable” RS1e in August, 2016. I stated then, and still think, that it could be my one and only on-ear Grado (I have had essentially ALL the Grado models). These more stable RS1e’s are characterized by a brown headband... Grado went to brown headbands for all of its wooded Reference series a bit after they stopped making the drivers of the RS1e protrude so greatly, which caused such angst in the head-fi community.

I really like it, but ironically, while it scored essentially equal to Grado’s legendary HP1000/HP1 in my three way tests across 10 acoustic features, it was outscored by the RE2e, RS1i, SR325e, and the over-ear GS1000i and PS1000. However, each of those headphones is a favorite Grado to me in some way.

Here is a link to my comparative review of the (stable, great) RS1e. Hope this helps!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16#post-12817028

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #257 of 290
I bought what I consider to be a “stable” RS1e in August, 2016. I stated then, and still think, that it could be my one and only on-ear Grado (I have had essentially ALL the Grado models). These more stable RS1e’s are characterized by a brown headband... Grado went to brown headbands for all of its wooded Reference series a bit after they stopped making the drivers of the RS1e protrude so greatly, which caused such angst in the head-fi community.

I really like it, but ironically, while it scored essentially equal to Grado’s legendary HP1000/HP1 in my three way tests across 10 acoustic features, it was outscored by the RE2e, RS1i, SR325e, and the over-ear GS1000i and PS1000. However, each of those headphones is a favorite Grado to me in some way.

Here is a link to my comparative review of the (stable, great) RS1e. Hope this helps!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16#post-12817028

@ruthieandjohn is the man when it comes to this sort of information! This is very helpful, particularly for people like me who ordered an RS1i and got something... very different. I haven't sold my 'Frankenstein' because I don't want to pass on my disappointment to an innocent bystander, but I have hesitated to buy an RS1e because a) it is not cheap in the UK and b) I am not sure that it is worth it. I am now in a position to buy any Grado I want and I wouldn't want to risk adding another flawed Grado to my collection. I use the word 'collection' diffidently in the face of @ruthieandjohn's vast assemblage of Gradofi! Grados are a mystery... my very first, a SR60i, has qualities that outshine my other Grados at times. I got it free, bundled with a DAC! This evening (night) I have been swapping between a GH1, a PS500 and the SR60i... the RS1i/e is currently in a friend's house. I look forward to getting back to it and reacquainting myself with its strengths.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #258 of 290
IMG_9819.JPG
IMG_4272.JPG
Bliss :)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #261 of 290
I did not realize that the RS1e now comes fully flushed with driver. Has this fixed the recessed treble (sounding like blown tweeter)?
Is the treble amount similar to other current "e" series like GH1/2 or RS2e?

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #262 of 290
I did not realize that the RS1e now comes fully flushed with driver. Has this fixed the recessed treble (sounding like blown tweeter)?
Is the treble amount similar to other current "e" series like GH1/2 or RS2e?

It did not. Maybe it improved the sound in minor ways, but i never heard the other rs1e. The treble was recessed, and the sub-bass was flat out missing information and not quite there. The mids and soundstage were real nice though

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #263 of 290
It did not. Maybe it improved the sound in minor ways, but i never heard the other rs1e. The treble was recessed, and the sub-bass was flat out missing information and not quite there. The mids and soundstage were real nice though

That's too bad. I was hoping the treble was fixed and more balanced with the rest of the sound.
I wish they decreased both the mid & upper bass and low to upper mids and increase the upper treble. Sigh.... :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #264 of 290
Got my new RS1e yesterday. I will let them burn in some time (while I still enjoy my relatively new HD600).

First impression was that they sound close to the old RS1e with protruding drivers but the problems with rolled highs seems to be solved. Don't have my old RS1e anymore but will compare them with my GH1 (before they also will find a new home).

You are saying the highs are not as rolled off. How do they compare with GH1?

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #265 of 290
So having a listen to the most updated flushed version of RS1e. Here are my thoughts. It's definitely an improvement. I kind of even liked it.
Compared to the RS2e, I thought it had better mid clarity, soundstage and detail. In comparison again, to the RS2e, the RS1e has a slightly more forward mids, upper mids and lower treble.
So at times it can be more shouty or shrill than the RS2e.
As for bass, I liked it, it was tight and punchy.
To my surprise, there was some treble too, some shimmer. Less so than the RS2e but still there was some treble.
But what I realized (and this is the deal breaker) is that because it ultimately lacks a sufficient amount of treble, especially in the high upper treble, the mids sound very, very flat, almost dead sometimes. Meaning there is a lack air and breath that upper treble gives to music, to give instruments and vocals a sense of life and space.

So while the presence of some treble makes for a nice listening, it just doesn't have enough upper high treble to give that sense of RS1e the air and life it needs in the mids and bass.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #266 of 290
I am wondering if anyone can comment on the non-protruding RS1e vs. the RS1i? Unfortunately because of the RS1e "protruding" version and the RS1f it's very hard to find this specific comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #267 of 290
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #268 of 290
Take a look at the second table in my post here, which compares the non-protruding RS1e to RS1i: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16#post-12817028

Thanks for the post, but in many ways it makes things even harder to try to figure out. The RS1e is the lowest scoring headphone in that comparison, but wins because of the total listening experience, however the RS1i isn't even mentioned in the qualitative section of the review.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #269 of 290
New member here. So happy to have found your comprehensive comparison posts (years late, alas). Thanks!

I usually benchmark against other headphones using my SR325e on a Chord Mojo, and I find that the 325s leave me with a smile on my face and higher marks in many areas. I'm glad others have a similar experience. What a proficient headphone that can go to bat against my RS1e and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back