Grado RS1 vs. RS2
Dec 7, 2001 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 41
Here's what I think about the RS-2s.

I think that they are a wonderful pair of phones. When compared to my Senn HD580s, they seem to have a collasped soundstage, but instrument separation and imaging are superior. The low bass isn't as present, but there is more detail and texture in the bass that is there. The treble can be slightly harsh, but IMO, no more than the SR-80s I had. There is also much more detail in the treble of the RS-2s than in the SR-80s I had. There is more emphasis on the midrange in my RS-2s than in either the Senn HD580s or Grado SR-80s. Vocals are well defined and centered. As the instruments become farther from center and approach the limits of the soundstage, separation becomes less defined, but this is true of my HD580s as well. When I compared them with the MSPs, I felt that the MSPs had a cleaner treble, more extended bass, and a more neutral sound in general. When comparing them to a pair of RS-1s, I felt that the RS-1s were warmer, with less treble and more bass than the RS-2s. The sound stage on the RS-1s and MSPs was wider and separation was better than on the RS-2s, not by a lot, but noticable.

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 41
I would agree with pretty much everything you've said, Voyager. However, I never found the treble on the RS-2 to be harsh. Perhaps it's because of the recordings? I know that the music you listen to is quite different from mine and perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 41
Voyager and DanG, thanks for your comments. In a few days I'll have the same RS-2 that you guys owned so I'll add my comments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 41
DanG, when I said harsh, I meant very slightly and compared to my Senn HD580s. This could easily be because of my amp, which has a tendancy to be on the bright side of neutral.

If anyone was wondering, I use the bowl pads.

Dec 7, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 41
If you're talking in reference to the HD 580, I would agree that the RS-2 has "harsh" treble. Yet I still wouldn't really call it that -- the 580 and 600 both roll the treble off a little, so the RS-2's treble is a bit more extended. Before I get flamed, this is what I hear -- if it's any more than that, I'm not the one who can say for sure.

Dec 7, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 41
Despite Headroom's lack of enthusiasm for Grado SR325 I actually preferred them slightly over RS2 (which I recently sold) The SR325 should actually be called RS3 as its design is similar to other RS models and actually they produce the deepest perceived bass of any current Grado model. If you listen to rock only SR325 may be 1st choice for you. I do not find the current model in any way bright sounding (again contrary to headrooms comments) and I feel you get 90% of RS1 for less than half the price. The RS1 will retrieve more fine detail but SR325 is very close for much less........if money no object of course get RS1.

My advice, get SR325 and spend the savings elsewhere.

Dec 7, 2001 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 41
I just ran some test tones to check if the bass of the AKG501 was any deeper with this new amp, I also tested the MS2 bass (pro model of the 325)The MS2 bass start getting rolled off at 25hz.

That's pretty damn deep for headphones.

I also played many types of music, including CDs which are a little on the bright side, the MS2 never sounded bright to me. It was very detailed on top but it was not harsh, as you would find in truely bright headphones.

Dec 8, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #24 of 41
I haven't heard the RS-1, but i did not like the RS-2 very much...

One note, several others have auditioned the RS-2s at the same store i went to (Bay Bloor Radio), and ALL of them hated the RS-2, so there may have been a problem with the headphones or the setup was not ideal for them...

Anyways, I had the same findings as others here, i found the mid-treble very harsh, and the upper treble rolled off. Actually, everything seemed a bit harsh, and overall it lacked the tightness/control of the SR-325. IMO, the 325 out-performed it in every area, from bass response, smoothness of the midrange, and treble response...

And while the Hd-600's do roll off the treble, i found its treble response much flatter than the RS-2. In comparason, the RS-2 seems to really emphisize the mid-highs, (total guess, 5-10khz), but rolls off the upper octave more than the Hd-600, taking away the "air" and soundstage....

(and this is what I hear, not flaming anyone, and hope i don't get flamed
wink.gif
)

Dec 8, 2001 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 41
acctuality I find this quite odd

I got rid of my 325's for the Rs-2

325 with bowl pads did have tight bass very punchy
but it lacked warmness

I found the rs-2 has the details of the 325
but with the donut pads

warmer
simular soundstage
and more natural sound with much less sibilence

however....
again it's donut pads

so I dunno
Grado's differ so much with different pad's it's just pure silly

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 41
Agreed! I thought I was reading a CURRENT thread until your comment! Can we quantify how much the 325's, MS-Pro and RS model 'phones have changed in eight years?! Sounds like only a small amount...

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #30 of 41
I'm researching my next buy I was going toget the d5000, but they are bass head and I already have that covred so I was looking for somthing good for rock so far the rs-2 look pretty good, how do they compair witht he rs-2i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back