Grado RS series Owner club!
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #106 of 272
Hi guys, I guess I can join the club since I just received my first ever Grado RS1i serial #10165. I have been listening to them for a couple hours and I am liking them a lot so far. They are very good with vocals and guitars like people have mentioned around here before. I wasn't really looking at headphones after I got my LCD-2s but these Grados came up locally for a decent price and I couldn't resist. I have to say they are pretty enjoyable listening to some King Diamond and I expect they will improve somewhat with more burn in time.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #107 of 272
^^ wow RS1 passed the 10,000 milestone. 
Wonder when Grado started the count....when the i version came out in 2009? or earlier?
If indeed counted from 2009 then it's only been over 2 years to achieve the 10,000 mark. Go Grado!!!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #108 of 272
10000 grados!!!! YAY!@#!@#@#@

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #109 of 272
OP post updated KEEP UM COMING!

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #110 of 272
Thought I'd bump this thread with a nice picture, since we can never have enough pics of these beauties.
The RS1i is the absolute king of vocals imo. I even prefer them to my HD800's in this regard. Sure the HD800's are even clearer and more detailled, but the Grados present the vocals with a magical presence and with liquidy smoothness. I love them! 

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #111 of 272
I wouldn't mind getting added to the list in the OP. I'm extremely happy with my RS1. favorite Grado I've ever owned.

no serial, Semi vintage (or vintage B) RS1

with wood buttons, square rods and old ~2000 cardboard box.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #112 of 272
Anyone have any advice for a soon to be RS-2i owner?

What's your favourite amp for those 'phones?
Budget is $500 or less.

Thanks,
C.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #113 of 272

Budget is $500 or less.

Thanks,
C.

Either go with a hybrid like the Little Dot I+ or a solid state like the O2 amp. Both are very cheap and very good.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #114 of 272

Quote:

Budget is $500 or less.

Thanks,
C.

just look for what people are saying is a warp amp or get a new OP amp for the Little dot 1+

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #115 of 272
See if you can find a used RA-1. It doesn't sound insanely great with other headphones, but there's a magic synergy with the Reference Series. If you're a dedicated Grado fan and want to hear what they sound like at the factory where they're tested, play your RS out of the RA-1 with Eric Clapton Unplugged.

This is an awesome thread, by the way! I definitely agree that the RS1i is better sounding than the RS1 classics produced from 2002ish until the driver update. Different than the Vintage S/A/B, but I kind of prefer the RS1i for a lot of the music I listen to. It's a little crisper and cleaner, though missing some of the fullness and depth. Even trade-off to me. My current pair is SN #10282, but according to John Grado these numbers aren't really the exact number of phones made before yours so much as a tracking system to see where they end up post sale for repairs. He wouldn't be more specific about it beyond that. Side-note on Vintage Grados, and Classic A; there's no serial numbers on those. Older RS2s also lack the serial number. Those numbers didn't come into use until roughly 2003. If it's got a number, it's Classic B. The Classic B is the majority of RS1 out there, as far as I know. 

There's a nice looking RS1 on the FS, by the way... they're saying it's 5 years old but the cups are a dead ringer for the older Vintage A. I know that some of the older and less finished cups ended up on "Late Friday" RS1 Classic B, but these are way better looking than those. 

Also, it's so funny that people miss the buttons on the Reference Series. I remember for so long people tried to figure out how to take them off without damaging their headphones, and how a couple of people went MS-Pro because they figured the button impacted sound quality. 

Quote:

Budget is $500 or less.

Thanks,
C.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #116 of 272
The RA-1 is just a Cmoy amp.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #117 of 272
My understanding is that the parts are actually cheaper than the average C-Moy. But hey, have you heard it with an RS?

Quote:
The RA-1 is just a Cmoy amp.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #118 of 272
Yea, the RS2 with the RA-1 at 32ohm, it sounded good, but my Little dot MKII pairs just as well with it.  The Grado amps are the pinnacle of synergy with headphones, but that does not mean that it's  worth the money,

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #119 of 272
Sounds like it's all pretty personal as a decision, right? At the right price (between $200 and $250) I think the RA-1 is a great amp for Grado headphones. I don't care for the Little Dot MKII, but I understand that you might feel differently. 

As well, here's a little more information about the RA-1, if anyone is interested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/91223/is-the-grado-ra-1-a-cmoy/30#post_5778838

It should be noted that while Grado Labs has some lovely Melos amps, it isn't often that they're fired up anymore.
Quote:
Yea, the RS2 with the RA-1 at 32ohm, it sounded good, but my Little dot MKII pairs just as well with it.  The Grado amps are the pinnacle of synergy with headphones, but that does not mean that it's  worth the money,

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #120 of 272

Quote:

This is an awesome thread, by the way! I definitely agree that the RS1i is better sounding than the RS1 classics produced from 2002ish until the driver update. Different than the Vintage S/A/B, but I kind of prefer the RS1i for a lot of the music I listen to. It's a little crisper and cleaner, though missing some of the fullness and depth. Even trade-off to me. My current pair is SN #10282, but according to John Grado these numbers aren't really the exact number of phones made before yours so much as a tracking system to see where they end up post sale for repairs. He wouldn't be more specific about it beyond that. Side-note on Vintage Grados, and Classic A; there's no serial numbers on those. Older RS2s also lack the serial number. Those numbers didn't come into use until roughly 2003. If it's got a number, it's Classic B. The Classic B is the majority of RS1 out there, as far as I know. 

Welcome to the club Mercuttio, it is good to see you around this thread and guess what I have just recently received my new RS1i serial #10286!  Our phones must be siblings, I bet they shared the same cardboard box on the floors of Grado's factory when they were just a bunch of RS1 drivers LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back