Grado RS series Owner club!
Apr 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #151 of 272
Those most certainly will not have a serial number. Fantastic find, and they look to be in ideal condition. Can you take a close up picture of the drivers?

The foam pads are only adhered to the cups because they were never removed early on... the wood treatments that Grado applies seem to take a while to cure, and generally they put the pads on before they are fully cured. If you're gentle you can probably remove them without any damage to the pads, and you most likely cannot damage the wood. Some black foam might still remain, but you can rub it off gently.

I do not suggest trying these with newer bowl style pads though... they're tuned for flat pads.
Quote:

Here is the box...I think the latch points to Vintage S or Vintage A.

And here are 'phones as presented in the box. It smells old when you open it up and as you can see, the felt is coming unglued and is thus curling up around the edges. The pads seem to be adhered pretty tight to the wooden cups and I'm afraid I'll permanently damage them if I force them off the look for a serial number. Would RS1s of this vintage even have a serial #?

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #152 of 272

Quote:
Those most certainly will not have a serial number. Fantastic find, and they look to be in ideal condition. Can you take a close up picture of the drivers?

The foam pads are only adhered to the cups because they were never removed early on... the wood treatments that Grado applies seem to take a while to cure, and generally they put the pads on before they are fully cured. If you're gentle you can probably remove them without any damage to the pads, and you most likely cannot damage the wood. Some black foam might still remain, but you can rub it off gently.

I do not suggest trying these with newer bowl style pads though... they're tuned for flat pads.

Aren't these ^^ the bowl type pads you speak of? Maybe the original owner made the swap. Should I try to retrofit with the flat pads so they sound like they should?

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #153 of 272
Whoa, yeah... dude. Those are the wrong pads for that headphone! Those are old drivers, and in better condition than could be hoped. Really, really excellent stuff.

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=127

These are the pads that were intended for this headphone, and trust me, they'll sound a lot better with them on. If I had a spare pair still kicking around my house, I'd mail them to you.
Quote:

Aren't these ^^ the bowl type pads you speak of? Maybe the original owner made the swap. Should I try to retrofit with the flat pads so they sound like they should?

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #154 of 272

Quote:
Whoa, yeah... dude. Those are the wrong pads for that headphone! Those are old drivers, and in better condition than could be hoped. Really, really excellent stuff.

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=127

These are the pads that were intended for this headphone, and trust me, they'll sound a lot better with them on. If I had a spare pair still kicking around my house, I'd mail them to you.

I've always wondered, if the bowls are too big and my ear touches the driver, will the those work or would i have the same problems? I have my S cush on the rs1i now (quarter modded)

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #155 of 272
As an owner of the rs1s close cousin the ms pro. I just swapped the bowls for flats today and think I've found audio nirvana. Grado/alessandro woodies with flats I think is what nature intended - such a warm , natural and realistic tone that is unrivaled in the headphone world. There are more detailed cans around but not many can give you the natural vocal and acoustic timbre of the woody grados.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #156 of 272
If the quarter modded s-cush works, the old fashioned flat will most likely keep your ear from touching the driver too.
Quote:

I've always wondered, if the bowls are too big and my ear touches the driver, will the those work or would i have the same problems? I have my S cush on the rs1i now (quarter modded)

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #158 of 272
I don't think that's a Vintage B. I think that's more a Classic A. White drivers and such.
Quote:
my rs-1 "semi vintage B", no serial number.. my baby ohh

shortly drivers rs-1i..
I want rs1 with pink drivers.. lol

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #159 of 272
I see maconhel has the same pads on his that I currently have. So Mercuttio, the pads you linked are the ones I should spring for? Any other retailers that have the originals for cheaper or is $35 about what they command...I usually order stuff from B&H. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #160 of 272
As far as I know, TTVJ is the ONLY place to get the original pads. They're also a Head-Fi sponsor and run by an awesome dude.

Trust me, those are the ones you want.
Quote:
I see maconhel has the same pads on his that I currently have. So Mercuttio, the pads you linked are the ones I should spring for? Any other retailers that have the originals for cheaper or is $35 about what they command...I usually order stuff from B&H. 

May 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #162 of 272
Quote:
photo the box

I have a rs-1 stranger?

Nice times Maconhel - is the RS1i taking up your time away from the PS1000's these days?

May 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #163 of 272
May 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #165 of 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back