Grado PS500 vs Alessandro music series 2 MS2i
Mar 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nw130d

100+ Head-Fier
Recently sold my Alessandro MS1i, looking to upgrade to something similar in sound signature. The logical choice is MS2i but read some good reviews on the PS500 and have demoed the PS500 recently. However it is not possible to demo the MS2i.

My questions is has anyone experience the PS500 and Alessandro MS2, would you like to share you thoughts?

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 26
No answer  
confused_face_2.gif

I have a pair of SR80i and I have mi mind set on the PS500. A little comparison between these two might save me a couple of bucks.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 26
pm jaywillin....I am pretty sure he has heard both 
smile.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 26
PS500 will have more bass and a smoother treble because it has a punched out hole and dampened magnet, while MS2 has not.
MS2 will be tighter/faster sounding though with more neutral timbre

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 26
If the PS500 is more of a side step in sound signature than over all sound quality, I then prob lean towards the MS2i. Price alone is a good reason, leaves spare cash and then some to try the NAD HP50!

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 26
The MS-1i is based on the Grado SR-80i, but some think it is closer to the SR 125i in sound and performance quality.  The SR line is about a forward sound, small sound stage and slam.

The MS-2i is based on the SR-325is, which is a true transition can between the SR and RS lines.  The MS-2i tames the treble of the the SR-325is a bit, which more than a few have found to be harsh or worse.  The MS-2i is an excellent can with most of the slam of the SR line; some of the larger sound stage of the RS line; more extended bass than the rest of the SR line;  less extended bass than the RS line but with more bass slam; better clarity and imaging than in the SR line but below the RS line.

The PS-500 is a dark headphone--the only dark Grado I have heard.  I have heard them all except for the PS-1000.

I prefer both the MS-2i and MS-Pro over the PS-500.  Both the Alessandros are more neutral.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_MSPRO

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 26
my experience jives with kg jag's
i actually think the ms2i sounds very much like the rs1i, i've not heard the rs2i

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 26
I've just bought a pair of Ms2's second hand so i should have them sometime next week.   I also own the Ms1, Ms-Pro, (had to complete the collection), and also the Grado 80i and 225i so i will let you know how they all fit in line.  My current order of preference is the Ms-Pro, Ms1, 225i, and 80i in that order, so i suspect the Ms2 will drop into 2nd place.

From what i have read, and looking at the response curve i really don't think the PS500's would be my cup of tea.  I am very interested to try the RS1 so might pick up a second hand pair at some stage.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 26
my experience jives with kg jag's
i actually think the ms2i sounds very much like the rs1i, i've not heard the rs2i

That's interesting.

I've just bought a pair of Ms2's second hand so i should have them sometime next week.   I also own the Ms1, Ms-Pro, (had to complete the collection), and also the Grado 80i and 225i so i will let you know how they all fit in line.  My current order of preference is the Ms-Pro, Ms1, 225i, and 80i in that order, so i suspect the Ms2 will drop into 2nd place.

From what i have read, and looking at the response curve i really don't think the PS500's would be my cup of tea.  I am very interested to try the RS1 so might pick up a second hand pair at some stage.

Looking forward to your impressions :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 26
I would agree that the MS-2i sounds more like the RS line than any of the SR cans.  However, I don't hear it as sounding like the RS line.  In its Grado form, it was properly labeled an SR can, as both it and (to an even greater degree) SR-325is are more like the SR's than the two RS headphones.  But they do hint at some of the ways the RS's are different from their lesser priced cousins in the SR line (and the Alessandro's based on SR's).

The RS pulls the sound apart, placing it in a significantly bigger sound stage than the SR cans do.  The sound is smoother; more detailed; more extended; but with far less slam.  The RS cans are on the bright side.  They are very similar to one another.  Because of this the RS-2i is a significantly better value, even if not the better headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back