Grado PS500 vs Alessandro music series 2 MS2i
Apr 13, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #16 of 26
  I've just bought a pair of Ms2's second hand so i should have them sometime next week.   I also own the Ms1, Ms-Pro, (had to complete the collection), and also the Grado 80i and 225i so i will let you know how they all fit in line.  My current order of preference is the Ms-Pro, Ms1, 225i, and 80i in that order, so i suspect the Ms2 will drop into 2nd place.

From what i have read, and looking at the response curve i really don't think the PS500's would be my cup of tea.  I am very interested to try the RS1 so might pick up a second hand pair at some stage.

That's interesting.  I put the SR-225i a step above the MS-1i, which I here as very close in quality to the the SR-125i.  I hear the 125i as just a bit better than the MS-1i, which in turn beats the 80i by a wider margin than it loses to the 125i.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 26
PS500 and PS1000 personally disappointed me, really impressive and all, but no warmth and texture to the music like the rs1i or alessandros.
the PS series is just not my cup of tea, thats all.
felt like GS1000 sounded more similar to the alessandros than anything. and then there is even more warmth and texture to the rs1i than the alessandros so rs1i is my personal favorite

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 26
  PS500 and PS1000 personally disappointed me, really impressive and all, but no warmth and texture to the music like the rs1i or alessandros.
the PS series is just not my cup of tea, thats all.
felt like GS1000 sounded more similar to the alessandros than anything. and then there is even more warmth and texture to the rs1i than the alessandros so rs1i is my personal favorite

You may like the GS-1000i.  It sounds like an improved and enhanced RS-1i

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 26

You may like the GS-1000i.  It sounds like an improved and enhanced RS-1i

I meant the GS-1000i :p but I feel like they're two different phones because of the sheer size of the heaphones themselves and the soundstage. Still love the rs1i because of the sweet sound. (otherwise, I am a full-time HD650 fan).

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 26

That's interesting.  I put the SR-225i a step above the MS-1i, which I here as very close in quality to the the SR-125i.  I hear the 125i as just a bit better than the MS-1i, which in turn beats the 80i by a wider margin than it loses to the 125i.

Yeah i kind of agree.  The 225i is the technically better headphone in terms of detail and resolution, but due to the peaky treble i prefer to listen to the more balanced Ms1.   Its more of a personal preference scale than a technical ability scale.

Also agree that the difference between 80i and Ms1 is huge, to the point i find the 80i hard to listen to.  I've never heard the 125i but that is an interesting observation as i found the Ms1 and 225i to be very close, but as above i just prefer the Ms1 overall.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 26
  I would agree that the MS-2i sounds more like the RS line than any of the SR cans.  However, I don't hear it as sounding like the RS line.  In its Grado form, it was properly labeled an SR can, as both it and (to an even greater degree) SR-325is are more like the SR's than the two RS headphones.  But they do hint at some of the ways the RS's are different from their lesser priced cousins in the SR line (and the Alessandro's based on SR's).

The RS pulls the sound apart, placing it in a significantly bigger sound stage than the SR cans do.  The sound is smoother; more detailed; more extended; but with far less slam.

I agree 100% with the above, i posted a comparison of the Alessandro range here http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/13830 and come to the same conclusions.

As for the OP's question of Ms2 vs PS500.  The Ms2 is a bright headphone, probably the 2nd brightest of them all after the 325i.  And from all i have read on the PS500 its probably the darkest of the Grado range so i have to conclude that these two are as far apart as possible within the Grado family. Bet that doesn't help you at all does it?

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 26

I agree 100% with the above, i posted a comparison of the Alessandro range here http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/13830 and come to the same conclusions.

As for the OP's question of Ms2 vs PS500.  The Ms2 is a bright headphone, probably the 2nd brightest of them all after the 325i.  And from all i have read on the PS500 its probably the darkest of the Grado range so i have to conclude that these two are as far apart as possible within the Grado family. Bet that doesn't help you at all does it?

I have demoed the 325i as well those are on the bright side to me. BUT I personally found I can adjust to any sound and like it over time one example is the shure se425 I found overly bright but now is my daily carry around. Most of my headphone collection is on the warm side and use Grado to change it up. IMO Grado does bright sound better than any and would always like to have one in my collection.

Thanks for all the input and people that took the time to PM me... got the info I am looking for, going to take a risk and order the MS2i. Others feel free to chime in and continue the discussion as I am sure future head-fi'ers would appreciate it

May 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 26
Need advice about pad in Alessandro MS2i/Grado325is.

I found there are 3 types of pad can be used:
1.Bowl Pad (default)
2.Flat Pad 
3.G-Cush Pad

Can anyone share the sound signature for each pad mentioned above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back