Grado PS2000e
Jun 2, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #31 of 97
i'll certainly be giving these a listen when they become available at my local dealer and comparing them directly to the ps1000e. i'd also be interested in seeing how they measure compared to their professional series predecessors. until then, i can't help but feel sceptical about the price hike and claims of significantly improved performance.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #32 of 97
Grado needs to do more to justify that $1000 (58%~) increase in price (e.g. higher quality build, etc). I'll audition a pair when they are available, but I'm skeptical of major sonic improvements that makes me cough out that additional grand.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #34 of 97
From The Wishful Thinking Department...

Given what we already know about the PS2000e (price, maple inside aluminum, same headband/support mechanism as PS1000e,...) what would YOU want the PS2000e to add that other Grados do not have (nothing in violation of what we already know, e.g. don't ask for GS2000e all-wood cups)?

More bass? More mids? Flat response? Larger soundstage?

I would ask for the same Grado sound as the PS1000e but with the addition of:

1) A separable bass component, as if one were using the Grados in a room with a great bass speaker (not just the rumble of a subwoofer, but the harmonics of the bass that help perceive its pitch - but no perturbation of the mids and highs), and
2) Larger sound stage, on the order of the Sennheiser HD 800 or HiFiMAN HE1000.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #35 of 97
From The Wishful Thinking Department...

Given what we already know about the PS2000e (price, maple inside aluminum, same headband/support mechanism as PS1000e,...) what would YOU want the PS2000e to add that other Grados do not have (nothing in violation of what we already know, e.g. don't ask for GS2000e all-wood cups)?

More bass? More mids? Flat response? Larger soundstage?

I would ask for the same Grado sound as the PS1000e but with the addition of:

1) A separable bass component, as if one were using the Grados in a room with a great bass speaker (not just the rumble of a subwoofer, but the harmonics of the bass that help perceive its pitch - but no perturbation of the mids and highs), and
2) Larger sound stage, on the order of the Sennheiser HD 800 or HiFiMAN HE1000.
Doesn't leave much room for a wish list does it? Sonically, I wish for an additional bass unit like you. Perhaps swap that doughnut box for a maple vault lined with lush velvet.

But for that extra grand, I would expect a mix of the below:

- Larger than 50mm drivers
- 7N OCC replaceable cables
- Redesigned headband to support these heavy cans.
- Pad options
- Definitely a premium box.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #37 of 97
For nearly $3k, if my experience didn't match a $695 experience I could have had in the late 90's I would be pretty upset. Nice thick gimbal system, nice box, oozes quality, makes the person buying your flagship feel special - What happened, Grado?
IMG_3679.JPG

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #39 of 97
I have enjoyed my vintage RS1 for a good number of years and they still have a special musicality. They also unfortunately do not come anywhere vaguely close to the PS2000e nor should they given the difference in cost. I am hoping to find some time on a very busy weekend so that I can begin adding to a thread I started last night to give impressions. The new Flagship is capable of a very special and genuine listening experience. More to come soon.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #40 of 97
Wow...my $1,656.00 GS2Ke w/ XLR termination is something of a bargain now. Without a doubt the PS2Ke will hold the least value for resale and makes Grado look like they are joining the inflated overpriced ranks of flagship headphones.

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #41 of 97
Did you have an opportunity to compare it to the GS2000e?

Wow...my $1,656.00 GS2Ke w/ XLR termination is something of a bargain now. Without a doubt the PS2Ke will hold the least value for resale and makes Grado look like they are joining the inflated overpriced ranks of flagship headphones.

The GS2000e is and will continue to be a great value, I do like mine very much. Although it may appear that Grado is following the ranks but it's performance is the determining factor and in that regard I feel is placed where it should be. I doubt I will be reaching for any other of my many other phones (check my profile) too often now that the new Flagship has joined my collection. Of course all of the above is based on my opinions but instead of following the typical diminishing returns theory I would consider them at least twice as good as any other top quality Grado. I am anxious to be posting more impressions as I have the time and get my mini review and impressions further along. These babies I feel will be getting raves as they get listened to, they really are avtrue to life experience IMHO. I predict they will hold a very good resale valley if anyone decides to give them a new home. My PS1000e will be posted for sale as soon as I get some more time in comparisons. As they will continue to remain in the Grado lineup I do not expect the arrival of the new Flagship will negatively affect their resale value either. There is no mistaking the fact that the PS2000e are expensive but as I have compared to one popular recently introduced Flagship that is well over $1000 more expensive I found the third prototype of the Grado matched and more. When I had the opportunity to do the same with the fourth and final PS2ke which became the version now in production the gap was even more impressive. All of a sudden the Grado pricing makes sense and is actually a value in that situation. The PS2000e took a lot of research and experimenting to arrive tbwhat I consider a landmark performer, it is extremely natural and real in it's presentation.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #45 of 97
Very excited about this new Grado, I hope it has a more relaxed treble response in order to enjoy it with a large variety of sources. Anyway the price is quite high, and you have some crazy good competition on the market these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back