Grado PS2000e
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #76 of 97
the ps2000e was less u-shaped to my ears. i can't comment with any confidence on how the imaging compared or which was brighter because the comparison was so brief.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #77 of 97
the ps2000e was less u-shaped to my ears. i can't comment with any confidence on how the imaging compared or which was brighter because the comparison was so brief.

Less "U" is indeed an improvement. While I preferred the less "U" PS1000e to the PS1000, I still would prefer less "U". :wink:
Thanks!

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #80 of 97
no doubt. it's just that you're a utopia owner so i thought i'd mention it.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #83 of 97
I wonder how these compare to the original ps1000, brushed metal. they are my favorite and I own many extremely high end cans. such as he90,sr009,utopia,mdr-r1,qualia 010 etc. luckily I think I can hear them and bring mine with. it wil be a bit until I get there though. just because they are new and improved does not mean I will like them better or maybe I will, as with al things audio it is subjective. I am certainly interested. maple may not be my sound but mahogany certainly is. just have to hear them. unless anyone else has compared them I would like to know your thoughts. not the "e" and not the shiny cups. The original. mine is #13. I also have a cable on them that costs 50x what the headphones do. I had the wire so put t to use. it did not change the sound 50x but I would say it improved it nicely. I do not know how that cable would jive with the new ones. it is silver over god in a ptfe air tube. I have 16 awg32 conductors per channel. I am using my Cullen modded, and further modded gcha from psa. it is actually the best amp I have heard with them and I have many high end amps as well. it will be interesting for me to hear these when I get a chance. not in a hurry as I am happy with the ps1k. just remember anything I say is solely my opinion and may not be yours. that is true of everything here other than bonafide science. I think reviews are nice but unless you are just a billionaire I highly suggest anyone hear for themselves any major purchase. btw, where is this review that I take is negative? apparently so much so, they refrained from linking it again.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #85 of 97
well, like I said the psk1, original is my favorite headphone ever. so I am going to be biased. see that is the problem with anyones views, they are subjective. I always stress this because I am about honesty. that being said, I think the utopia has more going on in deep bass and it has some more detail. it is completely different than the ps1k. at that level it is like are you a Porsche, or Ferrari person. certainly competitors but completely different approaches. I just like the entire presentation of the original ps1k more than anything. even though there are much more competent headphones. I think the ps1k and utopia ae very different but on the same level. you really need to hear the utopia and judge fr yourself. if you do like the utopia better the ps1k was the wrong headphone for you to begin with. it is not an upgrade, it is much different. if it is an upgrade to you is a personal matter. I can talk forever like some people do but you really need to hear them so you can judge. if you are seriously in the market then I would certainly seek out a emo. liking the ps1k so much after a while with the utopia I thought it was great but not my sound. that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever. with any headphones really. well, I mean you do not compare porta pro to the sr009 but you know what I mean. I feel the ps1k was enough to my liking I will a/b them with anything at any price but that is just me personally. ymmv big time. now, I just wonder if the ps2ke builds on this sound nicely or if it went in a different direction. newer,"better",more money is not always going to be what any given individual likes. what one person hears another may not. this is why I always stress, unless you have more money than brains you need to listen or have a return policy. I enjoy what others say, but I would strongly advise not make purchase decisions site unseen with no recourse.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #86 of 97
i haven't compared the ps2000e directly with the ps1000 so take my impression with the requisite dose of salt, but the former sounded less u-shaped in that the mids seemed more present and the bass (mid-bass that is) reduced. it still sounded like a psk to me but a less extreme version of it if that makes sense.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #87 of 97
well, like I said the psk1, original is my favorite headphone ever. so I am going to be biased. see that is the problem with anyones views, they are subjective. I always stress this because I am about honesty. that being said, I think the utopia has more going on in deep bass and it has some more detail. it is completely different than the ps1k. at that level it is like are you a Porsche, or Ferrari person. certainly competitors but completely different approaches. I just like the entire presentation of the original ps1k more than anything. even though there are much more competent headphones. I think the ps1k and utopia ae very different but on the same level. you really need to hear the utopia and judge fr yourself. if you do like the utopia better the ps1k was the wrong headphone for you to begin with. it is not an upgrade, it is much different. if it is an upgrade to you is a personal matter. I can talk forever like some people do but you really need to hear them so you can judge. if you are seriously in the market then I would certainly seek out a emo. liking the ps1k so much after a while with the utopia I thought it was great but not my sound. that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever. with any headphones really. well, I mean you do not compare porta pro to the sr009 but you know what I mean. I feel the ps1k was enough to my liking I will a/b them with anything at any price but that is just me personally. ymmv big time. now, I just wonder if the ps2ke builds on this sound nicely or if it went in a different direction. newer,"better",more money is not always going to be what any given individual likes. what one person hears another may not. this is why I always stress, unless you have more money than brains you need to listen or have a return policy. I enjoy what others say, but I would strongly advise not make purchase decisions site unseen with no recourse.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #88 of 97
Thanks for that music_man, the reviews for the utopia have been very good and i know it is subjective view and i appreciate your opinion. I do like my ps1000 and i just wanted someones opinion on the utopias which you have to compare, which here in the UK costs more than twice as much but i guessed it wouldn't be twice the quality.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #89 of 97
i haven't directly compared the utopia to the ps1000 either, but i feel confident in saying that it has a much more balanced or even presentation to my ears with exceptional clarity, resolution, imaging and dynamics.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #90 of 97
the utopia is a more competent headphone. however what I like so much mostly is the u. if the 2k is less extreme I don't know. like I always say I have to hear it. even the utopia is a more refined, competent headphone I prefer the ps1k. the original brushed cup was like a 300# muscleman that uses brute force. some hate it and some love it. well balanced, I would not give it. it really depends on what someone is looking for. there is no right or wrong but I would say usually you have to spend at least $500usd to get into anything decent in any way. obviously stock iPhone buds are not good headphones by any measure. I think that is almost universal. get to a point and it is just whatever you like. I have been lucky to have a lot of high end gear but I still have my favorite headphones. the ps1k. dacs for instance above $2,500 it is hard to tell. until you get to msb,dcs and then there is a difference. I do not think it is worth it for most people. be it headphones or other gear. sound playback is highly subjective. when we record your music it is very precise and controlled. just the opposite. honestly I am not interested in hearing what was recorded outside of the studio. I like a certain sound. as I think almost everyone does. otherwise there would be only one hifi company. the utopia is twice as much in the uk in usd? if so, trade rules suck but I can't change them. once I had huge trouble with customs, us. they were just not being honest or fair. held up my package 3 months. anyways if you really like the ps1k I do not think you will like more refined headphones. if you hate it, go looking. from the description of the ps2ke I am not sure going to the store. it is very far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back