Grado PS1000 slippy rod
Dec 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

axe

New Head-Fier
Haven't posted in a long while (making the wallpapers for HF was fun) but recently bit the bullet and grabbed the Grado PS1000. After falling in love with the Grado sound, thanks to my 225i's, I couldn't hold back any longer and now I'm in audio bliss. But there's a small problem. Unfortunately, the rod on the left post is loose and slips down, in part due to the weight of the metal. The right side is fine and tight but I keep having to readjust the left side.

I can send them back to the shop where I purchased them or directly to Grado in the US, but would have to wait (probably a considerable time) for them to repair it and have them sent back. If it was a serious problem I wouldn't hesitate, but this is more of a nuisance. My 225 is getting recabled as the original ones split, so if I send them back I'm left with no headphones and TBH I just don't want to miss a day without my PS1000! So... having done a search I've found a few solutions: rod locks, nail varnish and blu-tack. If there are any others... I've missed them.

I'd rather not start drilling holes or having to send them to get recabled+rod locked so any feedback on the other two solutions would be very helpful, especially if a long term solution is available.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Rod locks are the way to go, I've added them to all my Grados. However that requires drilling holes in the two plastic Rod Blocks. You might try adding a small plastic wire tie to the rod at the top of the Rod Block, adjust the phones and then place a small drop of crazy glue to the wire tie. Should you change your mind about drilling holes, contact me and I'll put together some How-to instructions.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 13
If you would...I would love to see some instructions. I am having the exact same problem with my 325's and I don't object to drilling a couple holes in the blocks.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Rod locks are the way to go, I've added them to all my Grados. However that requires drilling holes in the two plastic Rod Blocks. You might try adding a small plastic wire tie to the rod at the top of the Rod Block, adjust the phones and then place a small drop of crazy glue to the wire tie. Should you change your mind about drilling holes, contact me and I'll put together some How-to instructions.

Dude, would you write up some instructions? I've seen pictures of grados with the locks, and always wondered how they did it.

I'd certainly be grateful.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 13
I've had this same problem with my RS1i's.
Just apply a little bit of clear nail polish to the metal rods. It the easiest way to fix it, and you won´t ruin the headphones in any way by drilling holes or glueing plastic rings to them.
You won´t notice the nail polish and if you do want to remove it, just wipe it off with some nail polish remover stuff.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 13
The AD suggested sending them in for repair. I don't know if that means they will order a new head band or simply fix the part that is defective. Either way, I'm out of headphones for the holidays (or longer) so I'd rather try alternatives.

The rod lock certainly seems a good idea and it's a shame Grado hasn't implemented a better system for adjusting the cans (especially on the heavier metal ones). At some point I'd like to recable the PS1000 so could end up fitting Headphile's rod locks then. For now, I'm not sure I see myself drilling holes etc... but if someone can post some detailed instructions that would be very helpful.

So far I've tested some modelling varnish I had put away instead of the nail polish. I placed a tiny piece of blu-tack in the gap between the rod and the black plastic and the coated an area of the rod with varnish twice. It seems to have done the job and it doesn't slide anymore. 24hrs later I can hold the headphones in my hand and both sides are level. Nice! Now, I wonder how long this will last before having to repeat the process.

I love Grado and don't see myself buying any other brand of headphones, but they should invest a little in R+D, especially in their flagship headphones.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Get a piece of string, place adhesive on it and insert it inside the R-L plastic on the sides, while moving it up and down to coat the walls with the adhesive. Then remove the string, and reinsert the rod. The inside walls of the R-L plastic should be thicker due to the adhesive and should provide more friction.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Adding Rod Locks to Grado Headphones

You will need:
2 one-half inch (black or silver) hex cap screws with 10/24 thread (Lowes, Home Depot)
          10/24 thread tap
          5/32” drill bit

Removing the Rod blocks (the black plastic thingies marked “L” & “R”)
Mark the headphone cups “left” and “right” and remove them from the rod blocks.

Holding the Head Band near the rod block, rock the rod block front-to-back and then twist side-to-side. Some come off easy, others need a little work, but they ALL come off.

Drilling the holes

With the rod blocks off, drill a 5/32” hole ½” deep in the center of the end of the block where the Rod hole is. Wrap masking tape around the drill bit to mark ½”. I use a small Drill Press for this step, it assures me of having a straight hole. A hand held drill will work fine, but do hold the block in a vise to help assure you don’t elongate the hole when drilling.

Reassembly

Thread the hole using the 10/24 thread tap.

Replace the Rod blocks on the headband, they usually fit tight. If they don’t a small drop of Super Glue will fix the problem. Replace the cups and thread the cap screws in the newly drilled and tapped holes.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Can do fatcat's or just get some set-screw collars. Mine are 3mm bore (tight but perfect fit), Americans can look for 1/8" bore. Slide one below and one above the L,R things and lock them in place and cups can't go up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back