GRADO PS1 received. holy cow!!!
Sep 26, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #91 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Heh, not fair...not fair at all. But then, in an RS-1 scenario, I pick HP4, so which wins?
biggrin.gif

Okay let make it interesting.

Melos/hp-1 combo against a ear/rs-1 combo. Now you of all people seeming that you are an ultra grado geek knows that the melos/hp-combo is a better all rounder for different genre's of music.

The ear/Rs-1 is limited in the genres but in certain types it might excel say for example the mtv unplugged sessions.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #92 of 107
Heh...well, no doubt the HP1000/Melos is very snappy, hard hitting, quite neutral but not ruler flat (get a Gilmore for that) and it has air, space, good soundstaging etc. I will admit that perhaps overall, it may be a winner but the RS1/Ear would win for me in jazz, string dominated orchestral and edgy rock (because of the guitars).

When we venture into electronica...do I choose the abundant bass of the RS1's? Or the harder hitting HP1000's? Tough call, historically I have prefered RS-1's for Electronica so I would choose the RS1/HP4 combo.

So let's see, for me, most of my music would fall into the RS1/HP4 zone, I guess a reason leading to my willingness to sell the HP-1's but not the RS-1's.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #93 of 107
Quote:

Heh...well, no doubt the HP1000/Melos is very snappy, hard hitting, quite neutral but not ruler flat (get a Gilmore for that) and it has air, space, good soundstaging etc. I will admit that perhaps overall, it may be a winner but the RS1/Ear would win for me in jazz, string dominated orchestral and edgy rock (because of the guitars).

When we venture into electronica...do I choose the abundant bass of the RS1's? Or the harder hitting HP1000's? Tough call, historically I have prefered RS-1's for Electronica so I would choose the RS1/HP4 combo.

So let's see, for me, most of my music would fall into the RS1/HP4 zone, I guess a reason leading to my willingness to sell the HP-1's but not the RS-1's.

But in not all swings and roundabouts it. I bet you 10 buckaroos you miss that SNAP.

Aso if you were to use the melos/hp-combo for watching movies and games you would find the melos/hp-combo beats the ear/rs-1 combo. As it is much better suited for it.

I feel sorry for a grado geek such as yourself. So many tough decisions. Throw into the mix the ps-1 and gs1k and things start to get trickier.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #94 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
But in not all swings and roundabouts it. I bet you 10 buckaroos you miss that SNAP.

Aso if you were to use the melos/hp-combo for watching movies and games you would find the melos/hp-combo beats the ear/rs-1 combo. As it is much better suited for it.

I feel sorry for a grado geek such as yourself. So many tough decisions. Throw into the mix the ps-1 and gs1k and things start to get trickier.

Heh, I miss the HP-1000 snap like you can't believe. It is something I look forward to revisiting when the time is right. I will own the HP-1000's again, the first chance I get.

As for movies and games, yes, without a doubt I would choose the HP-1000/Melos, without thinking twice.

As for PS-1's and GS-1000's, oh boy, it gets crazy adding those in, though for me, PS-1 is better suited for Melos...GS-1000's for Ear. Almost apropos
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #95 of 107
Quote:

Heh, I miss the HP-1000 snap like you can't believe. It is something I look forward to revisiting when the time is right. I will own the HP-1000's again, the first chance I get.

As for movies and games, yes, without a doubt I would choose the HP-1000/Melos, without thinking twice.

As for PS-1's and GS-1000's, oh boy, it gets crazy adding those in, though for me, PS-1 is better suited for Melos...GS-1000's for Ear. Almost apropos
smily_headphones1.gif

Admit it Jay you love them all. And that's how you earned your rep isn't it on a UK forum....
rs1smile.gif

You got the title from a computing overclocking forum from a member you don't know but dissed you. How could you get dissed by a bigger set of geeks?
rs1smile.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #96 of 107
Here is my beloved PS225. Grado rocks!!!!

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #98 of 107
Wo, 3 year bump haha. They look amazing! But a PS225? I've never heard of them before..

Edit: Oh wait, I think I get it. Did you get a regular SR225 and modify the housing?

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #99 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wo, 3 year bump haha. They look amazing! But a PS225? I've never heard of them before..

Edit: Oh wait, I think I get it. Did you get a regular SR225 and modify the housing?

Yep,, you are right.
It is 225 with ps1 like aluminum housing.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #101 of 107
No one has their personal set of hd800s yet, for one thing. For another, many of the that have heard the hd800s DID give blown out of the water reactions. People with a lot of good gear...

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #102 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come we don't get this initial blown out of the water reaction from impression for the HD800? Somehow, I have this gut feeling that most will like the PS1000 over the HD800.

Everyone's too busy picking it apart before they've even seen it in person, much less heard it
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #104 of 107
Here is my beloved PS225. Grado rocks!!!!

Hi there, I appreciate this is a long shot as this post is over ten years old, but...is there any chance you recall where you sourced the aluminium gimbals in this pic from? I have a pair of PS500e's that I'd like to treat to some metal gimbals to complete the look.

Cheers!

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #105 of 107
I made the myself. At the time, I was in school and had access to a machine shop. I used auto CAD and CNC milling machine to make them. I believe I got the measurements from here but do not remember from whom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back