GRADO PS1 received. holy cow!!!
Sep 26, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #76 of 107
guys (and girls
tongue.gif
)

the PS1 is not anymore available on the PhonoPhono Homepage

so i Gratz everyone in the 180 ??? Member PS1 community for owning something really rare and special
very_evil_smiley.gif

MasterLoki

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #77 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoki
Really ?

i emailed them and received a reply after 1 day at phonophono
and at active-audio after 2 to 3 days
active audio said to me i should email Hifi-Circle but the owner said to me the PS1 where outsold ---> then i emailed to phonophono and i got fast 1 day reply and he said the ps1 is outsold too then i send a mail back about the head-fi thread here where a switzerland member got one
again fast reply this time the phonophono owner, he apologized to me because a trainee replyd to me and he said i still can get me one for 1500€, big big price for a Headphone and i must admit that i cogitated a few days but then i pulled the trigger and i got my PS1 ---> AND I DONT REGRET IT
evil_smiley.gif

he said also i that my PS1 was one of the last ones
maybe now the headphone is outsold, i dont know...

MasterLoki

redface.gif

It's me that bought one of the last pair if not very likely the very last pair from hifi circle

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #80 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoki
wrote also a mail to hifi circle at that time ;P

the owner said to me its outsold (he also spoke with active-audio)
then i found one at PhonoPhono ^^

did you get it ?

( you know , if you're not getting it I'm going to do it )
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #81 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
Zanth
do you think the hp4 has less dynamics and also can't reach as low as when compared to the Melos ?

Hmmm, tough question. Melos has better bass control no matter what tubes I use in the EAR, so int erms of going lower...because the upper bass is more controlled, one hears the lower bass much more easily. However, in terms of overall dynamics, the EAR has more finesse, the micodynamics are better with it than the Melos but macrodynamics go to the Melos.

Remember though, my Melos is at least a little different than the other ones out there. I'd say that the overall sense of the amp should be the same (dynamics, power etc) but that the 12au7 is at least enough of a different tube from the 6dj8 that some things will be noticeably different between my amp and a typical melos with pre.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #82 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Hmmm, tough question. Melos has better bass control no matter what tubes I use in the EAR, so int erms of going lower...because the upper bass is more controlled, one hears the lower bass much more easily. However, in terms of overall dynamics, the EAR has more finesse, the micodynamics are better with it than the Melos but macrodynamics go to the Melos.

Remember though, my Melos is at least a little different than the other ones out there. I'd say that the overall sense of the amp should be the same (dynamics, power etc) but that the 12au7 is at least enough of a different tube from the 6dj8 that some things will be noticeably different between my amp and a typical melos with pre.

yes..
what tubes conf. do you think the ps-1 would match the best ( Melos ) ? ( and eventually HP-4 too )

I'm quite in an hurry , I've a deal for an hp-4 at the moment even though I think that as long as macrodynamics and bass control are better on the Melos I could very better stay with it to pair the ps-1 which definitely love and benefit from amps that have a nice macrodynamic spread

or I could buy both then sell one ..

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #83 of 107
Here it is straight out:

EAR is a rare amp. If you can get one at a good price, you should not have a problem reselling. I know of a person who is at least mildly interested in this amp so if I know a person, I'm sure others do as well. In my mind, it is the best overall amp for Grados available (note: I have not heard a Moth/Eddie Current nor a SP amp).

The EAR is SET, a very very rare thing in headphone land. The mids are to die for and the tube compliment I use (1944 Sylvania Gold Pins) the mids shine something extraordinary. There are tubes that I can roll in there that will tighten up the bass, but then this affects how ti sounds with RS-1s and GS-1000's, so I don't do it. But Tungsols are excellent in this regard and perhaps RCA's (which I have not yet tested). OVerall though, I prefer the Sylvanias).

As for the Melos, I don't have much experience with the 6dj8 variety, though when I heard a Reference Gold it was using Mullards circa late 50's. My system uses the very rare CBS/Hytron 7318's. These tubes are sickly good (Biggie can confirm though he uses them in his custom SET amp).

The EAR outputs 1W of power. It has balls (for lack of a better word) and drives the music home. It has PRaT in spades but may lose out ultimately in low level resolution to the Melos. I have read many times that some high end SP amps have more detail than the EAR but that the EAR matches incredibly well with Grados. Given it is a true SET, built like a tank and uses cheap tubes...I just love it and will never sell it. You may feel the same once you get your hands on one. Melos is in favour lately so unloading one would be easy I'm sure. Either way you can't lose, both are incredible amps for Grados and perhaps the best of the best really.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #85 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
zanth>pop quiz hotshot choose 1
rs1smile.gif

HP4
smily_headphones1.gif

How's that for a decisively quick answer ! 1:45 pm vs. 1:46 pm
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #86 of 107
Quote:

Here it is straight out:

EAR is a rare amp. If you can get one at a good price, you should not have a problem reselling. I know of a person who is at least mildly interested in this amp so if I know a person, I'm sure others do as well. In my mind, it is the best overall amp for Grados available (note: I have not heard a Moth/Eddie Current nor a SP amp).

The EAR is SET, a very very rare thing in headphone land. The mids are to die for and the tube compliment I use (1944 Sylvania Gold Pins) the mids shine something extraordinary. There are tubes that I can roll in there that will tighten up the bass, but then this affects how ti sounds with RS-1s and GS-1000's, so I don't do it. But Tungsols are excellent in this regard and perhaps RCA's (which I have not yet tested). OVerall though, I prefer the Sylvanias).

As for the Melos, I don't have much experience with the 6dj8 variety, though when I heard a Reference Gold it was using Mullards circa late 50's. My system uses the very rare CBS/Hytron 7318's. These tubes are sickly good (Biggie can confirm though he uses them in his custom SET amp).

The EAR outputs 1W of power. It has balls (for lack of a better word) and drives the music home. It has PRaT in spades but may lose out ultimately in low level resolution to the Melos. I have read many times that some high end SP amps have more detail than the EAR but that the EAR matches incredibly well with Grados. Given it is a true SET, built like a tank and uses cheap tubes...I just love it and will never sell it. You may feel the same once you get your hands on one. Melos is in favour lately so unloading one would be easy I'm sure. Either way you can't lose, both are incredible amps for Grados and perhaps the best of the best really.

I agree with Z here, nice post. Good reference for the Melos and Ear shoppers/fans
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #87 of 107
Quote:

HP4
smily_headphones1.gif

How's that for a decisively quick answer ! 1:45 pm vs. 1:46 pm
wink.gif

Bah foiled again you pesky kids
rs1smile.gif

In a Hp-scenario then
wink.gif
Bet you 10 bux you pick the melos over the hp-4.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #88 of 107
Sep 26, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #89 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Bah foiled again you pesky kids
rs1smile.gif

In a Hp-scenario then
wink.gif
Bet you 10 bux you pick the melos over the hp-4.

Heh, not fair...not fair at all. But then, in an RS-1 scenario, I pick HP4, so which wins?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back