Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #256 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, amp HK5000 or did you mean HK500, which would be quite cheap. Where did you get 10M for HK1000?

Sorry for my silly presentation.

Cost for headamp. = HK$ 5,000.00approx (620usd)
Ditto for mullard 10M(12ax7) = HK$ 6,000.00approx.(770usd)
Ditto for telefunken 803s(12ax7) = HK$ 9,XXX approx. (1200usd.)

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #257 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, pics of those PS1000 posted here seem to look like matt finishing. Can any owner confirm this? Mine is actually shiny and glossy.

DSC01164.jpg

my friend's ps1000 (1XX) is also shiny and glossy too

DSC02110.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #259 of 318
Interesting to know that there's a difference in finishing.

Another pic taken when I first got it which show it's glossy finished:
DSC009321.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, ical!
beerchug.gif

How must this be mounted on the Grados? Hopefully not with needle and thread..?
rolleyes.gif

No problem.

The installation is quite easy. I did it on my own too.
JMoney Audio

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #261 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how many people on head fi have a PS1000?

Difficult to say, maybe it's time to start a new registry thread.

I total, I don't think there's 500 PS1K in the wild yet. My SN are 23x and I don't recall seen one in the 3xx.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #262 of 318
I'm considering selling HD800 for PS1000. Got to audition one in local first though...

Hope my balanced DNA Sonett sings well with them

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #263 of 318
Mine are matte finished as well. (I was wondering about that shiny look in some of the photos I saw). Interestingly, the printing on both cups is a little different too. As mentioned, mine are number 261.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #264 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piotr Ryka, sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience and I hope Grado does right by you. It is extremely disheartening to hear these kind of stories. 1700 USD should and someday will buy American Quality...but at this moment, is saddens me to say the two words American and Quality are difficult to use in the same sentence. I was seriously thinking of slapping down some hard earned US currency on these but, alas, your story is deeply affecting my decision....heck, I really feel it can't get much better than the HD800 and IMHO the GS1000s couldn't hold a candle to the HD800s and I've heard two GS1000s. IF I believe that the PS1000s and the HD800s are in the same league...and that's a big IF, then I would have to use a microscope to compare the two and this would reveal all layers of the transaction. This would and must include customer service and warranty support. Also, I've owned numerous Sennheisers(over 10) and so far....not one Quality issue!...that's a big statement in my mind and it affects whether my wallet opens or not. Also, my Senns get the largest headtime in any given day...so...

I wish you the very best and look forward to hearing a happy ending (please make it right John Grado)!

I know Grado will correct your issues, though...they strive to be the best headphone company in the world and do have world class sound that is unique and fun. A statement of their commitment to headphone lovers and the head-fi community is the HF-1 and HF-2 and the willingness to contribute so much to our community.

This brings me to a thought about the HF-2 aluminum...no spots on mine and no scratches or imperfections whatsoever...but a nice touch on the ps1000s by grado to use the foam cover.

Thank you for yours good words, but I am not specially angry. Of course, it would be better to have working PS-1000 or repair them in a few days, but I cheer up to myself, that better is to have broken PS-1000 than not to have them at all. Despite all this sad story I am grateful to John, that he designed and performed this outstanding headphone.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #265 of 318
Piotr, I have to say, again, that you are a real saint! Such patience and understanding - I'm afraid I would be much less patient than you! But you'll live much longer, I'm sure, with that approach
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #267 of 318
^ Only a few of these are trickling out, so they have to get them before they can give impressions. Patience
regular_smile .gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #268 of 318
hey guys got my ps -1000s 5 days ago. for what i'm hearing now without an amp I'll say not bad, but hardly worth $1700, i'll see what happens when I get an amp and DAC.

One question, the headphones arrived with rubber bands wrapped around the rims, should I take them off? I'd rather keep them to prevent scratches and stuff. But if they're affecting the resonance of the chamber, I'd gladly take them off.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #269 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question, the headphones arrived with rubber bands wrapped around the rims, should I take them off? I'd rather keep them to prevent scratches and stuff. But if they're affecting the resonance of the chamber, I'd gladly take them off.

They are certainly effecting the resonance as they're open headphones and you're currenlty using them closed. Remove them, or at mininum cut a round hole in the protection cover over the grills to let the drivers breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back