Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Nov 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #286 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that ps1000s are closer to gs1000s or hp2s sonically?

I'd say closer to GS-1000's than HP-2's.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #287 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say closer to GS-1000's than HP-2's.

Thank you... This will make me think again about them, since I wasn't impressed with gs1000s when I listened to them...

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #288 of 318
If the HP-2's grabbed at your heart strings, no other current Grado sounds quite like them, nor does any other phone really. So, if you are determined to have that sound, it is best to put the money towards a pair.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #290 of 318
I'm not sure I understand the paper and sand bits, unless one is painting the ocean/sea... but certainly you are correct, the voicing is of the same clothe, though the PS-1000's fundamentally superior in every way. Even so, they don't sound like HP-1000's nor do the HP-1000's sound like the PS-1000's. For those that want the HP-1000 sound, they must go after them or an SR200 to get close, those that want something different have their options, which are also currently available and under warranty.

One of my greatest mistakes was selling my last HP-1 to afford my phonostage. I don't regret the phono stage, but I do regret selling the HP-1 to fund it. With the ludicrous increase in price I won't own an HP-1000 anytime soon if ever again, but at the end of the day I know that I prefer the PS-1000, the GS-1000, the PS-1 and the RS-1 to the HP-1000s, of any iteration, so I figure, sure, as much as I would love to have a pair in my collection to use as a reference point, that would be their relegated duty. For pure enjoyment, I would default to one of the other four, and so, I should just suck it up and not be overly distraught. But alas, I am a collector at heart...

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #291 of 318
Zanth, I have both the GS1000i and the PS1000, but I'm curious - you say the PS1000 are "fundamentally superior" to the GS1000i, but still (I assume) use the GS1000i's. What type of music do you use them for, and how often? I guess the same question for the other Grados you listed that you still have? I'm guessing, though, that the PS1000s get the most use, correct?

Did you ever get a chance to listen to the HD800s? If so, how much listening time did you have, and what were your impressions (sorry if you already provided them elsewhere)...

And of course, what's the status of the new newsletter you're producing? Will it be out soon?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #292 of 318
I have never heard the GS1000i so I can't comment there. The PS-1000s get the most listening time in my main rig but the headphones I use most often these days are the PS-1s while I am at work. Or the ES3xs while I'm on the go.

What do I listen to? I listen to rock in the morning, after lunch it is classical, predominantly concertos or chamber works and then evening on the say home I listen to jazz up to around 9 or 10 when I switch to ambient.

When I am listening to the PS-1000's I don't lock myself into my routine music preferences but I do tend to go with jazz or indie rock.

I did get to listen to the HD800s but not for a very long time. I'm going to get another chance this Sunday actually so I'll reserve impressions for after that session.

As for the HFQ issue 1, it is coming along. Hoping to get it out by the end of the month.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #295 of 318
Ah! Well, somewhat collectors mindset there, also good for me to have them on hand when evaluating other headphones. They are dryer through the midrange which is sometimes useful for me. They are also a very light headphone which is again nice, even though I don't find the PS-1000's obnoxiously heavy in any way, it is nice to have the GS-1000's on after using either the PS-1000 or the PS-1.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #296 of 318
I was at the NY Area meet this weekend, and I tried out both the HP1 and HP2 for the first time. I can't even recall the source of either, and of course, a meet is not the absolute best listening environment, but believe it or not, I thought both the HP1 and HP2 were fairly close in sound to my PS1000, with the edge (between the HP1 and HP2) going to the HP1 - I really liked the polarity switch on them. That said, to be honest, and this might sound weird, but I would say my PS1000 sounded more like the HPs than the GS1000i. Of course, Zanth has tons more experience than I with the HPs, so maybe it's just another case of different strokes (or ears) for different folks
smily_headphones1.gif

Interestingly, after letting my GS1000i's sit around for a couple of months while playing with my PS1000 and my HD800, I tried 'em out again yesterday, not on my main rig (the Cary Xciter amp/DAC combination), but on my Headroom ultra micro stack, expecting the dreaded "sucked out" mids, having somehow convinced myself, no doubt by reading too much, of this - and lo and behold, listening to the Allman Brothers, some Bob Marley, and some Mozart piano sonatas, I have to say, the GS1000i's were absolutely great - the soundstage is just amazing - perhaps a bit larger than the PS1000 (the PS1000, in turn, has a larger soundstage than the HP1 and HP2s I heard the other day). While I didn't do an A/B with the PS1000 on my Cary Xciter rig (which was voiced for the GS1000), I would say - and this could well have to do with the Headroom stack I was listening to with the GS1000i's - that the GS1000i was slightly less crisp than the PS1000 with respect to percussion (less snap and zing), and was perhaps, overall, a bit brighter than the PS1000 - but not annoyingly so at all. My little listening session the other day reminded me why I bought the GS1000i in the first place - I think they're excellent cans, even if the PS1000 (at almost double the price) are sharper, more resolving, and a bit less "congested" sounding (again - this does not mean the GS1000i sounds congested - just when doing a hyper-technical analysis and comparison to the PS1000 on a different rig).

In short, I think the GS1000i has been sadly underrated by many, even though the price, of course, ain't cheap, and the Grado quality control issues still lurk out there. Knock wood, mine look and are holding up nicely....

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #297 of 318
I've never heard the GS-1000i's, so there is no reason to think that the PS-1000's don't sound more like the HP-1000's rather than the GS-1000i's.

Regarding the comparison between the PS and GS-1000's, I find myself thinking the same as you do. The sound is excellent from them, if slightly less crisp, a bit brighter, and more congested etc., but overall a smashing experience and only "fails" if one can term it that because the PS-1000's exist. For many, the GS-1000's would have been spectacular, but with the bad rep around here (folks over seas and particularly at big shows and the mags love them) and the wood issues, they have taken a major hit, and I do admit that most of the time I am using the PS-1000's because well, they ARE better to my ears. Still, I do like to go back to the GS-1000's too and perhaps should bring them to work where I do a lot of listening. I have the PS-1's at work these days. Not as goofy looking is the main reason I wear them there in stead of the GS-1000's. I also have the HF-2's at work which look like the PS-1's enough that my colleagues don't think I'm some sort of audio freak.

I mean, they do think that, but I don't want to continually give them ammo
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #298 of 318
While we are on the subject of GS1000i, this is what " Hi- Fi Choice" Nov 09 issue says:

" Comparing this model with the HD800, we'd have to say we felt the latter to have the edge in both tonal neutrality and detail. On the other hand, the Grado is , perhaps, a little more lively dynamically and that alone will make it the obvious choice for many listeners. It has endless rhythmic vivacity and that, combined with the high resolution, makes it without a doubt one of the most convincing bits of audio kit we know...."

It was a glowing reivew and earned an Editor's choice tag with 5 stars on sound and value.

It looks like there will a review of PS1000 soon too:

"We've learned that Grado has a new ' professional' model, the PS1000, placed above the GS1000i. Although considerably dearer, it could be the new point of reference. Watch this space."

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #299 of 318
That is how I would have reviewed the GS-1000 vs. the HD800s. Haven't heard the the i version yet. Still, I seem to fall in line with many a British reviewer. There is a definite "house sound" from Britain, as there is from Germany, Italy, Japan and the US. Canada seems to fall in between the US and Britain for most items, with Britain being closer to the Italian house sound and the US closer to Germany.

These are grand generalizations but it does seem to have some truth to it from what I have read. Regardless, the UK reviewers often have a love affair with phones that breathe life into the music or at least retain that life. PRaT, a true sense of a lively performance...this is the essence of the Grado sound. ALIVE. It may come in second place in terms of absolute neutrality, or microresolution but for many, this isn't the reason behind the hobby. To each their own mind you but if these Hi-Fi Choice guys think the GS-1000i's are something to write home about, wait until they hear the PS-1000's
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #300 of 318
The same magazine discribed the original GS1000 as possibly ' the finest electricity-sound-transdcer in the world'. They absolutely loved them!
Zanth, you are spot on about the British "house sound'. The Japanese manufacturers would tweak their products just for the European market.
I pick up Hi-Fi choice from time to time at Fry's and it is one of the few mags that review headphones regularly. They had a shoot out between some of the popular headphones a few months ago. Senn HD650; Grado RS2; Denon AH-D5000; Ultrasone PL750 and a few others were included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back