Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Sep 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #241 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes , a good tube amp. can work miracle with psk, my friend has designed a new tube amp with mullard 10m (12ax7 type). the psk sound awesome with more attractive mid's. the result is quite marvelous
o2smile.gif

DSC02116.jpg

the above psk belongs to my friend from taiwan, some imperfections are still being found on its rim.

Can't see the tube amp.
wink_face.gif

My congratulations. But I'm out of the DIY-sector (was a user, not a builder). Too much of a hassle with all the eventualities and modifications and too much of impatience.
frown.gif

I'm really happy with both the GS 1000 and the PS 1000 on my little unimpressive Earmax Silver Edition. I couldn't think of a tube amp better suited for my gusto and these Grados. When listening to this set it is like watching slides via diascope versus picture prints to me. Great transparency and soundstage, and with that tube glaze but without the warm florid downside (IMO). The tubes are the originals, Philips and TAD. Here is the link to the Earmax SE in English: EARMAX-Silver Edition Kopfhörerverstärker Röhren, AMP Kits und Lautsprecher - Tube Amp Doctor
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #242 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This brings me to a thought about the HF-2 aluminum...no spots on mine and no scratches or imperfections whatsoever...but a nice touch on the ps1000s by grado to use the foam cover.

No imperfections like scuffs, black dots etc. on my PS 1000 as well. Was delivered also with foam covers btw.
Close shave!
redface.gif

Besides the wrinkled leather on the inside of the headband. Annoyingly I can feel the crinkles on my head. The leather of my GS 1000 is nearly wrinkle-free.
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #243 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't see the tube amp.
wink_face.gif

My congratulations. But I'm out of the DIY-sector (was a user, not a builder). Too much of a hassle with all the eventualities and modifications and too much of impatience.
frown.gif

I'm really happy with both the GS 1000 and the PS 1000 on my little unimpressive Earmax Silver Edition. I couldn't think of a tube amp better suited for my gusto and these Grados. When listening to this set it is like watching slides via diascope versus picture prints to me. Great transparency and soundstage, and with that tube glaze but without the warm florid downside (IMO). The tubes are the originals, Philips and TAD. Here is the link to the Earmax SE in English: EARMAX-Silver Edition Kopfhörerverstärker Röhren, AMP Kits und Lautsprecher - Tube Amp Doctor
beerchug.gif

The black box is the Diy tube amp.
IMG_6209.jpg

Herebelow is its internal photo.

DSC02122.jpg

Earmax Silver Edition is an expensive amp, but I only has the chance to audit its pro. version for somedays. The performance is so so………………… From the experience of EMP, I don’t think it’s weak output power that can compare with this diy tube amp with mullard 10M. The diy amp not only give a better transparency and soundstage, its 3 range (low, mid and high) are also more impressive. During the last meeting with some peers coming from Taiwan, they all are impressed by this setup

Later, I will upgrade the mullard 10M to Telefunken 803s and hope its performance is getting more amusing.

DSC02316.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #245 of 318
Hi cwilson,

I think you have a great amp (a hybrid?) there and the main thing is as always you're happy.
smile.gif

I think however you should have given a try to the SE version instead of the Pro:
power output: SE: 50 mW / Pro: 10 mW
output impedance: SE: 20 Ω / Pro: 35 Ω
Both the SE and the Pro are the same straight OTL design.
But the SE is especially modified for low impedance phones ≥16 Ω.
The tubes and the sound also differ.
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #246 of 318
What I like the best in Grado's I heard on SS amp. I just hear the good control and bass out of tube's range due to low output impedance. Excluding cables, I have about 0.01 Ohm available and I verified that things get worse when you go beyond a couple of ohms. My remarks don't include powerful amps kind of Car SLI-80, I had no impression of anything missing in the sound but it's a speaker amp primarily. And I prefered it's pentode push-pull mode to the SET mode.
Regarding the PS1000, if their sound were more "tube-like" in my fully SS rig, I wouldn't stand it.

But let's get back to the point. My GS1000i acquired second hand, stopped to respond on one transducer. It didn't arise my anger, it just made me lough when another person from the forum reported the same on the same day. I have just one message.
People, don't let making fools of yourselves by John Grado. If you overloaded the drivers i.e. by improper burn-in, you'd damage both drivers after a couple of hours as it normally happens! Talking "too loud" is simply childish. We want numbers - dB, mW, V or mA. This is the only quantitative measure that can be proven someone misused headphones and the only way to clearly define the limit that cannot be exceeded.

Another thing - the only Grado that fail are GS1000(i) and PS1000. For me it's an obvious evidence that PS1000 and GS1000(i) have overloaded transducers by design. They have new bigger chamber, and more room from the ear's side. Looks like John G. redirected durability tests onto customers. This is ridiculous, as the warranty repair duration is.
Just look at any lower than GS1000 model. You can use them almost like speakers in a small room for prolonged periods and they survive.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #247 of 318
Had problems with my GS1000 too, something which never happened with any other headphone I owned in the past. Bass now distorts quite a lot even at fairly low volume on some bass-heavy symphonic works (think at Mahler's 8th with its organ pedals or at Berlioz's Requiem). I already tried to remove dust as suggested here, but it didn't help.
Not that I care that much as I strongly prefer the HD800 and the GS1000 has never been exactly my cup of tea for big symphonic works, still, when you spend 1000+ $ on an headphone, you'd expect it to last a bit. But following these forums, it looks like such problems are happening more and more often, with the PS1000 too, and this is enough to make me avoid this brand. Add to this Grado's silly european price policy (stuff costs almost twice as much from local dealers here), and the decison is easy...

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #248 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had problems with my GS1000 too, something which never happened with any other headphone I owned in the past. Bass now distorts quite a lot even at fairly low volume on some bass-heavy symphonic works (think at Mahler's 8th with its organ pedals or at Berlioz's Requiem). I already tried to remove dust as suggested here, but it didn't help.

It wouldn't. The transducer starts to die. Take a meter and check it's impedance whether it is around 32 ohms. If it's much higher than that, no hair removal will help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #249 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@cwilson

How much is this Silver Spirit One, not 10M included, cos they may cost more than amp itself
biggrin.gif

THX

you are so brilliant....

cost of headamp w/o tubes is about hk$5000, but the 10M tube is amount to HK$1000 approx higher than the headamp......... !!!!!

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #250 of 318
Quote:

Hi cwilson,

I think you have a great amp (a hybrid?) there and the main thing is as always you're happy.
smile.gif

I think however you should have given a try to the SE version instead of the Pro:
power output: SE: 50 mW / Pro: 10 mW
output impedance: SE: 20 Ω / Pro: 35 Ω
Both the SE and the Pro are the same straight OTL design.
But the SE is especially modified for low impedance phones ≥16 Ω.
The tubes and the sound also differ.
beerchug.gif

Thank mopps for your information

Some guy have done his Diy headamp with similar specification figure to the SE version, but the outcome can only achieve an average with grado headphone and far behind that driven out by the EAR HP4.

IMAGE_017.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

I suggest to replace HP4's original fuse for a prominent sound improve

Untitled-3-2.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #252 of 318
Quote:

No imperfections like scuffs, black dots etc. on my
Besides the wrinkled leather on the inside of the headband. Annoyingly I can feel the crinkles on my head. The leather of my GS 1000 is nearly wrinkle-free.
frown.gif

Just replace the headband with those from JMoney. It very well padded and much more comfortable than stock.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #253 of 318
Hmm, amp HK5000 or did you mean HK500, which would be quite cheap. Where did you get 10M for HK1000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are so brilliant....

cost of headamp w/o tubes is about hk$5000, but the 10M tube is amount to HK$1000 approx higher than the headamp......... !!!!!

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #254 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, pics of those PS1000 posted here seem to look like matt finishing. Can any owner confirm this? Mine is actually shiny and glossy.

DSC01164.jpg

Hi ical,

I would describe mine as matt:

j2wbgpm6.jpg
3xzhqufa.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #255 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just replace the headband with those from JMoney. It very well padded and much more comfortable than stock.

Thanks, ical!
beerchug.gif

How must this be mounted on the Grados? Hopefully not with needle and thread..?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back