Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #61 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you all using the supplied bagel pads?

Yeah, they sound so good I never even gave a thought about changing pads. Now that you bring it up, I am curious to find out how the flats sound on this headphone.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #62 of 318
It is a good idea to bend the headband and adjust the clamping force - it changes the sound considerably on both GS1000's and PS1000's, due to salad bowls flexibility and changing the distance between the ear and the transducer.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #63 of 318
Well, by pushing them closer to your ears will change the sig, did it with GS1000 and the results were absolutely not bad, I would say in some situations very good. That's why I always was interested in buying second pair of pads to mod them, mean cutting the edge a bit, like 1cm or something and then using like the normal ones. All other things I tried didn't deliver a single thing except distortion. Also, by placing the headband bit up front of your head, or to the back, will change the sound, not that much to my liking that when I pushed the cups, but still...The last one I tried, which worked quite good, was by placing the extra driver cover inside, I used original from AKG K81dj, have posted this mod up here while ago, but I found them more acceptable with ROCK, which was a good thing at the time..
I am not believe that PS1000 will benefit of anything but their original pads, but to be sure must try first...

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #64 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think the PS1000 is truely an outstanding headphone. I owned the R10s for 6 years. Do they beat the R10s in performance? In some ways, yes. They don't have the midrange or extreemly extended, sparkling treble of the R10s. They are very good in those areas, but the R10s is one of the best at this and that is why the R10s are a very enjoyable listen. What the PS1000s has is better balance. The music has more weight to it, better and tighter bass, and a bigger soundstage. The PS 1000s are very enjoyable too, just in a different way. With that said, I did put a lot of effort in front of the PS 1000s to get the most out of them or get the best synergy. At the moment I am using the Redwine Audio Isabella/DAC, VD ICs, and the EAR HP 4, which is a great match for Grados, in front of the PS 1000s.

You used to own light version of R10.....

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #65 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not believe that PS1000 will benefit of anything but their original pads, but to be sure must try first...

You won't feel the greed to do that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #66 of 318
Yeah, will do that as soon as they will be available up here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't feel the greed to do that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #67 of 318
Just received my brand new set of Grado PS1000s. I'm no audiophile, so can't say much more than the sound is just "there" - solid and complete, almost palpable. They sound great right out of the box. Kinda just like phones should be. No comparison to the GS1000i's at all, which I've owned and liked. These are just far more "present."

Now I'm sure many of you all will hate my saying this, but believe it or not, to my old ears, they don't sound that much different than the HD800s, at least new. This is really a compliment since both are just there, and both are outstanding (with just enough variation in flavor so that neither are redundant). If I had more time and inclination, I guess I'd do a mix and match - I'll just say that both are outstanding.

If you've ever been to a baseball game and sat in the best seats in the house, well, sitting in the grandstands that you used to love - or anywhere else in the ballpark - just isn't the same...

I sincerely wish everyone who loves music, or sound in general, could afford 'em! You all deserve it!

Cheers -

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #68 of 318
Got my PS1000 a couple of days ago.#277.In direct comparison to the GS1000 the PS1000 is clearly superior.The intruments are accurate and percise more so then GS1000 which were foggy in comparison.I think Majkel impressions sums it up best for me.These are the best headphones I've heard.Mind you I've only listened to the Senn 650/600,Akg K701 and the Grado GS1000.Perhaps some of the previous people in this thread could shed some more light.So a bump.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #69 of 318
Thanks for your impression 563. My problem here is that I can (now) afford them but it's just impossible to find a pair in Canada. I even contacted Grado importer and they told me they just received one pair in their last shipment from Grado.
angry_face.gif
Needless to say that pair was pre-ordered/sold moons ago...

And I just can't order from US due to their importer protection policy. Maybe Grado deserve I spent my 2150$ + tx elsewhere.

Sorry for my OT post, I just need to vent a little.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #70 of 318
Not a problem Wolf18T - even in the States, they're still pretty hard to come by. Mine are only serial number 261, so they're only very slowly trickling out. I'm fairly lucky I found out about these just when the vendor received his first three pairs of PS1000s. Good timing - He considered himself lucky even to have gotten those!

For what it's worth, I'm using a Cary Xciter headphone (tube) amp and the matching Cary DAC, and listening to high rez music off the web (classical and jazz so far). I'm in a little rather little apartment in an old building with ancient wiring in NYC, so admittedly, it's definitely not the greatest of listening environments - which makes it even more amazing how sweet these headphones (in combination with my amp/DAC) sound.

I can only imagine what they'd sound like under ideal conditions. ...
Ah, but then I'd have to give up living in the big city - do I love my PS1000s that much?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #71 of 318
Oh, and unlike the GS1000i, where I constantly had the urge to press the ear cups closer to get a bit more presence, I really don't notice that great a difference when I do so with the PS1000 (nor do I have any urge or need to do so with them). I think Grado got it right this go-around with the salad bowls. And, as others have said, despite them being heavier than the GS1000i's, they don't feel heavy wearing them - they're quite comfortable, in fact, I have a reasonably small narrow head, and I like the added weight of these cans (I even like holding them!). Moreover, for some reason, the pads themselves seem less scratchy than the GS1000i's, which is probably just my imagination.

One last impression - I read some of the very early speculative posts that the PS1000s are just more or less a modified GS1000i. As they say in Brooklyn, fuhgeddaboutit - we're talking apples and oranges!

G'night all.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #73 of 318
I just got the chance to try these guys out at the only place in Australia to have them.
Audiophile in Fitzroy, Melbourne.
First thing that struck me was the great build quality and these things have some weight, compared to GS1K.
Nick put them into the Cary Xciter Headphone amp.
The sound... well i had to scrape my bottom jaw off the ground, I thought GS1K was good, which they are, but the PS1000 is a different animal, much more refined, more balanced sounding kinda put everything were it should be.
Man i am blown away by these guys, the music seems to have more weight behind it.
In every way it is the superior to anything else i have ever tried.
It could handle everything we through at it and came up trumps,from the swirling grinding guitars of Jimmy Page , the thunderous drumming of Mr Bonham from the new upsampled Disc box to the delicate sounds of classical pieces. I felt like i was flying!!!!
Im totally in its power....at 2500 AUD thats a lot of dough to lay on a pair of headphones. Oh well i can only dream.
deadhorse.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #74 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last impression - I read some of the very early speculative posts that the PS1000s are just more or less a modified GS1000i. As they say in Brooklyn, fuhgeddaboutit - we're talking apples and oranges!

G'night all.

So true! Very different phones. Thanks for the impressions.

The latest What Hi-fi is out with a comparative review between the GS-1000i's and the HD800's
The world’s No.1 home cinema, hi-fi and TV buying guide – from the experts at whathifi.com

The lowly GS-1000i's won out but they were described as having less bass! than the HD800s. IF this is the case and the only major fault they found with the GS-1000i's, I can only imagine what they would have written had they heard the PS-1000's.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #75 of 318
Wow, impressive!

I loved the gs1000s when i heard them. Just hoping that I get as good of a sound out of my HF2s and bagels which ill be receiving soon... hopefully its as good if not better than the gs1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back