Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #76 of 318
Maguire - the Cary amp/DAC combination really does the PS1000s justice as well. I'm kinda surprised there's so little written about them...

Hey, I was in Melbourne in December and got to bother those cute little penguins that live out there on the pier at St. Kilda!

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #77 of 318
I'm suprised by the few impression on the PS-1000s. The HD800 had it's FOTM, but the PS-1000 never really did.

JH13 vs PS-1000 anyone?

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #78 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The intruments are accurate and percise more so then GS1000 which were foggy in comparison.

I think you mean airy?

That's what I like about the GS-1000. My other phones are all about presence and accuracy, but I like the cartoonish, airy, colored sound of the GS-1000 as a compliment to those.

How's the bass? Is it more upfront or does it blend in?

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #79 of 318
I think the reason the PS-1000's haven't had a FOTM is because so few people own them. That could be the price, or the availability or a combo in between. How is the availability of the HD800s? Plenty of folks seem to have them now and I've even seen some up for sale. No PS-1000 has hit the FS Forums yet.

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #81 of 318
I'm thinking the lack of buzz about the Grados might be due, in part, to the fact that the PS1000s are inherently "workman-like" phones. That is, they're not beautiful, though they still look very nice, but they are functional to the max. The metal cups will definitely get nicked up, and you just accept that as part of the deal. But they will be the kind of phones you will be reaching for over the long run, I would think.

It could also be because they're a little pricier than the Sennheiser HD800s, and that they're being released much more slowly. That and the fact that Sennheiser can afford to run a much more extensive publicity campaign for what I have to insist are a great product. The Grado PS1000s just seem to be more like "home brew" cans - and I don't meant that in a negative sense. They're incredibly solid, but I'd hesitate to call them "sexy."

I know the HD800s as well, and they're, like I said, really great too - I love the velvety feel to the pads and the great soundstage, and the sound in general. To me, they're perfection, in a sense (I know, I've read the posts about 6 khz spikes, complaints that they lack sufficient lower end - though I don't have this impression myself). The one thing the HD800s lack that the Grados have is that hands' on, made in the garage feel that the Grados seem to have. It's almost like, "hey, Grado just patched together a better mouse trap."

That's all a long, and inarticulate way of saying that you can go to a very expensive elegant (but not stuffy) restaurant with all of the trappings, great food, candlelight, nice clother, etc. and that's what the HD800s feel like. You can even go to the same restaurant dress down for lunch and that's also the Senns. Gotta love that. BUT. you can also go to an equally pricey, but much more rustical (okay, "hole in the wall") restaurant that, despite its lack of elegant exterior, and its being located a little off the beaten path, where the food is equally great - but different - and still say it was worth the price. To me, that's what the PS1000s feel like. Both are really great phones, and both complement each other very nicely.

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #82 of 318
robm321, to my ears, the bass blends in beautifully with the PS1000s. You really get all the details, but nothing obtrusive. I was actually thinking that last night listening to louder jazz passages - you could almost put your fingers around the bass sound, while at the same time it didn't stick out. Great detail, I guess you'd say.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #83 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mean airy?

That's what I like about the GS-1000. My other phones are all about presence and accuracy, but I like the cartoonish, airy, colored sound of the GS-1000 as a compliment to those.

How's the bass? Is it more upfront or does it blend in?

I mean with the GS1000 the intruments were somewhat obscured.With the PS1000 the intruments are right on through out the spectrum.The bass blends in nicely too without paying to much attention to itself.To be honest the GS1000 ane'nt cutting it anymore so I'm now selling them.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #85 of 318
563...Glad to see you are using the Cary Xciter also.
There does not seem to be many people who are in the know about this amp, shame really because it synergises well with the GS1000 and ahh.... you know how well it presents the PS1000
wink_face.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #86 of 318
I'm really wanting to hear these things. There are 2 dealers near me that have Grado's on demo, but I don't think there are enough PS-1000s built for them to have demo's yet.

That's good news about the bass. And that it sounds similar to the HD800 (assuming neutral and detailed). I keep reading that the HD800 is not an emotional phone (more analytical), so maybe the PS-1000s give the best of both worlds?

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #87 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason the PS-1000's haven't had a FOTM is because so few people own them. That could be the price, or the availability or a combo in between. How is the availability of the HD800s? Plenty of folks seem to have them now and I've even seen some up for sale. No PS-1000 has hit the FS Forums yet.

I agree with you Zanth, but I also think, to a lesser degree, the few negative reports at the CJ2009 ("bass bloated" thing) and the HF-2 release didn't help the PS1K popularity.

Anyway, since their annoucement I save my money and resisted to get either the HD-800 (heard them, quite excellent, but not the sound I'm after) or the HF-2. The more I read the few reviews the more I think I made the right decision. In the meantime I contacted a local Quebec City high end hi-fi store who ordered a pair. The shop owner will contact me when he'll received them so I'll have the chance to listen before deciding... but I'm sure he knows that I will bite...
regular_smile .gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #88 of 318
I should have mine within a week. Very very excited about it. I sold off my RS1s, GS1000s, and SR200s (HP1000 drivers) in anticipation. Yikes!

I am hoping they give me what I like about the HD800s (detail, clarity and soundstage) but add some color and more bass plus handle PRaT a bit more deftly.

I'll be tickled pink if I can enjoy them as much as the D7000s and the thought that they could surpass my Denons is drool-inducing.

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #89 of 318
I agreed with 563's statement. PS1000 does compliment HD800 very well. Both are excellent cans.

Recently, I did a comparison with my friend HF2. PS1000 sound way better in every aspect for me which makes me want to cancel my order for HF2.

Pics to remind those who have pre order. It worth the wait!
DSC00892.jpg

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #90 of 318
i made a post about something yesterday and no one was intrested i guess.

for less than the price of the ps1000 i think one might consider getting the gs1000 and a dt880. in those two headphones you really have all bases covered. the ps1000 and gs1000 excel in different ways but i don't really think they compliment each other in a collection. the gs1000 and dt880 are very complimentry. with the gs1000 you have a ethereal,magical feeling. with the dt880 you have well balanced,very accurate phones with a large and realistic soundstage. much like the ps1000. you would be gettting two great phones for less than the price of one. i know one is $1,000 and the other is $319 but that is just how the chips fall. personally i'd probably just go for the hd800 if i only wanted to buy one new headphone at the moment. otherwise if i was spending nearly two grand on a grado i'd get the hp2. i think the hp2 is better than the ps1000 and gs1000 and built a lot better to boot. joe was so ahead of his time.

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back