grado poll
Aug 29, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #46 of 102
While the hp-1000 is definitely a very special phone, and I had a pair for over two months, on every occasion, i still found myself reaching for the gs-1000. One of the biggest things was soundstage, kind of like the ps-1 vs gs-1000 issue, and the hp-1000 sounded awful with the jumbowls. I don't really feel lik ethe rs-1 can compare to the other two. while it really has that beautiful midrange magic, the hp-1000 had more of it, as well as more/better bass, and less painful/piercing highs. Personally, i prefer the hf-1 to the rs-1.

at the end of the day,

gs1000 > hp-1 > rs-2 > hf-1 > rs-1 for me.

Looking forward to my mpx3 slam SE arriving, as well as getting my gs-1000's recabled.

I still havn't heard the ps-1, so I can't comment on it, but based on my experience with the hp-1000, i don't think that it'll change too much.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #47 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
While the hp-1000 is definitely a very special phone, and I had a pair for over two months, on every occasion, i still found myself reaching for the gs-1000. One of the biggest things was soundstage, kind of like the ps-1 vs gs-1000 issue, and the hp-1000 sounded awful with the jumbowls. I don't really feel lik ethe rs-1 can compare to the other two. while it really has that beautiful midrange magic, the hp-1000 had more of it, as well as more/better bass, and less painful/piercing highs. Personally, i prefer the hf-1 to the rs-1.

at the end of the day,

gs1000 > hp-1 > rs-2 > hf-1 > rs-1 for me.

Looking forward to my mpx3 slam SE arriving, as well as getting my gs-1000's recabled.

I still havn't heard the ps-1, so I can't comment on it, but based on my experience with the hp-1000, i don't think that it'll change too much.

Since you've heard so many Grados, can you tell me how is the bass on the HF-1 compared to the RS-2? Thank you

I hope I'm not derailing this thread by asking that.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #48 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Since you've heard so many Grados, can you tell me how is the bass on the HF-1 compared to the RS-2? Thank you

I hope I'm not derailing this thread by asking that.

The rs-2 has a little less bass, considerably tighter/cleaner. A little more treble extension, everything is more refined, its definitely the better headphone.

If the hf-1 wasn't my first grado, and wasn't LE, i'd trade it for an rs-2 in a heartbeat.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #49 of 102
They are all bettered by the discontinued and under $1K K-1000s so
tongue.gif
and by a significant margin to my ears.

IMHO

The PS-1's didn't blow me away. I thought they were overpriced at $1,400. They resolved better than the RS-1 and GS-1000, but have a small soundstage which made the symphony sound like it was one big blob with no seperate sections. On jazz it sounded like the drummer was laying on top of the sax player. Rock worked the best because it's mixed and doesn't matter. And it shares the Senn 650s bass which seems to flood everywhere. Contrary to what I've heard however, the bass is tight and not hard to control.

From what I'm reading the HP-1/2 has that same soundstage and has some sibilance and thinness. I guess I'll have to wait to hear it, but I just wanted to keep some things in check. Let's not make these into the perfect phones because they are limited and have got to be the most expensive headphones with a small soundstage at $1,400+.

Are the PS-1 drivers still available? I know the HP-1's are. Couldn't you get a machine shop to make a couple aluminum earcups, use any cheap Grado headband (add some softening stuff to it), and put them together for much less than that?

(flamesuit bigtime!)

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #50 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
tongue.gif

IMHO

The PS-1's didn't blow me away. I thought they were overpriced at $1,400. They resolved better than the RS-1 and GS-1000, but have a small soundstage which made the symphony sound like it was one big blob with no seperate sections. On jazz it sounded like the drummer was laying on top of the sax player. Rock worked the best because it's mixed and doesn't matter. And it shares the Senn 650s bass which seems to flood everywhere. Contrary to what I've heard however, the bass is tight and not hard to control.

From what I'm reading the HP-1/2 has that same soundstage and has some sibilance and thiness. I guess I'll have to wait to hear it, but I just wanted to keep some things in check. Let's not make these into the perfect phones because they are limited and have got to be the most expensive headphones with a small soundstage at $1,400+.

Are the PS-1 drivers still available? I know the HP-1's are. Couldn't you get a machine shop to make a couple aluminum earcups, use any cheap Grado headband (add some softening stuff to it), and put them together for much less than that?

(flamesuit bigtime!)

I think I'll be happy with the K1000 setup I build, I just really want the "anti-K1000" with lots of bass, and it's a little nuts that I'm willing to spend more than the K1000 to get it
redface.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #51 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
tongue.gif

IMHO

I really really don't get where all of this k1000 love is coming from...it was definitely one of the biggest dissapointments for me, having them hyped up as much as they were. As I mentioned earlier, the sounstaging is incredible, but after that it doesn't have much. ::shrug:: Will wait to hear them on a better system. Hopefully that'll change my mind, but at that point I might be ready to jump on some l3000's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #52 of 102
damnit, this is difficult. i should add that i'm looking at the black dragon cable upgrades, so maybe that makes a little difference... i can't hear the gs-1000's, no store will stock them. if i'm going to order them, i figure i might as well get the black dragons, 'cause as i read, they're not going to make them worse and probably will make them better. i'm getting an ra-1 amp. i have heard the rs-1's and own the 125's and have for many years. i loved the rs-1's, but thought that the soundstage was a touch small. i DON'T want to sacrifice the sound for the soundstage, but will do the opposite. if the gs-1000's have an amazing soundstage, but sound flat like the akg's and beyers sound to me, i won't be happy. any opinions? by they way, i demo'd most of the cans oft mentioned on here, and to me, there was no comparison at all, especially through the ra-1. thanks for the advice (pre-advice).

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #53 of 102
Lol, David, I don't think you'll like the K1000s as much as the GS1000 even if they were paired with a synergistic amp like the Pass Lab amps, you damn Grado fanboy
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #55 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Lol, David, I don't think you'll like the K1000s as much as the GS1000 even if they were paired with a synergistic amp like the Pass Lab amps, you damn Grado fanboy
wink.gif

What can I say...

grado fanboyism at its max!
gs1000.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #56 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I have not heard the GS1000. I have owned the RS-1 and spent a couple months with the PS1, PS1 over the RS-1.
If you have to own a Grado why not hunt down a HP1 or HP2? I owned these also and if you can take the pain to wear them they are by far the best Grados I have owned or heard.

i find my hp2's to be the most comfortable grado i have ever owned. the ability to lock the cups at an angle, rather than letting them sit on your ears is AWSOME.

i have not owned a gs-1000. unless i get one like i got my hp2's i wont.

list of grados owned:
sr40
sr60
sr125
ms-1 (gift to ex gf, but i got to use em...)
ms-2
rs-2
ms-pro
hp2

hp2/hp1000 is the only one i find consistently comfortable. all the others crush my ears after a bit of listening.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #57 of 102
This poll and those like it lead me to think upon something that I find curious time and time again...

Do audiophiles REALLY want linear? Do they REALLY want what is o the recording and nothing else?

I would say that overall, the answer is a big fat no! Perhaps many audiophiles are deluding themselves in thinking they really do and they work towards it when in reality they colour their system like those that openly admit to it. Perhaps others still, attempt to get as close to a live acoustic sound as possible, and then go from there.

One thing is for sure, if everyone really wanted flat flat, HP-1000's, K1000's, apparently K701's and a whole whack of Headamp Gilmore V2's would be owned.

To me, the GS1000's have a very truthful sound to them, particularly in the midrange. The PS-1's, of the top phones, are the least honest through the midrange, and the RS-1's for certain instruments get it more right, more often than either of the previous two mentioned. The HP-1000's though...overall, would be the flatest of the bunch easily, yet lacking a bit of life in the mids that would be a truer representation of a live performance yet is truer in relaying what the disc offers. However, myself like others I have read about, have sold off their HP-1000's in favour of keeping PS-1's. Not because the PS-1's are rarer, but because the PS-1's overall, sound better. Coloured or not, they just groove more, they bring life to the music. RS-1's it seems are winning many over even after these same folks have heard the GS-1k's, not because they are better per se in this or that, but because they actually LACK in areas, like soundstage, providing a very unique presentation as if one is a performer (which I happen to love).

Small thread derail but something I think is pertinent to discuss not just here but elsewhere. Yet, becaus I own the phones listed, I figure I would post this now and we could further discuss why we happen to like something more than something else. Odds are, it's about what sounds good right!? Not what sounds right? Right?
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #58 of 102
I agree with Zanth that most people strive for euphony and headphones that give them that pleasure. It merely happens that the headphones that I've heard which I've enjoyed the most happen to be considered "neutral" or "flat" or even at times "dry and boring", i.e., K701s, K1000s, HP1000s.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #59 of 102
Grados have never been my primary headphone. "That" primary headphone is usually something I'd like something to be as neutral as possible for music that I enjoy most uncolored (classical, jazz, acoustic).

I've always loved Grados for rock music and a number of people feel the same. John Grado even mentions some of the music he enjoys most
rs1smile.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #60 of 102
I completely agree with this although I don't consider myself an audiophile. I'm just looking for the most enjoyable headphone for my music collection. I don't care how it measures or whether it's neutral. I'm not even sure I'd know what neutral is. If it's the ue10, than I'm not a big fan of neutral.

So far the PS-1 is my choice but of it's energy, sweet midrange, small soundstage and refinement. I'm sure there are some songs that would sound better on the RS-1 and some on the GS1000, but overall the PS-1 brings a certain magically sound to my whole collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
This poll and those like it lead me to think upon something that I find curious time and time again...

Do audiophiles REALLY want linear? Do they REALLY want what is o the recording and nothing else?

I would say that overall, the answer is a big fat no! Perhaps many audiophiles are deluding themselves in thinking they really do and they work towards it when in reality they colour their system like those that openly admit to it. Perhaps others still, attempt to get as close to a live acoustic sound as possible, and then go from there.

One thing is for sure, if everyone really wanted flat flat, HP-1000's, K1000's, apparently K701's and a whole whack of Headamp Gilmore V2's would be owned.

To me, the GS1000's have a very truthful sound to them, particularly in the midrange. The PS-1's, of the top phones, are the least honest through the midrange, and the RS-1's for certain instruments get it more right, more often than either of the previous two mentioned. The HP-1000's though...overall, would be the flatest of the bunch easily, yet lacking a bit of life in the mids that would be a truer representation of a live performance yet is truer in relaying what the disc offers. However, myself like others I have read about, have sold off their HP-1000's in favour of keeping PS-1's. Not because the PS-1's are rarer, but because the PS-1's overall, sound better. Coloured or not, they just groove more, they bring life to the music. RS-1's it seems are winning many over even after these same folks have heard the GS-1k's, not because they are better per se in this or that, but because they actually LACK in areas, like soundstage, providing a very unique presentation as if one is a performer (which I happen to love).

Small thread derail but something I think is pertinent to discuss not just here but elsewhere. Yet, becaus I own the phones listed, I figure I would post this now and we could further discuss why we happen to like something more than something else. Odds are, it's about what sounds good right!? Not what sounds right? Right?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back