grado poll
Aug 30, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #91 of 102
zanth>I just loved the Ps-1 out of the ipod. Hence I never got into the IEM thing. I never used an amp for it. Just used it straight out of the ipod. Although things did get trickier when I had them balanced.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #92 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
zanth>I just loved the Ps-1 out of the ipod. Hence I never got into the IEM thing. I never used an amp for it. Just used it straight out of the ipod. Although things did get trickier when I had them balanced.

Yep, I like them out of the iPod too, though they do lack somewhat, iPod's current output is abysmal. Yet, the R10's faired VERY well outta my iPod which I found very funny. Kinda poo poos my above argument
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #93 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I'm not advocating buying $$$$$$ sources and amps just to use a headphone, but sometimes a piece of gear is so refined, so transparent that they really require some goodies upstream so that they don't spew out craptacular sound. Not trying to sound elitist, but perhaps this is why many have prefered the RS-1's or PS-1's to the GS-1k's, BD cable or not.

Very much agree!

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #94 of 102
a couple questions from the last page of posts:

audiofiler : were you saying a page ago that you now prefer the hp-1000's to the gs1000's? (excuse me, bdgs 1000's) i read something along the lines of the hp's being top dog, so i wasn't sure what that meant. if your pleasure with the bdgs's is slowly falling, please do tell.

zanth : are you saying that the bdgs or gs 1000's won't sound good with an ra-1? i know you're saying that the better the gear, the better the sound, but i think the rs-1's ROCK through the ra-1 and if the bdgs's sound thin throught that thing, then no thanks...

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #96 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouchia
a couple questions from the last page of posts:

audiofiler : were you saying a page ago that you now prefer the hp-1000's to the gs1000's? (excuse me, bdgs 1000's) i read something along the lines of the hp's being top dog, so i wasn't sure what that meant. if your pleasure with the bdgs's is slowly falling, please do tell.

I have always been pretty tight lipped at which is better --the HP or GS phone...same with the RS/PS VS HP phones really, that is too tough of a call, and boils down to preferences in sound sig IMO...With the JoeG design, craftmanship, attention to detail, and focused sound is hard to describe or put to words, as is its layering and attention to the low bands.. It is as neutral of a phone as I have ever heard in the dynamic range, or close.

Earlier in my post I may have used an abreviation to denote the word Headphones..instead typing HP's.. My bad, sorry to confuse. The BDGS1 is the top gun in my home right now.

If you are wondering, the HP's are extremely awesome in my book, and never would have sold or parted with the pair I had stolen from me, and have not found a viable replacement since..
I would prefer to have an HP-1/2 and a Dragon GS1..personally. One for Circumaural reference, one for supraural reference...

I am still trying to get another pair, so I can A/B them in my vinyl rigs, but have a feeling and hunch about the the HP's performance out of a digital medium (i.e. Redbook transport)

Hope this helps,

If anyone is wondering, I would buy the HP-1/2 again in a flash over the RS-1/PS-1 again, as those phones provide me with more of what my ears like to hear..and obviously this will be different as the next persons' answer or impresions
cool.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #97 of 102
also, if you want to expose preferences, you could just have people list their fav's. like:

fav headphone ever heard :
fav track to demo cans with :
fav amp ever heard :
i smoked pot in high school :

all relevant, imo.

p.s. (obviously, pot smokers are gonna like grados) lol

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #98 of 102
Quote:

also, if you want to expose preferences, you could just have people list their fav's

OK, here you go..off the top of my head

fav headphone ever heard : Tied.. HP-1/2 with Dragon GS1 with L3K
fav track to demo cans with : Tied.. The Night Before & Another Girl, Beatles Help MFSL LP tied with Room 23, Tales of the Inexpressible, Shpongle 20 Bit CD
fav amp ever heard : Blue Hawaii best amp I ever heard for an OII
cans I listened to in high school : MDR-V12, SR-60

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #99 of 102
Quote:

zanth : are you saying that the bdgs or gs 1000's won't sound good with an ra-1? i know you're saying that the better the gear, the better the sound, but i think the rs-1's ROCK through the ra-1 and if the bdgs's sound thin throught that thing, then no thanks...

Nope, I think the RA-1 has awesome synergy with the GS-1k's and actually I like the RA-1 better with them than the RS-1. What I am saying is that for those that are having troubles (sibilance, problems in the highs, artifacts etc) I am chalking it up partially to upstream gear not necessarily on the same level as GS-1k's. Again, I think the iPod works well with them as does the RA-1, this combo is great and I use it from time to time, but comparing RS1, PS1 and GS1k in this combo vs these same phones in my main rig...the GS1k's point on the flaws much more easily.

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #100 of 102
I just found something unusual. I remember when the picture below was first posted about a half year before any announcement of the GS1000 was ever made, someone thought they were just an unreleased Grado surround sound headphone. Well, just found some pictures of the Grado Dolby Headphone. It looks like the exact same pad.

john_withKids2005.jpg

Here's some links to the photos of the unreleased the Grado Dolby Headphones from July 2003.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kingru...6b.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kingru...2d.jpg&.src=ph

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #101 of 102
bump for a cool thread, lets see some more votes!

For the record, this is much closer than I expected at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back