grado poll
Aug 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #31 of 102
I've not heard the GS-1000's, they were unfortunately absent from our recent So Cal meet. I have heard most of the other Grados, including the HP-1000 series. I by far prefer the PS1's, over the others, although I can understand the attraction of the Joe Grado HP series.

- augustwest

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #32 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I'll let you know how they compare from memory of the PS-1, but from what I've read the PS-1 might suit you better. Of course it'll be in a different system. If you are serious in the future about the HP-2, I can let you try them and I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone to trade HP-2 for the PS-1 since I think the PS-1's are more limited.?.

Yeah, if your review is overly positive of the HP-2 with rock music, I might have to give them a listen. Maybe there's a Bay Area meet still in the works. No one really had a place to host but who knows. We'd have all the top Grados there. Then we can rerun the poll and include the HP-2 in the list.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #33 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
They're more limited (I think 180?) but they haven't sky rocketed in value yet, from the sales I've seen most sold for less than the $1400 retail, but not by much.

I think that was mostly before they completely ran out of stock from Todd and the German stores. I did see one for $1000 resently. With some time, they are sure to go up.

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #35 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I think that was mostly before they completely ran out of stock from Todd and the German stores.

actually John had appropriated the necessary build materials for a limited run, and when the demand for the PS-1's simply did not continue, they decided not to manufactur any more of the Professional Series models..

Todd was instrumental in getting the US Market 2/month for a long while, which is totally cool of him.

If this phone sold more units when it was being produced, Grado and the German OEM Mfr would have continued producing PS-1's, perhaps??...if yes, then we would all be able to purchase some new now..if one still wanted them.

The funny thing is (since owning/selling already) that if they WERE still available new for sale, would people still be griping at the high price tag as they were when the PS-1's were initially introduced to the market?
My guess would be yes.

Moreover, the sale price I have seen offered and sometimes accepted for the PS-1's (3 in the last 6 months) all were at least $500 below -or more- what they sold for initially.. In other words price was one of the biggest caveats I heard referenced to owning or purchasing the pro series...

Agreed, the PS-1's are some are the best Grado made, and their value in the future will go up in the next several years..

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I think that was mostly before they completely ran out of stock from Todd and the German stores. I did see one for $1000 resently. With some time, they are sure to go up.

No I only started really looking for them after they went out of production
frown.gif

And I've PM'ed a few sellers asking what they sold theirs for (again after they went OOP)

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 102
“from the sales I've seen most sold for less than the $1400 retail”

Before they became unavailable they did sell used for about $1000. Not today though. More like $1800 plus fees if you can convince an owner to part with them.

So I’d guess if you can afford a pair of used PS-1’s today you could also get a pair of HP1000’s for about the same price.

The PS-1’s were made exclusively for the German Recording Industry. Consumer demand or lack of it had nothing to do with the headphones being discontinued since they were never intended to be sold to consumers.

Todd imported 2 pair a month for about 18 months. Several more were acquired from the German distributors. So the true number that got into our \ consumer hands is not known. I’d guess we got 1/3 (60) to ½ (90) of the production run but that’s only a vague guess. If Todd got 40 pair into consumer hands I’d doubt the German distributor sold another 40 to consumers- just speculation. So the actual number of PS-1’s that are available to us the consumer is far less than the full production run.

I could easily live with the RS-1’s if I didn’t get the HP2’s and I could easily live with the HP2’s if I didn’t get the PS-1’s. But for me the GS1000 was never a desirable headphone just based on the reports of sound stage. It seemed to be the anti-thesis to the Grado sound I love.

Mitch

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 102
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the production numbers on the legacy Grados (i.e. how many made)? Also, I am a bit confused by all of them that are out there... is it the PS-1, HP-1, HP-2, and HP-1000?
Sorry that this question is a little off topic and Im sure I can find it if I search threads, but I felt like posting.
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Jussei

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
The HP1 is the same as the HP1000.

The HP2 has the same drivers as the HP1s, but they don't have the polarity switch that the HP1s do.

Ok, I was under the impression that the HP-1 and HP-2 were kinda like the RS-1 and RS-2 line is now and the the HP-1000 was completely seperate and was the one with the switches. Why the seperate terminology for the HP-1?

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #41 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
Ok, I was under the impression that the HP-1 and HP-2 were kinda like the RS-1 and RS-2 line is now and the the HP-1000 was completely seperate and was the one with the switches. Why the seperate terminology for the HP-1?

I have no idea where the terminology of the HP-series come from, but I'd be interested in finding out.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #42 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I've not heard the GS-1000's, they were unfortunately absent from our recent So Cal meet. I have heard most of the other Grados, including the HP-1000 series. I by far prefer the PS1's, over the others, although I can understand the attraction of the Joe Grado HP series.

- augustwest

haha different strokes I guess. I preferred the PS-1 but only slightly over the RS-1 and tied with the GS-1000. So, the HP-1,2 must suck. lol

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #43 of 102
FYI, eBay de is a great place to find some that are less expensive..
The deals are there, and those that will part with them, you just have to find them.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #44 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I could easily live with the RS-1’s if I didn’t get the HP2’s and I could easily live with the HP2’s if I didn’t get the PS-1’s. But for me the GS1000 was never a desirable headphone just based on the reports of sound stage. It seemed to be the anti-thesis to the Grado sound I love.
Mitch

What's weird about the GS1000 soundstage is that when I first got them, I thought it would be huge. I was kind of surprised that it didn't sound that different from the RS-1 at first. Then I found the right position and everything opened up. This can be amazing on a lot of music but for me, over time, I found it more distracting than enjoyable. The guitars were now too far away, the music was too layed back, the real energy was missing. Even though they had more bass, the sound most somehow dryer than the the RS-1. When I got the PS-1, I realized it was the sound I was really looking for.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #45 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
I have no idea where the terminology of the HP-series come from, but I'd be interested in finding out.

Check out Zanth's Interview with John Grado. The HP-1000 is talked about in this paragraph: Quote:

In the beginning of John’s “reign” as chief Grado

INTERVIEW

Read this paragraph to find all about the PS-1: Quote:

Here’s the story. In Europe it seems there is one market,

Looks like most of our answers are in this interview. Thanks again Zanth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back