Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #197 of 722

Well I've added new grills and brought up the drivers and wow.very nice acoustics :grin:

Yeap, they are "happier" when flush mounted.
L3000.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #199 of 722
If one bought a pair of drivers, how would they know if they are a matched set?

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #200 of 722
Have you tried them with tods vinyl pads. Bringing the drivers forward and using l cushion pads and opening up the grills have really made these wonderful headphones but as per usual one is always looking to perfect what we have lol

I like using my TTVJ flats with my build. Pushes them the teensiest bit south of neutral. 

If one bought a pair of drivers, how would they know if they are a matched set?

I believe Elleven Acoustica has them matched. They don't randomly pull from a large box...

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #202 of 722
...so I know I have a build, @thelostMIDrange
 , @i-am-iron-man
 and 
@Konstantin690
 have builds....anyone else out there finished a set yet? 
Yeh don't forget me.ive a build completed.im just teetering around with pads now.
Ok.so now I have a dilemma.ive two sets of lovely cups made.do I buy some more Yplison drivers and do an A&B test or do I buy some V6 or do I use the drivers I have in my collection.V2,V3,V4 and V5. Oops I do believe I've been stock piling for a few years he he

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #204 of 722
Did you guys come up with a good way to attach the cheese cloth onto the drivers after all?
Hmmmm I've thinking of pva glue.it can be removed then if you wish
thanks.
I actually emailed Grado and asked them. They advised me to just leave it alone and not try to re-attach it.
In my case, I have a pair of sr200 and one of the cheese cloths detached from the driver so I was trying to stick it back on.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #206 of 722
I've just ordered some gimbles and rod blocks.does the rod screw I to the gimble like Martin custom audios

That's a negative. The gimble can be used with the off-the-peg Grado blocks.
Knowing what I do about you, I don't think you'll be in love with what you've bought. The gimbals are quite wide and don't work well with all shapes of cup as they limit the side-to-side movement. One of mine snapped at the thread, there was only a couple of mm of thread on the rod. Still, I don't mind the gimbals but the blocks are very rudimentary. They are hand made and there's quite a bit of variation with each one. Just don't expect them to look like a set of Martin's ones and you'll be ok ...!

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #207 of 722
That's a negative. The gimble can be used with the off-the-peg Grado blocks.
Knowing what I do about you, I don't think you'll be in love with what you've bought. The gimbals are quite wide and don't work well with all shapes of cup as they limit the side-to-side movement. One of mine snapped at the thread, there was only a couple of mm of thread on the rod. Still, I don't mind the gimbals but the blocks are very rudimentary. They are hand made and there's quite a bit of variation with each one. Just don't expect them to look like a set of Martin's ones and you'll be ok ...!
Ok cheers mate. Well I've payed by PayPal so no worries there lol.
Ah so how's it going. Not heard from you for ages. Not another life style change I hope !!!

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #208 of 722

Ok so now my Sunday build is done after having my yummy roast.
I've only listened to the V4 ally cups with mahogoney sleeves for about 10 minutes but yet again I can't get enough of the sound that they produce.
They are some what darker than the Ypsilon drivers but they have that warm glowing articulate deep bass,highs are controlled and not to high but they still have the grado tone I'm glad to say but only clearer
I have used a type two litz copper,silver and gold braided wire in paracord.its gonna be interesting to see how these headphones burn in as well as the cable as the drivers as of NOS.i do believe the cable will make some difference to the sound after listening to another set I built with copper and silver wire.well I've two sets of headphones burning in at the same time,so time will tell which one will be the favourite.im not going to say winner as I'm sure both headphones will be used with various applications for music and also have found them to be very good as gaming headphones.
Let's all have a happy week
And good luck if any one a building headphones this week :hugging::hugging:

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #209 of 722
Oops I've just ordered some more Yplison drivers to see what they sound like in my ebony wood cups.
The more I listen to the all alloy cups the better they are sounding.im listening to Pink Floyd and i can't believe how well they behave.i was at there last tour some years ago.if I close my eyes I'm there in Paris in a big field enjoying myself.the placing of each instrument is just spot on not over shadowing each other's sound and tone.the sound of these headphones is neither to forward or backward.im can't seem to get them of my head.shine on you crazy diamond lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back