Grado is for rock as what is to electronic music?
Mar 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 64
ultrasone.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 64

[size=medium]
Cheers for that.  Have to look into them.  Not sure why but don't seem to have read many ultrasone reviews.
[/size]

Quote:
I don't get the whole genre specific headphone thing

The genre thing is that it is easier to recommend a brand than a specific model to friends.  People won't remember model number but a brand is easier to remember.  My brother is thinking of getting the HD 650 and maybe get him to get ultrasone instead.  Don't think the 650 are best for his music.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 64

Quote:
The genre thing is that it is easier to recommend a brand than a specific model to friends.  People won't remember model number but a brand is easier to remember.

I think what rythmdevils means is that you either enjoy how a headphone sounds or you don't. If you fully enjoy your headphone, then you can listen to any genre with it.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 64

Quote:

All headphones/speakers have some sort of coloration and people who listen to genres tend to prefer that type of coloration (or lack thereof).  Imagine listening to hip-hop or electronica with weak bass, its not the same just like listening to jazz or classical music with a significant drop off in the highs. 

I don't understand the whole brand for genre thing myself.  It seems that almost every brand out there (except perhaps grado) has models that cover most coloration preferences (bass heavy, neutral, bright, etc).

Quote:
Damn.  Just did a search on ultrasone on here and almost every single thread has zero replies on them.  :/

There's a few good appreciation/review threads especially for HFi-580's.  Personally I love these cans for electronica, solid, deep, clean bass and detailed highs and the slightly recessed mid-bass prevents that megaphone sound that neutral drivers can give electronica

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 64

Quote:

Well Grado gets the nod for rock because on the forward midrange and added treble energy.  It makes electric guitars sound more "there".  And I somewhat agree with that.  I like to rock out with my MS1s sometimes.

And then there are phones that have very fast drivers, which are great for milking every last bit or texture and detail. Lovers of classical music, or any acoustic music like Blugrass, can appreciate that quality but that same speed has it's drawbacks.  Many find the lean bass, caused by the rapid decay, to be unpleasant.  The Sony SA5000 and AKG K701 are classic examples of fast phones that had their heyday when new, but were later bashed for their weaknesses because they couldn't "do it all".

Closed cans can usually make the bass notes take the forefront of the signature. And there is a lot of modern music where bass is supposed to be the main focus and even carries the melody of the song.  So closed cans are well suited to that.

But the phones that are the most highly prized for lovers of "music in general" are those that balance it all out. I fit into that category which is why my hp of choice is a Sennheiser HD580.  I don't want to have 4 different cans for different genres so I use one that does everything I want it to pretty well.  The day that I get a Sennhieser HD580\HD600 midrange, a Denon D7000 bass all with the speed and soundstage of a K701 in one headphone, I'll be happier'n a tornado in a trailer park.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 64
Lots of people said they love their Grado headphones for rock but don't like it for other music and like the K701 for classical music but not for say electronic music.

Some headphones just go better with specific genre of music or otherwise people won't be asked to say what music they listen to when recommending a headphone.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 64
I had a chance to listen to some recabled Ultrasones at 32 Ohm last week and I can see why they're great for electronic music.  The bass end had excellent extension and was crystal clear. I think that sometimes very bassy phones don't have such an excellent level of detail. It was impressive.

(Listened to K&D)

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 64

Quote:
There's a few good appreciation/review threads especially for HFi-580's.  Personally I love these cans for electronica, solid, deep, clean bass and detailed highs and the slightly recessed mid-bass prevents that megaphone sound that neutral drivers can give electronica

Cheers.  Just found some threads on 580 but pretty much nada for any other models.  What is the difference between the PRO series and the HFI?  Maybe have to create a new thread just for Ultrasone headphones reviews.  :p

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 64
There are loads of Ultrasone threads with replies... Head-fi search isn't great so I suggest using google... simply type for example: site:head-fi.org ultrasone pro 900

You can even type: site:head-fi.org ultrasone pro 900 hfi 780 for a comparison between different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back