Grado HP-2: Review
Sep 7, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Shhh, don't you know he's trying not to tangle with the moronic fanboys again??
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

Odd side note...

Was anyone aware of how flammable the SR-X was? Must have been why they stopped making it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I don't need you to sugarcoat anything for me, I know how to read so you posting the exact same thing is utterly useless, worthless, and unnecessary. Anyone could have understood what the general gist of robm321's post meant so I don't need you to translate it for me.

You've just been sour at me because I posted one comment nearly three months ago about you bumping up a four month old thread just to gloat about you being right about prices for the HF-1s. Which I might add, wasn't even correct since somehow you converted a time span of four months in to three years.

I've been trying not to argue with you about it since you only do it maybe two or three times a month but I'm honestly getting sick and tired of the sly banter and the spelling corrections that you post against me. If you have a beef with me take it up with me directly. I was banned for a couple of days for doing the exact same thing to Jagwire, the only difference between what I did and what you're doing is that you do it just enough to piss me off but not enough that you attract attention from the mods.

You missed the point of my post, but oh well.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Shhh, don't you know he's trying not to tangle with the moronic fanboys again??
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

what does that mean?

anyway, ive chatted with mercuttio a bit about both, but apparently the version he had was the V1. he enjoyed it but said he wasnt a fan of the dark signature of the hp3000. i was just curious if people have heard the V2 and whether they can tell the difference, beucase the driver was moved closer to the ear from what i understand.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #64 of 79
Sorry to thread an old subject, but just had a chance to read skyline 889's great review. The reason HP2s sound best with flats is the drivers have a radial cut acoustic lens in front of and centered on the driver. In the attached photos also note the amount of copper showing on the windings. I really agree with agile_one that the HP2 is one of the all-time best headphones. After 15 years of use I have never had a sibilance issue unless it was part of the recording. These headphones are indeed very neutral in sonic presentation, but like others, I find their ability to just disappear - get out of the musical way - is almost without equal. After years these headphones still stand as a testament to Mr. Grado! Grado Grado! 

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #65 of 79
    Good way to sum it up. I don't think about sound quality at all when I use them- just the music.

Quote:Originally Posted by VonRip /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These headphones are indeed very neutral in sonic presentation, but like others, I find their ability to just disappear - get out of the musical way - is almost without equal.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #66 of 79
My Grado's were a Christmas present from my wife in 1992 (of course, she bought the HP-1's mostly because they were the top of the line, but read on for the current difference between the HP-1's and the HP'2's).  Back then they cost $600 new.  They have performed flawlessly for the entire time that I have owned them, except for once, when, after 14 years of perfect performance, one of the driver's stopped working.

My HP-1's were repaired by Joseph Grado himself, even though he was retired, and had moved to South Carolina.  He called me directly as soon as he got the HP-1's.  This meant that that he had to call me in Hawaii, from where he lived in South Carolina.  I was very impressed by this, and by his continuing devotion to his customers.  I got the feeling that he could not stand the idea that something with his name on it was not performing perfectly.  By that time, the HP-1's were so old that I figured I had long since gotten my money's worth out of them (hmm .. I guess that I should say, "my wife's money's worth").

However, I loved my Grado cans so much that I was thrilled when I heard that Joseph Grado himself was willing to do the necessary repair work.  I fully expected the company to say, "sorry, they are too old to repair" when I originally called to see if the HP-1's could be repaired.  I had no idea that Joseph Grado would do the repair himself, much less actually call me himself.  we need more people like Joseph Grado in American manufacturing (or, maybe I should say, "American craftsmanship").

Of course, when I picked up the phone and heard a voice saying that he was Joseph Grado, I could hardly believe it.  He has been one of my heroes ever since my college years 30 years ago when my friend bought a the Grado company after my friend bought one of their cartridges.  I thought that it was amazingly cool for my friend to own a cartridge ma de out of wood.

So anyway, suddenly I was talking to Joseph Grado himself, and this is what he said.  First, because the drivers are always perfectly matched in his headphones, he would not let the headphones leave his shop with his name on it without replacing both drivers with a pair of perfectly matched new drivers.  That was fine with me.  The extra cost was well worth it.  Secondly, he insisted that I replace what he, apparently, considered the heresy of having bowls instead of flats on a pair of HP-1's.  I was embarrassed and mumbled out some lame defense about not being able to find any flats.  And finally, he noted that there is no longer any reason for the polarity switches, so he recommended that I have him disconnect them altogether.

So, as to one of the issues in this thread, yes, the review was excellent, and I appreciate being able to read this review.  Thanks you to the OP for posting it.  However, according to Joseph Grado himself, the designer of the entire HP-1000 Series, all three of these pairs of headphones should be used with flats and NOT bowls (Grado's emphasis, not mine).

Apparently, back when the HP-1's were manufactured, there was a practice within the recording industry which made it helpful to have a polarity switch that could reverse the polarity on one's headphones.  When new, the directions simply said to flip the polarity switch back and forth when listening to a song, and to leave the switch in whichever position sounded better on that particular album (polarity normal, or polarity reversed).  According to Joseph Grado, the recording industry no longer uses the practice that necessitated the switches, so he recommend that they be disconnected, and thereby allow the signal to take the shortest possible route.

As to polarity switch disconnection that Joseph Grado recommended, please do not ask me to explain, because I did not really understand this myself.  But, if Joseph Grado himself recommended disconnecting the polarity switches, who was I to argue?  So, when my Grado's came home form Joseph Grado's personal repair shop:  (1) they had two new, perfectly matched drivers, and sounded as wonderful as ever; (2) they had flats instead of the bowls that offended Mr. Grado so much; and (3) the polarity switches were disconnected.  Now maybe this is only the placebos effect, but with the polarity switches disconnected, they seemed to sound even a bit more wonderful than before.  It has been five years since the repair, and my HP-1's have still, after the repair, performed with the same perfection and sonic beauty that the had before the repair.

So, what does all this mean for the difference between the HP-1 and the HP-2.  Well, my non-expert opinion is that the only differences that I could make out between the two were the existence of a polarity switch on the HP-1 design (same drivers, etc., I think).  Also, if memory serves me correct, the headband on the HP-1 is a bit nicer (the HP-1's have a very nice metallic headband covered with very nice, high-quality leather).  So, at this point, would I pay extra for a set of HP-1's if I was in the market to buy a set of series HP-1000 Grado Headphones?

No, I would not.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Grado HP-1's, and I would not trade them for a pair of HP-2's.  However, if I bought a used pair of HP-1's with the polarity switches still connected, the first thing I would do would be to send them to Joseph Grado to have the polarity switches disconnected.  So, my bet is that, if one is looking to buy a pair of Grado Series HP-1000 headphones, and if what one is seeking is sonic beauty (and not collector's value), and if a pair of HP-2's of equal age and quality are available for a lower price than the HP-1's available, then I would go for the HP-2's.  You would get equal sonic beauty for less money, and  the only cost would be, possibly, the bit of extra comfort that the HP-1's MIGHT provide.

One final note:  I am an unabashed Grado fanboy, this is not a review, and I have made no attempt to be unbiased.  This is a story, and not a review.  The purpose of the story is to report my satisfaction with my Grado HP-1's, and to report that, if I understood correctly what Joseph Grado himself told me, then their is no longer any sonic difference between the HP-1's and the HP'2's because there is no longer any need for the feature that was the main distinguishing factor between the two:  the polarity switches.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #67 of 79
Did Joe do the full upgrade on your HP1 or bought them to factory stock condition? If he did perform his magic on the phones, they would sound better than before. The disabling of the polarity switches alone might not make that much of a difference. Joe himself mentioned that HP1 and HP2 are on the same level sonically. 
Congratulations for joining the HP1i club!

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #68 of 79
He did not say that he was doing a "full upgrade" or anything like that.  But, he replaced the blown driver, and, to provide balanced drivers also replaced the good driver.  Aside from two brand new drivers, and the new flat pads,  I am not sure what else could have been be done.  I am sure that those headphones did not leave Joseph Grado' shop without being up to factory specs.  In fact, I kind of got the idea that it would be over his dead body that a pair of Grado's could ever leave his shop not sounding the best they could possibly sound.

Did they sound better when I got them back?  Yes.  But the thing is, they sounded good in the first place, in fact, better, than anything else I have heard, right up until the left driver blew.  Then, the next time I got to hear that beautiful sound was when the Grado's came home again.  Where they better when they came home?  Yes, but I am not sure by how much.  Maybe a lot, or more likely, it was like I said.  They were so good when they left, it would have been difficult to notice any changes beyond the improved sound from using flats.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #69 of 79

Quote:
He did not say that he was doing a "full upgrade" or anything like that.  But, he replaced the blown driver, and, to provide balanced drivers also replaced the good driver.  Aside from two brand new drivers, and the new flat pads,  I am not sure what else could have been be done.  I am sure that those headphones did not leave Joseph Grado' shop without being up to factory specs.  In fact, I kind of got the idea that it would be over his dead body that a pair of Grado's could ever leave his shop not sounding the best they could possibly sound.

Did they sound better when I got them back?  Yes.  But the thing is, they sounded good in the first place, in fact, better, than anything else I have heard, right up until the left driver blew.  Then, the next time I got to hear that beautiful sound was when the Grado's came home again.  Where they better when they came home?  Yes, but I am not sure by how much.  Maybe a lot, or more likely, it was like I said.  They were so good when they left, it would have been difficult to notice any changes beyond the improved sound from using flats.

The upgrade actually makes noticeable difference to the sound. It includes some doping on the drivers and other things that he wouldn't talk about. He would also take the whole thing apart, cleaning and realign everything.The cable is also changed. Did you get a new cable when the phones came back?
Like you said, they were great to start off with anyways. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #70 of 79
Joe definitely cleaned them, and cleaned them well.  As to the cable, what I have now is the "Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-wide Bandwidth Reference Cable."  It has a long arrow indicating that it is a one-way cable.  Also, it looks brand new, with no letters "rubbed off," unlike how the lettering on the driver enclosure that has been partially rubbed off.  So, I'd say that there is a pretty good chance that he also gave me a new cable.  In fact, I have not thought of this since the repair, but now that you mention it, it has jogged my memory, and I now recall Joseph Grado saying that he replaced the cable.  Also, I thought that it had just been a placebos effect, but these cans some great, so maybe my opinion that they sound significantly better after the repair is true, and not just placebos effect.

So, pcf, (and others), what do you think about this?

(1)  Does it sound like I got the new cabling (is the type cable that I noted above the name of the original cable or is it upgraded cabling that was not installed on the original HP-1's)? and

(2)  Do you think that the combination of brand new drivers, band new flats, and brand new upgraded cabling, would be enough for me to notice a district improvement in the already excellent sound of the Grado HP-1's, or do you think that I am suffering from "placebos effect," as I had originally assumed, and still assumed, up until yesterday?

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #71 of 79

Quote:
Joe definitely cleaned them, and cleaned them well.  As to the cable, what I have now is the "Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-wide Bandwidth Reference Cable."  It has a long arrow indicating that it is a one-way cable.  Also, it looks brand new, with no letters "rubbed off," unlike how the lettering on the driver enclosure that has been partially rubbed off.  So, I'd say that there is a pretty good chance that he also gave me a new cable.  In fact, I have not thought of this since the repair, but now that you mention it, it has jogged my memory, and I now recall Joseph Grado saying that he replaced the cable.  Also, I thought that it had just been a placebos effect, but these cans some great, so maybe my opinion that they sound significantly better after the repair is true, and not just placebos effect.

So, pcf, (and others), what do you think about this?

(1)  Does it sound like I got the new cabling (is the type cable that I noted above the name of the original cable or is it upgraded cabling that was not installed on the original HP-1's)? and

(2)  Do you think that the combination of brand new drivers, band new flats, and brand new upgraded cabling, would be enough for me to notice a district improvement in the already excellent sound of the Grado HP-1's, or do you think that I am suffering from "placebos effect," as I had originally assumed, and still assumed, up until yesterday?

"Joseph Grado Signature Ulta-wide  Bandwidth Reference Cable" was one of the two original cables. The other one is Standard Joseph Grado Signature Cable. If Joe said he changed the cable then he must have done so.
The upgrade definitely makes a difference and it is not placebo. I still have a pair of stock HP2 so I can A/B them. The modded ones are better.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #72 of 79
Well, another happy ending for a joe grado product owner.  Pcf, did Joe returned your old HP1000 drivers & old cables when you sent your HP2 in for the upgrade?  Is there anything you like on your stock HP2 over the improved HP2i?  Is it possible for you to quantify the upgrade in terms of %?  If it's something I do before leaving head-fi, it would be getting my headphones upgraded first. 

Edit:  Well, I called up legendary Joe Grado, thanked him and asked about the upgrade.  Those drivers are actually old new stock from 40 years ago and he will keep your old existing drivers and reuse them if he can.  It looks like he won't be returning your old drivers and cable as he didn't like the fact that people were selling them off on ebay...he just can't have that.  Asked about getting a new pair of leather headband but the price for that is $350, even though it's excellent quality leather...I'll have to pass on that.  Takes 4 to 6 weeks after payment has been received.  Looks like there's a fee of $1250 + shipping + $80. That's around $1400 total.  Just not sure if the upgrade is the worth the price paid.  Wish I reside in the US
triportsad.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #74 of 79

Quote:
Well, another happy ending for a joe grado product owner.  Pcf, did Joe returned your old HP1000 drivers & old cables when you sent your HP2 in for the upgrade?  Is there anything you like on your stock HP2 over the improved HP2i?  Is it possible for you to quantify the upgrade in terms of %?  If it's something I do before leaving head-fi, it would be getting my headphones upgraded first. 

Edit:  Well, I called up legendary Joe Grado, thanked him and asked about the upgrade.  Those drivers are actually old new stock from 40 years ago and he will keep your old existing drivers and reuse them if he can.  It looks like he won't be returning your old drivers and cable as he didn't like the fact that people were selling them off on ebay...he just can't have that.  Asked about getting a new pair of leather headband but the price for that is $350, even though it's excellent quality leather...I'll have to pass on that.  Takes 4 to 6 weeks after payment has been received.  Looks like there's a fee of $1250 + shipping + $80. That's around $1400 total.  Just not sure if the upgrade is the worth the price paid.  Wish I reside in the US
triportsad.gif

Sorry for the late reply. I just notice this post. Joe answered most of your questions anyway.
normal_smile%20.gif

To me the upgraded version extended further on both ends, especially the bass which now has more texture and sounds very solid (PS1000's bass feels a touch soft in comparison). I did bring my HP1i to a meet in California early this year and the gentleman from the next table (I am so bad at remembering names) happened to have a pair of stock HP1 so we did some listening. He thought the upgraded version was more forwarding sounding. I agreed with that to a certain extent but they are not bright.
Whether it is a worthwhile upgrade depends. If you want a better sounding HP1000, yes. If you plan to sell them at some point, NO. Hard to imagine many people would pay you thousands of dollars for them.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #75 of 79
40 years old drivers! Wow. The headphone itself is about half as old.

Those things are made tough. Awesome thread, I wish we spoke more about the HP1000 and the upgrade. I have read on another forum like Headphile? that Joe also does some burning by playing back through the headphones some special frequencies. I have thought of mentioning it here because it hadn't been said previously.
-Special burning in process
-Magic goo applied to the inside of the walls inside the cup
-Cleaning
-Recabling
-Special driver doping
-Sometimes redrivering, but I agree with what Joseph said to you Tama that we ought to do our best to keep and reuse those endangered species of a driver

I now have a HP1000 and they were sold to me as brand new in box, lol, but I doubt they are that new because the cable is a bit twisted and the box used.

I don't want to send them to Joe Grado because I'm quite poor and because I don't think they need enhancements just yet. I will burn them myself, lol, old-fashioned way, with actual music :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back