Grado HP-2: Review
Aug 13, 2006 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
*ALERT: TEST WAS CONDUCTED WITH GRADO BOWLS, NOT FLATS! PER MY AUDIO PREFERENCES*

First off I'd like to thank Refault for kindly lending me his pair of Grado HP-2s for the week. He invited me over for a mini-meet this past Thursday and these cans just blew my mind, so he graciously consented for a temporary swap with my Headphile modded Sony MDR-CD3000s
smily_headphones1.gif
. Please remember while reading through this that everything is always "IMO" and "IME". These headphones weren't auditioned with what most people would deem reference quality components, I do not claim to have the elusive "golden ears" either. I'm just another headphone nut here. It should also be noted that my taste of sound tonality has evolved in a rather strange fashion compared to the typical headphone user. I prefer a highly detailed presentation with excellent instrument and vocal seperation along with a wide soundstage, rather than a lush, warm sound.

Brief intro:

The Grado HP1000 series consisted of the HP-1, the HP-2, and the HP-3. They were released in the early 90s' and were designed and tuned by Joseph Grado himself, John Grado's uncle, and the founder of Grado Labs. To many headphone enthusiasts, these are considered one of the top dynamic cans ever produced, and are mentioned in the same breath as the Sony MDR-R10s, the Audio Technica ATH-L3000s, and the Qualia 010s. When they were first released the MSRP was just shy of $500 ($495 USD). The current price for these amazing cans? About $900-1400 depending on model and condition. They have also been recognized as having been built to a higher level of standards then the current Grado models, which I have to say I agree with.

So what's the difference between the HP-1s, 2s, and 3s? To most, the HP-1 is the most prized of the bunch, while the HP-3, much like the HD-590 to Sennheiser, is the ugly step-son of sort, a bit left out. The HP-2s are the most common and the easiest to obtain. The HP-1 came with the confusing polarity/phase switcher, that swaps the signal and ground to the drivers. Some say they can hear a difference, some claim it's placebo and nothing seems to change. I guess I'll just have to wait for the chance to audition another variation of these beauties to confirm whether or not those comments ring true or not.

Much like Sennheiser's HD580-650 line-up, the two top tier versions, the HP-1 and HP-2, both came with drivers that were matched to much closer specs than the lower end HP-3s. The HP1000 series were also released with two variants of cabling, the Ultra-Wide Bandwith Cable, which is said to have a better handle on the top end but sacrifices bass quantity. And the Signature Laboratory Standard, which many claim to be the polar opposite, with a bit more emphasis on bass and a small sacrifice in resolution and detail.

Equipment

Source:
-NAD C521BEE
-Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro
-Creative Labs Zen Vision 30GB

Amplifier:
-Meier Audio Corda Head-Five

Cables:
-Analog Research Silver Raincoat power cord
-Prelude Audio Rhapsody 1.0m
-Custom made Cardas mini w/mini to RCA adaptor

Headphone:
-Grado Labs HP-2 w/Grado Labs Signature Laboratory Standard cable/Grado Bowls

Build Quality & Aesthetics

What they say is true, they sure don't make 'em like they used to. You pick these headphones up and you get an immediate sense that these babies were made to last. The newer aluminum Grados, the SR-325/325i, and the MS2 don't even come close in terms of build quality or fit and finish, I have yet to audition a PS-1 so I can't claim how those fair against the HP-2s. There have been quite a few complaints with the PS-1s however. Supposedly John recycled cups from the Freesystems wireless headphones, and a few Head-Fiers have claimed that they could see the old etched lettering from the Freesystems logo showing through on their PS-1s. A tad bit dissapointing considering that they were originally sold for $1400, I'm sure Joe Grado wouldn't have put up with quality control like this. As for the plastic Grados, don't even start. Their frames and housings are so flimsy that sometimes I'm amazed at how they are able to stand up to the daily riggors of portable use. The wooden Grados I'm afraid also can't compete with the HP-2s in terms of fit and finish. I've seen and heard of too many new RS-1s and RS-2s with chips on the edges of the cups or glue melting out the back of the housings, the "Late Friday" debacle was also a bit dissapointing.

Nearly the entire headphone is constructed with thick, high quality aluminum, and all surfaces are finished with a beautiful matte brushed finish that gives these cans a sense of occasion. These also come equipped with handy fasteners built into the headband attachments, that prevent the notorious Grado cup twisting, they also keep the drivers from sliding down the aluminum adjustment bands, which is also quite common and irritating on newer production Grados. I also prefer the black interior driver covers over the current white that Grado employs.

Regardless of what people say about Grado styling, these cans are beautiful. They may not be the sexiest out there, I.E. Qualia 010, however while the Qualias have a slim and taught profile and look like they were designed for some Abercrombie & Fitch pretty boy, the HP-2s have a beefy look to them, I believe the proper term is American Muscle. When I look at these cans I definitely think '71 Challenger, that in and of itself justifies a purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort:

Like with all Grados, sound was placed as a higher priority then comfort. I'm not sure whether Joe and John have not only golden but ears of steel as well, but after about two hours these things just get too uncomfortable to wear. While the all aluminum contruction adds to the visual appeal and ruggedness of the HP-2, it also plays a large part in its substantial heft. These massives cans weigh in at just under a pound including cables and bowl pads. Unlike modern Grados, the headband is quite stiff and does not flex to contour around your head very well. This leads to an enormous amount of pressure being exerted on your cartiledge and was unbearable for me after a mere two hours. If comfort is your number one priority, you're better off with a Sennheiser or a Sony.

Sound:

It's hard to describe what these headphones sound like without being construed as a fanboy. I can't say that these are the most musical headphones I've ever heard as I believe that title falls upon the god-like Orpheus however. Nor are they the most fun headphones I've ever heard as I believe the HF-1s match the criteria for that perfectly. However I can say that the way they reproduce sound, just blows me away.

Bass:

The bass on the Hp-2s is impressive to say the least. It doesn't reach as far down as say a Headphile CD3000 but the way it strikes those lows makes them special. It is tight and well defined and very fast. There is no mid-bass bloat that we see on so many headphones nowadays, it just sounds very natural. On Nada Surf's "If you leave", the bass on these really shine, it has a sense of presence but never overpowers the rest of the music. Every note is just impossibly tight. The only song I could find that exhibited some bloat with these headphones is Low's "Just Like Christmas". It could have just been the recording however, the HP-2s did sound muddy and a bit congested on this song. I personally like to use Steel Pulse's "Rollerskates" to really test out a headphones bottom end since the song contains many notes that unless properly executed, sound like they're coming out from a $50 subwoofer. Needless to say the HP-2s passed with flying colors. To me a good headphone will produce bass that you can really feel, when you here it it doesn't distract you from the other parts of the song but it does exhibit a certain amount of slam and impact with each note. The HP-2s did exactly this, although the sound does slide a bit towards the lean side.

Mids:

I would not classify the mids on these as being lush or full, rather very neutral and accurate. On some songs, this can lead to them sounding a bit boring and I can certainly see why some users have disliked them. However, on most tracks, they do sound quite good. I think one song that really shines with this headphone is Enya's "May it be", which some of you know as the LOTR's theme song. I have not ever heard this song sound so realistic, on speakers or headphones. I'm not a real big fan of having "neutral" headphones, that supposedly portray exactly what the original sounded like, in my experience they never really get the job done. I do imagine though, that if I were to listen to Enya live, this is exactly what it would sound like. There's a smoothness and texture surrounding the music that just completely immerses you.

Highs:

*SYBILLANCE PROBLEMS WERE DUE TO INADEQUATELY MATCHED SOURCE AND THE USE OF BOWL PADS, HP-2S WITH FLATS DO NOT EXHIBIT THIS MINUTE SYBILLANCE*

I would say this is one of the few areas that this headphone exhibits some flaws. On numerous recordings there was an excess amount of sybillance, something that shouldn't be there when paired with the warm, tube-like, Head-Five. I'm not sure whether this was because of improper system matching or if it was on the original recording but after a while it gets rather fatigueing. On some songs it sounds magnificent but on a few, the constant "ssss" just overpowers and distracts you from enjoying the music. One of these certain songs was Deathcab's "Photobooth", I just couldn't enjoy the music because of the incessant hissing. I have experienced sybillance on my HF-1s with this song before though, so it could possibly be the recording. One song that the HP-2 handled particularly well with regards to the highs, was Pure Heart's (With Jake Shimabukuro) "Jake's prelude". Having heard this live, I can honestly say that the reproduction was extremely realistic. Each note sounds like it's literally being played right in front of you. The clarity and resolution of these HP-2s is just incredible.

Conclusions:

While these are one of the best headphones I've heard, I'm still not sure whether or not they are worth the vast sums of money they currently command on eBay/Audiogon/etc. IMO they are great headphonEs for around $500-700. If I'm going to pay $1500 for headphones I want them to blow me away in every single aspect I can think of. That includes sound, comfort, styling, fit and finish, and durability. Sadly these headphones remarkable as they are, fail to meet several of the aforementioned criteria and thus, if given the option to buy a pair of these, I would have to graciously decline. If given the option to buy a pair of HP3000s however, I might have to think it over
biggrin.gif
. Hope you weren't too dissapointed with my review.

-David

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Using a high quality source you will hear no sibilance out of this headphone. The HP-2 is highly resolving and can be unforgiving of lesser sources.

Yep, I was going to say - of all the headphones I've heard, the HP1000 are among the top 2 or 3 for being least sibilant and least fatiguing. They're also possibly the least grainy dynamics I've heard. Certainly, they were awesome headphones for the price when they were at $600-$700. I've debated myself whether they're worth the current $1.2K+ prices - true, they are not likely to blow you away at first listen - but honestly they do certain things that nothing else can.

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 79
Hah, HP3000's eh?

Man, I really want a pair of classic HP2. I borrowed Jason's HP1 for a while, and I was in total heaven. Coming from the GS1000 which can be sibilant on some recordings and are... well... not very neutral, the HP1 was just a breath of fresh air. I felt as if I was feeling the absolute soul of the recording.

However, I really don't think of the HP2 as a headphone that CAN be sibilant. The GS1000 lended itself to it, but the HP2... hmmm. I dunno.

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 79
Why are you using bowls? Those headphones were originally designed for flats and should be listened with flats. I heard a pair of the old Joe Grado headphones at the meet and they were unbearable in the highs with the bowls, because they were designed with the flats in mind.

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Using a high quality source you will hear no sibilance out of this headphone. The HP-2 is highly resolving and can be unforgiving of lesser sources.

I concur, I can't remember the last time I've heard any sibilance with mine HP's. But thank you for the review, which should be helpful to a lot of prospective users

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 79
This sibilance on the hp-1000 is defintiely very very strange. When I had a pair(for two months), when tube rolling, and comparing sibilance on my gs-1000, I always used the hp-1000 as the "standard" as it is so very not sibilant.

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Why are you using bowls? Those headphones were originally designed for flats and should be listened with flats. I heard a pair of the old Joe Grado headphones at the meet and they were unbearable in the highs with the bowls, because they were designed with the flats in mind.

I tried both flats and HD414s, they sounded highly congested and lacked the amount of resolution and detail that I was getting with the bowls.

As for the sybillance, I only heard it on about four different songs and it was a very small minority. The only reason why I noted it was because the songs it did exhibit some sybillance with, were some of my favorites. You're right though, the NAD C521BEE while good for the price, is a mediocre component when compared to higher echelon players such as the Krell KAV-300i I auditioned the other week.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 79
Yeah, gotta agree. Bowls are just wrong and the HP1000 were not designed nor intended for anything but flats. I'll bet they do sound sibilant with bowls (I gave 'em a brief listen like this a while back and it was aweful). Give the flats a try for a few days - once you adapt there's no going back. I don't think the sibilance is the source so much as it's the pads.

Aug 13, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Yeah, gotta agree. Bowls are just wrong and the HP1000 were not designed nor intended for anything but flats. I'll bet they do sound sibilant with bowls (I gave 'em a brief listen like this a while back and it was aweful). Give the flats a try for a few days - once you adapt there's no going back. I don't think the sibilance is the source so much as it's the pads.

Don't have any flat pads on me but I'll give the 414s another shot. I only tried the flats at Refaults house so mayeb I was still getting used to the HP-2?

Aug 13, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Don't have any flat pads on me but I'll give the 414s another shot. I only tried the flats at Refaults house so mayeb I was still getting used to the HP-2?

then buy some! The hp-1000 was MADE for flats, you will not enjoy them as they were meant to be without flats!

Aug 13, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
then buy some! The hp-1000 was MADE for flats, you will not enjoy them as they were meant to be without flats!

Agreed! Skyline, you may want to at the very least do reverse bowls for now until you get some flats on those.

Aug 13, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321

Lol, I tried them out with HD414 flats this evening and wow, they really do sound better with flats. I guess it just took me a while to get used to the sound signature, sadly though they're going back to Refault tomorrow, as my trial session is over (Flying to Kauai on Monday so wanted to get them back to him before I leave, plus he need the bowls back). The bass is a little thick but I believe that stems from the warm Head-Five, it still sounds amazing though. If I ever get a chance to buy them for under a grand, (Not likely but got to keep my hopes up, happened twice this year) I would seriously have to think hard about pulling some funds. I believe that under a grand these cans are tops, above that I think I'd rather get the HP3000 since it'll have the sound but be comfortable and look even better as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Sigh as of tomorrow it's back to the Headphile CD3000, Jub, and HF-1, I guess that's not too depressing
biggrin.gif
. I still hate to see these cans leave my rig though.

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 79
Wow, just listened to Patrick Park's "Something Pretty", there're so many things that I hadn't heard on this song before. During the chorus there're drums/snares playing in the background, and at the end of the song there's an echo that follows each beat. I'm not sure whether I just wasn't paying attention to it previously but I was just really wowed. I've heard this song a hundred times and I've never noticed those things before. I've also found that with the HD414 pads on and the drivers angled and fastened with the lockers, these seem to just melt away on your head. Of course I'd find all this stuff out at 12:41 am when the cans are being returned 6 hours from now
rolleyes.gif
. I was really surprised with the 414 pads. I had first put them on on the second day of my audition and they did not impress me. The sound seemed very congested and their just wasn't enough detail for me, it's amazing how much things can change within the timespan of a week. These cans really do grow on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back