grado hole venting
Oct 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aljonn30

Head-Fier
Ive had my 325is for a week now and while i think they sound great unmodded i do see myself wanting to hear more bass impact from the kick drums for most of my songs.  Ive read that venting the holes will icrease bass.  most punch 4 holes and that seems a little excessive to me so i think id like to try out punching 2 holes.  My question is does it matter at which position i place the holes in?

Also on a side note, punching holes would require me to open up the headphone and in doing so i can also remove the button in the middle of the grill.  The silver lining on the button were scratched very easily so i decided to just remove all of it. So as of now my headphones look like this

I like this look on the headphones but im curious to know is removing the button will improve the sound of the headphones.  Ive also read that the plastic ring holding the grill on the alumnum cup can be taken off and improve the sound, is this true? Thanks

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Simple ~ amplify them.

Try this in combination with a bassier source eg, change of soundcard or DAC.

My current combo is very bassy, almost too bassy with some tracks but that's me.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Also have you tried removing the center button?  is it really difficult to remove the excess glue?

Try searching in the Grado mod threads but if memory serves me correctly, there is no benefit
sonically speaking to removing the button, just a cosmetic change so it looks like an MS2i.

Believe most tend to lightly steam the cups to open them or use a hair dryer to loosen the glue.

Not for me, I'd consider modding my SR80i soon enough but not the 325i's 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Old thread so perhaps too late for suggestions but here I go :). My 325i came from the factory with 10 holes vented and has superb bass (although I do drive the pair with amps and dacs). Can you shine light and see whether some holes are already vented?

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Thats interesting! Bought like new 500e's off ebay. Dude was serious hifi addict. Valve amps, 3 turntables. All pristine gear. He swears that he didnt vent them. I got curious as bass was much deeper than prev pair. Sure enough, up to light and 4 holes per cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back