Grado Hemp Headphone Loaner Program @TTVJAudio.com
Jul 9, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 49
I pre-ordered a set of these the day I first saw the announcement. Overall I generally agree with @elira assessment. They seem like an incremental upgrade to the 325e, with a little fuller sound and more bass. I haven't heard any of the other Reference series to compare.

He said he preferred Hemp to 325i, NOT incremental upgrade. He also said Grado’s lack low end and have harsh treble, BUT the Hemp does not have these issues.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #17 of 49
He said he preferred Hemp to 325i, NOT incremental upgrade. He also said Grado’s lack low end and have harsh treble, BUT the Hemp does not have these issues.

Yes, he said those things, and I said I GENERALLY agreed and then added my own take.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 49
Any updates on the position of this tour! Really interested in some more impressions and to get these on my ears!
I'll be posting my review of them soon. I sent them off to the next person in line a week or so ago.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #21 of 49
First off, I want to thank Todd again for letting partake in the loaner program for the Grado Hemp’s. They were truly a great listen.

PACKAGING

The Grado Hemp’s come in the standard Grado packaging. Only this time in white.

1596590437630.png

Open the box up and you’ll see on the insert a brief summation of Grado’s business tenure and a cutout about their legacy

1596590492709.png

BUILD

The Grado Hemp, like the name suggests is made from Hemp wood. Hemp wood itself is a new building material that is manmade. Hemp wood is manufactured at a plant in Murray, Kentucky. Taken from builtwithrise.com Hemp wood is “made from low THC cannabis plants containing a concentration of no more than 0.3 percent THC. The hemp pulp fibers are compressed by the process of bio-mimicry and strengthened with a tested soy-based glue”. The wood was developed using the algorithm of an oak tree and reverse-engineering the growth cycle to mimic the hardness, density, and stability of the popular building material”.

From Grado’s website the “hemp creates a damping effect between their fibers. This produces a fuller sound, comprised of a noticeable low end and a top end that extends smoothly to its limits”. But Grado did not stop there. To get the sound of the Hemp, Grado integrated maple wood into the housing. The mixture of maple helps balance out the sound and brings out the sonic properties that maple produces.

The drivers are special tuned for this new material. They are open-air, dynamic drivers with a frequency response of 13hz – 28khz. The drivers have a 38 Ohm impedance with a SPL of 98 mW. Making them easy to operate from just about any source. Grado choose to pair the Hemp with F cushions. The Hemps sits really close your ears with these pads. Together with the hemp and maple housing the Grado sound is maintained.

SOUND

Setup: iFi Micro USB3.0, Burson Conductor 3XR, Tidal. Putting these on the first thing you notice is the breakaway from the typical Grado sound that you’re use too. Since the Hemps sits a lot closer to your ears, bass levels are bumped up significantly. The Hemps almost sounds boomy. What I noticed about the Hemp’s in comparison in comparison to the GH1 is the lack the clarity of Hemp’s. The bass is deeper on Hemp’s but the midrange isn’t as clear as it is on the GH1’s. The treble is also rolled off in comparison to the GH1.

1596590540381.png

As an experiment, I put the Hemp pads on the GH1 and the results are outstanding. It also proves my theory that the bass levels are increased because the earphones are sitting closer your ears. These pads transform the GH1 into entirely different sounding headphone. Bass is no longer light. Instead is hits hard with impact. The midrange is full sounding but the treble detail and clarity on the GH1 takes a small hit. Nor does the GH1 sound as open. Soundstage is smaller as well with the F cushions on the GH1.

Putting the L cushions on the Hemp opens the soundstage and improves clarity. The boomy bass is more refined and is still deeper than the GH1 with L cushions. To me it seems the Hemp is tuned to be a bassier headphone. The F cushions makes them sound quite congested in comparison. Treble is somewhat muted. The F cushions also has this effect on the GH1’s.

Moving over to my newly modified Liquid Platinum with my Hugo 2 as the DAC and Schiit Loki something strange happen. The Hemp’s became downright musical with the L-cushions. The 7730 tubes I have in the LP set the tone for the rest of my listening session. The dynamics that Grado are known for came alive with the pairing. Overall, I feel the Hemp’s are priced accordingly. They are not the most resolving Grado’s I’ve heard but the new tuning makes them a worth while listen.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 49
First off, I want to thank Todd again for letting partake in the loaner program for the Grado Hemp’s. They were truly a great listen.

PACKAGING

The Grado Hemp’s come in the standard Grado packaging. Only this time in white.

1596590437630.png

Open the box up and you’ll see on the insert a brief summation of Grado’s business tenure and a cutout about their legacy

1596590492709.png

BUILD

The Grado Hemp, like the name suggests is made from Hemp wood. Hemp wood itself is a new building material that is manmade. Hemp wood is manufactured at a plant in Murray, Kentucky. Taken from builtwithrise.com Hemp wood is “made from low THC cannabis plants containing a concentration of no more than 0.3 percent THC. The hemp pulp fibers are compressed by the process of bio-mimicry and strengthened with a tested soy-based glue”. The wood was developed using the algorithm of an oak tree and reverse-engineering the growth cycle to mimic the hardness, density, and stability of the popular building material”.

From Grado’s website the “hemp creates a damping effect between their fibers. This produces a fuller sound, comprised of a noticeable low end and a top end that extends smoothly to its limits”. But Grado did not stop there. To get the sound of the Hemp, Grado integrated maple wood into the housing. The mixture of maple helps balance out the sound and brings out the sonic properties that maple produces.

The drivers are special tuned for this new material. They are open-air, dynamic drivers with a frequency response of 13hz – 28khz. The drivers have a 38 Ohm impedance with a SPL of 98 mW. Making them easy to operate from just about any source. Grado choose to pair the Hemp with F cushions. The Hemps sits really close your ears with these pads. Together with the hemp and maple housing the Grado sound is maintained.

SOUND

Setup: iFi Micro USB3.0, Burson Conductor 3XR, Tidal. Putting these on the first thing you notice is the breakaway from the typical Grado sound that you’re use too. Since the Hemps sits a lot closer to your ears, bass levels are bumped up significantly. The Hemps almost sounds boomy. What I noticed about the Hemp’s in comparison in comparison to the GH1 is the lack the clarity of Hemp’s. The bass is deeper on Hemp’s but the midrange isn’t as clear as it is on the GH1’s. The treble is also rolled off in comparison to the GH1.

1596590540381.png

As an experiment, I put the Hemp pads on the GH1 and the results are outstanding. It also proves my theory that the bass levels are increased because the earphones are sitting closer your ears. These pads transform the GH1 into entirely different sounding headphone. Bass is no longer light. Instead is hits hard with impact. The midrange is full sounding but the treble detail and clarity on the GH1 takes a small hit. Nor does the GH1 sound as open. Soundstage is smaller as well with the F cushions on the GH1.

Putting the L cushions on the Hemp opens the soundstage and improves clarity. The boomy bass is more refined and is still deeper than the GH1 with L cushions. To me it seems the Hemp is tuned to be a bassier headphone. The F cushions makes them sound quite congested in comparison. Treble is somewhat muted. The F cushions also has this effect on the GH1’s.

Moving over to my newly modified Liquid Platinum with my Hugo 2 as the DAC and Schiit Loki something strange happen. The Hemp’s became downright musical with the L-cushions. The 7730 tubes I have in the LP set the tone for the rest of my listening session. The dynamics that Grado are known for came alive with the pairing. Overall, I feel the Hemp’s are priced accordingly. They are not the most resolving Grado’s I’ve heard but the new tuning makes them a worth while listen.

Great review! Thank you for including the details — even some negatives that help people like me who are interested in this can — where some weak spots might be. I’m now leaning towards buying some TTVJ flat pads to try with my GH2s, but would love to hear these with with the L-pads as the tuning you described sounds pretty awesome. Plus, the cans look simply awesome.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 49
Great review! Thank you for including the details — even some negatives that help people like me who are interested in this can — where some weak spots might be. I’m now leaning towards buying some TTVJ flat pads to try with my GH2s, but would love to hear these with with the L-pads as the tuning you described sounds pretty awesome. Plus, the cans look simply awesome.
Yes, the L-Cushions make the Hemp's sound more like the Grado's most are familiar with. The Hemp's do look fantastic.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #24 of 49
HI Guys,

send me your info and I will add you on to the list. It is long and will take a while for the Hemp headphones to come your way but eventually you will get a pair. The first 3 people on the list have received them and #4 should be receiving them next week.

Todd

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #26 of 49
I am getting these soon!! Yeah! Thanks Todd...been awhile since I had a set of Grados, 80's and 325is....these look really neat..cant wait to do a review on them next week!

Alex
I jumped ship from the loaner tour because i couldn’t wait and just went ahead and picked up a set through Todd. Order to delivery was a quick 3 days. I am really happy with the purchase. Love the hemp influenced Grado sound and think it complements my current lineup of Cascades and HD600!

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 49
This will be interesting for me...these intrigue me...the price is really decent for a good set of cans....we shall see.

I have a set of Focal Clears, HD600's, and HEDD headphones and a dozen amps....been thru dozens of other cans and am really looking forward to this experience!

Alex

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 49
This will be interesting for me...these intrigue me...the price is really decent for a good set of cans....we shall see.

I have a set of Focal Clears, HD600's, and HEDD headphones and a dozen amps....been thru dozens of other cans and am really looking forward to this experience!

Alex
Hey, I'm the one before your turn, Alex. Sorry for the delay in shipping the demo to you, I just got through a rough week with customer complains.

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #30 of 49
Thanks totally understand!

They were scheduled to be here sat...and we just got back from the mountains and just saw they are out for delivery USPS...so glad it all worked out!! I hope to listen this evening and for a few days and do a review as well and get them on to the next person on the tour.

Alex
:>)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back