This is my thought of Grado Hemp. To start, my gear list:
-A&K SR25
-iPod classic
-Chord Hugo 2
-Senn HD 6xx
-ATH AD1000x

_DSC1633.jpg

-The box:
The open-box experience is not much to say, the package is minimalistic, which is padded nicely with soft material. Only one complaint is Grado should make a space for the cable to relax instead of a sharp folded that gonna leave a mark permanently.
IMG_4608.jpg

-Headphone material:
Grado Hemp smell superb. This is the one in a tiny list of headphones that gives a chill when I try to smell them. Thanks to hemp & marble woods combination, each individual unit will have a unique pattern. On top, the headband is made by soft-touch leather that comfy enough without hurting me after wearing 5 hrs straight. And move down to the Grado's traditional adjustment mechanism, it's simple and easy to adjust without taking off or move your glasses, but it will be loose from time to time.
-Sound:
Oh, I love the bass on Grado Hemp. No overkill, no oversaturated, it's simple with good deep, good impact, good amount without stress your ear. I believe Grado means to tune this headphone for you to sit down with a glass of whiskey to relax and enjoy your music. Don't get me wrong that the headphone is lack of bass, it just nicely harmonizes with the neutral mid-range and clean soundstage. When I listen to DragonForce's Through The Fire And Flames, the headphone's bass can catch up with the song's tempo, so it's another plus to compare with HD6xx/ATH1000x.
Move to Mid and Treb, IMHO, the mid is natural and ok detail. There is no wow effect for a superb Mid like the AD1000x, but enjoyable. The treb is quite rolled off, even with Hugo2.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #32 of 49
The HEMPS arrived late yesterday and I listened for abit last night, but am starting to rotate thru a bunch of amps and demo material...hope to wrote up my experience in a day or two and on to the next reviewer....

Alex

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 49
Well.....the Grado Hemp 420s arrived and I have had a few days to listen to them. I used to own several sets of Grados in the past, the 325i's are the ones I remember most, and the Hemps are a better version of these IMO....I have gone thru many types of headphones, amps, dacs, and cables since owning them so having these Hemps here really is a treat...Thanks to Todd for this loaner tour and being able to try thses cans out.

20200816_103901.jpg
For starters there is no denying that these headphones are "Grados" the house signature or sound is still very much up front and present. To me the big difference is the treble seems a bit less harsh and more easily listenable than my 325is were. Grado indicates the drivers are tuned for these new HEMP wooden composite driver cups. I had a few friends over and we all listened to them and compared them to several other headphones. They included HD 600's, Focal Clears, and Koss Porta Pros....HEDD's.

20200816_103959.jpg

I have a bunch of amps here and we used the Jim Hagerman "TUBA", Schiit Lyr 3, Schiit Jotenheim and a few DIY amps I have built over the years....at 38 ohms and being very efficient it was easy to drive these headphones to ear shattering levels even on a few Samsung S9 phones etc. We found that the TUBA which Jim Hagerman designed to be used with Grados and Senns (low and high output jacks) seemed to "sound" the nicest to our ears. But all the other amps worked very well, its just the TUBA added some musical magic to them. I did prefer the TUBA as said, but the Schiit Jotenheim on low gain was a very nice match....MORE than enough power....the volume control on the Jot only had to be cranked up to 8 to 9 o'clock to be really loud with the Jot.

20200816_104154.jpg

With these Grados, they sound V shaped, although the bass is there, the mids seemed to be emphasized somewhat....with certain musical instruments and human voice this really becomes very apparent. Acoustic guitar from the likes of John Butler was EXCELLENT to listen to:

As was Ben Harpers "Burn ONe Down" the intro bongo drums etc were sublime....(how could you not use a tune like this in a HEMP review!!! :))

Piano was articulate and tonally accurate, the term "ivory keys" come to mind and Kieko Matsui, Billy Barber are awesome to listen to....

Listening to Ben Vaughn, Designs In Music, Smoketree Sernade....was a wonderul light airy experience with the reverb of the studio being felt and heard accurately...slow melodic instrumental, great seperation....very realistic....suprisingly nice....then Bill Whithers Live at Carnegie Hall....him speaking to the audience and the audience responding to the introduction of "Let Me Into Your Life"...the audience moving, caughing, handclaps and Bills wonderful voice front and center....very nice live presentation.

20200816_104106.jpg

I tried some EDM and suprisingly this genre really works well.....made my EDM "son" really smile! All the stattaco synthetic stuff really was done well...sharp, distinct...crisp.

Overall I would categorize these as "thin" sounding when listening to "whole" musical pieces, a orchestral pieces or symphony....the abiltiy to articulate is good, but the overall tonality and presentation just falls behind a set of Focal Clears. But to be fair we are comparing a $420 headphone to $ 1499 headphone....you could ask is the $1499 headphone that much better that the $420 Hemp? Only you can answer that. On some recordings they can come across as a little congested and this is more noticebale with some recordings...like Brandi Carlile's "Until I Die" from her The Story CD.

20200816_104416.jpg

When playing the Beatles re-mastered "The End" from the Abbey Road CD..the drum sequence is really quite good....but really low end notes like below 30hz organ stuff... are there but not like other headphones I use.....The headphones really work well with rock...the old favorites re-mastered are great with these cans....Rolling Stones, Hot Licks, the re-mastered Beatles portfolio, you can hear into the recording studio of George Martin and what it was like to be there with the "boys" way back then...nice reverb.

20200816_104331.jpg

A very positive thing that stands out is the comfort and fit/weight...compared to my 718 gm HEDD headphones....these are like feather light and even with the flat pads they are pretty comforatble compared to the more "scratchy" pads of my old 325i's....and they are very, very easy to remove and changeout....simple....no adhesive or super stretching etc...if you get these you will need to get a set of replacement pads when they get "dirty" from the oils from your ears etc... :>) I did find there is a sweet spot when listening....like I found with other over the ear headphones like the Beyer DT1350's to get the most bass out of them...It took a little fiddeling to find that spot. When there Jamie Cullums's "I Only Have Eyes For You" from the Catching Tales album the bass is right there...tight and full. Fleetwood Macs "I'm So Afraid" Live from their "Very Best" CD has wonderful full bass drums etc..

The sleeping giant in the room that I have not mentioned is the HEMP driver cups. Well they simply are very, very elegant. Wonderful looking and well made. These will become an iconic classic set of Grado headphones for sure.

The cable is substantial, not removable. The ususal 1/4 with a removable adapter to plug these into a smaller phone jacks.

Packaging is typical Grado, small non-descript cardboard box..foam insert thats it. No xtra cable, or carrying pouch...like I mentioned not a detachable cable.

So in conclusion, these cans are typical Grado with some slight improvements on the high end and comfort with the flat pads. No mistaking these are Grados in sound, build and simplicity....VERY different from Focal Clears or HEDDs for sure....the soundstage is not really super wide and is mostly centered. Imaging is good but not as good as with higher end headphones.

If your a Grado sound person, these are indeed worthy of auditioning and seeing if you like the softer upper end....great rock and roll cans still...with a really great flare towards instrumental solos, acoustic guitar and vocals...they do not sound closed in even with the lesser soundstage....due to their trait of still being very clear and clean sounding...

20200816_105655.jpg

I have had several TOTL headphones here and yes I compare to these headphones often costing twice as much or more that these Hemp 420s. And yes I prefer more often than not these upper tier headphones, but this in no way makes these Grados a mediocre headphone. With many genres these Hemps will deliver many hours of music listening pleasure....A person told me to try listening to some "Queen" not my cup of tea, but I did and it was really good! Rock and Roll lives on.

All in all a very nice Grado offering, distinct, and special!

Thanks to Todd for the loaner and a chance to audition!

All the best
Alex

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #35 of 49
FYI to the next person on the list I Priority mailed the HEMPS to you, but for some reason they were shipped back to my address here??

I took the package back to USPS and they said they went to the address and were shipped back to me??

They are resending to the address Todd sent me.

Hopefully you will get these Monday or Tuesday...

Sent Todd an email and tracking number...

Sorry for the delay this is not "normal"

Alex

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #36 of 49
FYI to the next person on the list I Priority mailed the HEMPS to you, but for some reason they were shipped back to my address here??

I took the package back to USPS and they said they went to the address and were shipped back to me??

They are resending to the address Todd sent me.

Hopefully you will get these Monday or Tuesday...

Sent Todd an email and tracking number...

Sorry for the delay this is not "normal"

Alex

Hi Alex,

I just sent you a PM and sent an e-mail to Todd as well. I'm not sure what's going on regarding the shipping, but thank you for the update.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #37 of 49
grado_hemp.jpg

First off - thank you to TTVJ for including me in the review tour!

I've had these for several days now and have been listening for a few hours each day and believe I've reached some conclusions on these.

Source Gear:
Source - Bluesound Node 2i (FLAC files on USB stick from CD rips and Apple Music streaming via Airplay)
DAC - RME ADI-2 DAC
Amp - Massdrop THX 789

Build and Appearance:
These are very pretty with the random patterns from the compressed hemp. I read one of the previous reviewers mention they smelled nice, but to me they smelled mostly like glue (no judgement if that's what you're into). I was kind of hoping for a hint of the devil's lettuce in the aroma, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Still, I don't typically sniff my headphones, so I'm not going to hold that against them. They're smaller and much lighter than I expected them to be. Compared to my Grado PS1000es the sliding adjustment mechanisms are much more effective on these since they're much lighter (the solid metal cups on the PS1000es tend to make them slowly slide down over time).

The pads don't look like they'd be comfortable since they basically put the driver right against your earholes, but appearances can be deceiving and they were easy to forget I was even wearing them while I had them on. The cable is the typical Grado variety as has been mentioned, but it's rather short, and comes terminated with a 3.5mm plug with a 1/4" adapter.

Sound:

This is what really matters isn't it? I'll start my saying my favorite headphones right now are my Monoprice M1570s which, with the Oratory1990 EQ profiles applied and the velour pads, are neutral with a slightly dark tint and relaxed treble, similar to many of the Audeze LCD series.

One of the fun things about trying out a new pair of headphones is getting to listen to music you're familiar with plus trying to find out which genres they're best suited for. I tried a wide variety of albums with these from standards like Jazz at the Pawnshop to some electronic music with Propellerheads' excellent Decksanddrumsandrockandroll, to some classical with Janacek's Sinfonietta, Yo-Yo Ma's recordings of Bach's music for unaccompanied cello, and Bernstein's Mass and Candide, some Kpop (a genre I'm a big fan of) with Hyolyn's latest EP Say My Name, Rothy's EPs Shape of Rothy and Color of Rothy, Dreamcatcher's album Dystopia: The Tree of Language, and the Korean balladeers par-excellence Gavy NJ with their EP See You Again. Plus, I couldn't help but turn on some stoner tunes so I indulged in some high-school nostalgia with Snoop Dogg and with Phish's excellent multi-disc live album Hampton Comes Alive, plus how can you review anything hemp-related without some Willie Nelson, so Stardust had to get some play-time.

Overall I found the Hemps to be one of the most bass-full Grados I've heard, and with perhaps a slightly laid-back character. They do accentuate sibilance in some recordings which are mixed a bit brighter, but are surprisingly forgiving of lower-quality recordings that aren't victims of the loudness wars with artificially boosted highs. I'm a big fan of using EQ and feel it can improve almost any headphone, but these were one of the few that I found sounded great 'out of the box' and didn't need any manipulation. Soundstage is fairly narrow, but imaging was above average, with the hard-panning skateboard sounds in the the intro of Propellerheads' 360 Degrees (Oh Yeah) sliding perfectly through my head.

They really seemed to shine with live material, especially if it leaned towards the rock or jazz genres, these seemed tailor-made for Hampton Comes Alive but with their bass response were no slouch with the classic '90s hip-hop. Modern pop recordings didn't fair as well, with that sibilance rearing its ugly head more often in those.

Midrange didn't feel recessed, but wasn't as lush as I'm used to with my Monoprice M1570s, sometimes leaning into being both aggressive and lean simultaneously, perhaps there's a bit of peakyness in the frequency response there that could be smoothed out through some selective PEQ, but I don't have a measurement rig to test it out. Male vocals fared better than female generally, probably aided by the richer midbass response, but well-recorded female vocals could still be quite beautiful with these.

Comparisons:

Vs. PS1000E:
Maybe not a fair comparison given the price discrepancy, but they were the other Grados I had on hand. The PS1000Es feel more premium with their big chonky metal cups, and the ear-encompassing G-Cusions are more comfortable, but the light weight of the Hemps meant that they don't slowly slide down my head like the PS1000Es do. Despite the smaller driver the Hemps have quite a bit more bass, but the PS1000Es have the edge in terms of a wide soungstage, more precise imaging, and a more refined treble and midrange presentation. Still, the PS1000Es require a bass shelf EQ to really sound pleasing, and the Hemps don't, so point for the Hemps there.

Vs. Koss Portapro: Perhaps an even weirder comparison, but I found myself asking 'Who are these headphones for?' while testing them out. They're on-ear, super light weight, relatively efficient, with a short 3.5mm terminated cable - they seem like they're being aimed at portable use. Of course, in typical Grado fashion they seem to project more sound out of the outside of the earcups than the inside, and they isolate nothing at all, so I wouldn't suggest these for use in a shared office space or on public transport, but the Portapros are also open-back headphones designed for portable use, so it's not an unheard of market sector. Sure, these cost more than 10x as much as the Portapros, but I found their sound signatures were remarkably similar but with the Grado showing more extension in the highs and greater definition all around. As many people search for the 'Super HD650' (with everything from the Focal Elex to boutique models like the Aurorus Borealis claiming to fill that role) these may be the 'Super Portapros'. If you're looking for a portable open-back headphone that has satisfying bass and greater technical capability than what Koss has on offer and are willing to spend considerably more than $35, these could be right up your alley.

Conclusion: I enjoyed my time with the Hemps quite a bit. Of all of the Grado headphones I've heard they have the most agreeable tonality out of the box. I could see them finding a place in my collection for when I want to listen to some jam bands or live jazz, though with the treble being a bit too aggressive on modern pop and a touch of shoutyness in non-impeccably recorded female vocals they likely wouldn't replace my M1570s as my every-day choice.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #38 of 49
I‘ve had these ready to go to the next person in the list for a few days, just waiting in the shipping address so I can send them out.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #41 of 49
Sep 28, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #43 of 49
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #44 of 49
Did any of the prior reviewers reshape the headband on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back