Grado headphones for iPod
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ian111

New Head-Fier
New member here and have been learning a lot.

I currently listen to my 6th Gen iPod with low quality mp3 files through my Grado SR60i and recently purchased a Fiio E6.  I'm thinking of going up the ladder a bit to the SR225i and basically hoping to retain the same sound with a bit wider soundstage, tighter bass, and more detail.  I could go up to the RS2i but I'm thinking what's the point with low quality source material.  I also read the RS2i can be a bit shrill in the treble dept which is also what I read about the SR325i's.  The Sennheiser Momentum has caught my eye but I'm thinking its better suited for current pop/hip hop music.

I mostly listen to "alternative", classic rock, 70's punk, 80's new wave, honkytonk, blue grass, some 80's metal, vocal jazz, and classical/baroque/Italian opera.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

You're not going to get wider sound stage or more detail really. I find my Grados from the SR60i to the SR325i sound too similar. Small differences in treble, but mostly, they all sound so similar to me that it's almost silly. And I've yet to find a Grado that has "sound stage" in the prestige series, they all sound pretty stereo, it's their design and their signature sound actually.

What pads are you using? L-cush?

At this point, I would say you should probably look to non-Grado headphones for what you're after. Just keep your SR60i's and enjoy them when you want to. For what you're looking for, maybe consider something else (perhaps: Ultrasone HFI 780, Brainwavz HM5, AKG K550, Shure SRH840, Beyer DT770).

Very best,

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 4
I agree with Mal on the Prestige line and being very 2D in their presentation - the RS series fix that, but they're nothing I'd use mobile or with garbage files. :xf_eek:

If you want a bigger, spacious, wide, etc soundstage, you'll need to look elsewhere. Ultrasone would be my top pick there, like the HFI-2400. Or AKG, like the K701, but this may not play so nice with the iPod.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Mal,

I've been looking into the cans you suggested and so far the AKG K550 seems to be the most promising.  I was hoping for well informed opinions by coming here and I got it.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back