Grado GS2000e Loaner program
Nov 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #151 of 216
Well here is my promised review...

Introduction & Associated Equipment - First I would like to thank Todd and his Company for making this tour possible.  It is a very generous offer and a large part of what makes Head-Fi a community worth spending time at.  I spent a little over 35 hours with the GS200e headphones in my time with them, so I believe I was able to get a decent handle on what they bring to the table.  The packaging is the typical Grado pizza box, I don't think anything more is necessary or desired.  The headphones themselves  are also typical Grado.  Large mahogany cups with an inside maple insert.  I really like the metallic purple driver visible through the screens.  The mahogany is a dense wood, with no really visible grain structure, it has what looks to be a light oil finish.  The wire is thick, but with the usual Grado plastic coating and plastic Y splitter.  It uses the standard G cush pads.  This review model was the balanced version.  Since all my equipment is single ended, I used the supplied adapter for all testing.  It also included a nice matching heavy wire extension.  After checking to see that it did not change the sound (it didn't), I used this for all testing as well.  Overall, typical Grado look and feel.  I do however think that for your $1400.00, they should have dressed it up a little; maybe a nice cloth wrapped wire and a wood splitter?  Something to make it a little different then the normal models.  The equipment I used for this review is: Woo Audio WA6SE (NOS International ServiceMaster 6EW7 & Emission Labs 5U4G), MAD Ear+ (NOS Sylvania 12B4A & NOS RCA 5751 Triple Mica Black Plate).  Sources were primarily the Music Hall MMF 7.1 with Dynavector 10x5 & Musical Surroundings Phenomena II.  Digital Source was a Auraliti PK100 driving a Schiit Bifrost upgraded to their newest Delta-Sigma DAC.  I also directly compared it to my Grado HF-2, GH1/G & Homebuilt Mahogany  Cupped Magnum V5 drivers headphones.

Music

Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat (LP): This is the boxed 45 RPM 20th Anniversary edition by Cisco Music.  I consider this record to be the best recorded and mastered album in my collection.  It sounded great and was very dynamic.  In the live version of Joan of Arc, the audience noise was interesting.  I could discern more of what they said then with the other 3 cans.

Counting Crows, August and Everything After(LP): This is also the 45 RPM version.  The song Omaha starts out with a kick drum.  It has a very well recorded dynamic snap to it.  I was pleased to see that all three cans captured that dynamic feel, the you are on the stage with the band feel.  I did prefer the GFH1 without the G pads for this, you doo loose bass with the bigger pads.  Of course this is not the case with the GS2000e.  The entire album sounded fantastic with the GS200e's, I had a lot of fun listening to it.  Perfect Blue Buildings probably sounded better to me then any headphone I've tried, including my now sold Beyer T1's.

Conclusion - I really liked my time with this headphone.  I'm not 100% sure it was fully broken in, but it sounded very good.  It did everything better then my three other Grado cans, better bass and treble extension, and much better space around instruments.  It also had a better soundstage, it always sounded more open and larger.  In comparing it to the HF-2 (which I quite like), the typical Grado house sound was the same, but the HF-2 sounded more condensed and with a smaller soundstage.  It was not at all subtle.  This was also the most efficient headphone I tried (a good thing with tube amps), volume on both amps was well below 12 o'clock.  Sound wise, I think the HF-2 gave about 85% of what the GS2000e produced.  The Magnum was probably at about 80%, its sound is very similar, but a little darker.  I think that the Magnum has the smallest soundstage of the three.  And this is where you see the diminishing returns.  The HF-2 was less then half the price of the GS2000e and the Magnum build cost even less.  The GH1 was interesting, it had much of the same midrange tonality of the GS2000e.  It was just cut off, it did not extend as high or as low.  I think there are many good headphones in the Grado lineup, and as time progresses, I find myself more drawn to the Grado sound.  There is no question that I will miss these headphone.  I can't afford them now, but it is going to be something I think about purchasing for quite a while.  They really are something very special.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #152 of 216
I received the headphones today. Very very early first impressions.

My first set of huge headphones. While I think the RS2e are somewhat "fashion" headphones, the GS2000e ae downright dorky. Not that I care; it's the sound that matters.

Second, these are not warm. They have significantly pronounced bass than the RS2e, but they still have that Grado brightness (screech?) that some love and some hate. Heavily V shared is my first impression. 

Also, the wire is ridiculously thick in inflexible. For $1400 I expect detachable cables, but I knew what I was getting into.

Comfort: grado good, but my ears to touch the inside of the cans. Time will tell how this affects my opinions of the headphones. 

Very initial bottom line: very promising headphones. I gots lots more listening to do.

I'm using a Mimby and a iFi Pro iCan for these impressions (solid state mode)

Additional thoughts: Tear in Heaven, Unplugged
Very crisp and clear, but vocals and mids are recessed. some sub-bass missing, or it's just light. Eric's voice sound a bit thin 

Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over
Because of the V shape, the bass sounds strong, and the guitar sounds crisp, but the the visceral impact is missing. I first thought to compare to the SDR modded HD800, but the HD800 has more forward mids. Then I got out my early generation T1, and yes, closer to a match. The 2000e does sound fuller than the T1, with better defined bass, but similar treble/detail. 

Ok, that's enough for now. These are very interesting headphones that deserve some real head time.

2016-11-23: Expanding my impressions:
With classical, orchestral, music, there is a fullness missing from the GS2000e that is there with the HD800-SDR. Also, the staging just is better, wider, deeper, and higher, with the Sennheiser. Same observation with the T1. The T1's are fuller and the staging is better with the T1.  

With rock music, the Grados are really crisp and clean, with tight, but light bass than the T1. Using the light bass boost on the iCan helps, but the T1 is funner with unaltered sound.

Switching to the RS2e, the GS2000e definitely has a more neutral sound than the RS2e. The RS2e sounds harsh compared to the GS2000e. Top end is smoother and mids are a bit better and more pronounced with the GS200e. Bass is also tighter and deeper with the GS200e. If you are a Grado fan and not a total treble head (as in, I liking harsher treble), the GS200e is a big step up from the RS2e.

Comfort-wise, the GS2000e is excellent. Very light on the head. The cord is short, but perfect for listening in a chair near the amp (like a computer set up). A really long extension cord is included too. 

Bottomline: once again, many thanks to Todd for this loaner. It's just a great headphone if you like the Grado sound, look and feel. It's better than what I thought was the best Grado, the RS2e, but a almost three times the price. Ain't that the truth, though, about this hobby. Clean, crisp, heading bopping fun cans, best suited for rock and pop. 

One last test. Reverse quarter modded 414's. results: no. bad. don't do it. tin can sound. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #153 of 216
Tracking information indicates that I am scheduled to receive the GS2000e loaner from@allanmarkus today.

I plan to perform my customary 10-feature comparison with pairs of other headphones, resulting in a first, second, and third place ranking for each of the headphones on each of the acoustic features, including transparency, soundstage, treble, and subbass.

Headphones I am considering to include in the various three-way comparisons are:

• Grado PS1000e
  • Grado GH1 with G cush
  • Grado GS1000i (which I find better than the GS1000e)
  • Sennheiser HD800
  • HiFiMAN HE1000

I will likely use my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp driven by my Sony PHA-1 DAC from my PC, as well as my Lotoo PAW Gold DAP, which Grado recommends for their headphones. I plan to use the Sennheiser HDVD800 for the HD800 DAC /amp, and the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp with Schiit Bifrost Multibit Uber DAC for the HE1000.

I welcome any comment and suggestions of comparisons, and you can check my profile for the list of headphones and amps available to me.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #154 of 216
@ruthieandjohn 

I was just thinking yesterday that you had already received the GS2Ke and was wondering where your comparison chart was? Now I know. 
smile.gif
 [size=x-small]Do you think maybe you could slip the PS1K in the [/size]comparisons[size=x-small] as well…I would really like to see where they stand against the GS2Ke in your comparisons/opinion. Enjoy![/size]

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #155 of 216
@ruthieandjohn

I was just thinking yesterday that you had already received the GS2Ke and was wondering where your comparison chart was? Now I know. :smile:  Do you think maybe you could slip the PS1K in the comparisons as well…I would really like to see where they stand against the GS2Ke in your comparisons/opinion. Enjoy!

Sure will!

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #157 of 216
Headphones just arrived!

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #159 of 216
To integrate the incremental material I have been posting as I conducted my comparisons, I combined all the pieces in this thread into a single post.  That post material, in the form of a final review, is here.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #161 of 216
  @ruthieandjohn 

Thank you for the photos and the initial impressions.
Looking forward to more!

Added a three-way comparison of the GS2000e, GS1000i, and PS1000e to my post two above this one.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #162 of 216
So about that chart: I assume that all three G-Cush-stock-Grados were all single-ended? If you have a 4-pin XLR amp, post those impressions with comparisons against your non-Grado stuff.

I do have to agree with your chart almost completely, which is odd...but I will look at that later. :wink:

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #163 of 216
So about that chart: I assume that all three G-Cush-stock-Grados were all single-ended? If you have a 4-pin XLR amp, post those impressions with comparisons against your non-Grado stuff.

I do have to agree with your chart almost completely, which is odd...but I will look at that later. :wink:

All shown so far are single ended. I have two four pin XLR amps, the Sennheiser HDVD800 and the HiFiMAN EF-6. The Sennheiser, optimized for the 300 ohm average impedance of the HD800 headphone, has a 43 ohm output impedance, not so great for the 32 ohm input impedance Grados, as it violates the rule of thumb for dynamic headphones that amp output impedance should be less than 1/8 of headphone input impedance, to provide sufficient damping. The HiFiMAN EF-6 is optimized for the 50 ohm HE-6, so it may be a bit more suited (I have not found a specification for its output impedance, but I would imagine it would be less than 1/8 of the 50 ohms, except that the HE-6 is planar magnetic, not dynamic, and this rule of 1/8 does not apply to planar magnetic.)

I also have a Lotoo PAW 5000 with balanced output AND low output impedance, but it has a smaller-than-1/8" (actually, 2.5 mm) output jack, so I need to find some sort of converter from that to the LLR four pin connector. So far I find one in China that won't arrive for several weeks, long after I turn back the headphones!

Anyway, all that said, I will try some comparison of balanced vs single ended for the GS2000e.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #165 of 216
  @ruthieandjohn 

Seems like the GS2Ke has pulled away nicely from the others…I'm getting the itch now!
Thanks for your comparisons and I'm looking forward to the GS1Ke SE vs balanced.

Just realized that I have a CEntrance HiFiM8, which is a DAC/amp with selectable output impedance (1, 2 and 10 ohms) and balanced, single-ended, and optical outputs.  I drove it with digital input from the Lightening connector of the iPhone 5.

I tried the Grado GS2000e in both single-ended and balanced mode, comparing sounds on both the test music that I use to evaluate soundstage and positional resolution, on orchestral work where a wide angle and variety of instruments are present, and on some smaller-ensemble music where I heard some surprising depth of sources, e.g., drum set with sound having dimension toward/from the listener.

In all cases, I could not distinguish any difference between single ended and balanced.  I could not form a preference because I could not hear any difference.

In the past, when I got a balanced cable for my Sennheiser HD800, I had heard a difference between single ended and balanced, both in tonal quality and in instrument position, on my Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/amp.  So I sort of know what to listen for, but here, I heard no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back