Grado GS-2000e
Mar 1, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #91 of 114
Hi SmileyKo - I am usually sensitive to brightness in the treble range of components. I have not noticed any treble issues at all in the GS2000, unlike a few reviewers.

They were pretty fine out of the box, opened up and focused a bit after an easy burn in. Overall I am very happy with these phones, in every aspect. There is something anomalous going on in the highs that some people are sensitive to.....but I'm at a loss as to what this might be.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #94 of 114

I have a theory that Grado's are voiced to sound their best at low to moderate volumes - 
could it be that those that complain of aggressive Grado highs and sound are listening
at volumes that are fine for some other brands but are too high for these?

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #95 of 114
I have a theory that Grado's are voiced to sound their best at low to moderate volumes - 
could it be that those that complain of aggressive Grado highs and sound are listening
at volumes that are fine for some other brands but are too high for these?

I believe you are totally correct!

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #96 of 114
  Hi SmileyKo - I am usually sensitive to brightness in the treble range of components. I have not noticed any treble issues at all in the GS2000, unlike a few reviewers.

They were pretty fine out of the box, opened up and focused a bit after an easy burn in. Overall I am very happy with these phones, in every aspect. There is something anomalous going on in the highs that some people are sensitive to.....but I'm at a loss as to what this might be.

I am in the exact same boat as you. This is why I like the 2000e and it's so easy to drive. One time I went on the road for 5 days and it's the AQ Red and the 2Ke and it did well. Mojo is great so is the PHA3 I have. No need for real powerful amp. I really think the wood makes a big difference in the tone of this Grado.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #98 of 114
I am in the exact same boat as you. This is why I like the 2000e and it's so easy to drive. One time I went on the road for 5 days and it's the AQ Red and the 2Ke and it did well. Mojo is great so is the PHA3 I have. No need for real powerful amp. I really think the wood makes a big difference in the tone of this Grado.[/Q

Hi. Would anyone know the practical sound differences between GRAdo GS1000 and GS2000 ? Thanks

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #100 of 114
The GS1000e that I owned was very peaky in the treble. The GS2000e that I currently own is much more balanced/linear.
Yes. I didn't have a problem with peakiness exactly of the GS1000, but the 2000 has an elegance and ease - none of the "brightness" that some reviewers mentioned and attributed to maple - along with the usual you-are-there mids, drive, and transparency

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #101 of 114
The GS1000e that I owned was very peaky in the treble. The GS2000e that I currently own is much more balanced/linear.

Thanks. I have Koss ESP-950 electrostatics which when I got it sounded as good as any dynamic headphones I have had. But I'm thinking of getting back into a good dynamic model. I notice the GS 1000 is discointed to around 480 around cyber Monday and in February (according to CamelCamelCamel). I don't know when GS2000 came out - but I can't find any historical pricing info yet. But it seems like the 2000 is the one to go for based on your comments.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #102 of 114
I don't know when GS2000 came out - but I can't find any historical pricing info yet. But it seems like the 2000 is the one to go for based on your comments.

At the risk of stating the obvious, don't go by my one-line review. A lot of people like the GS1000, and for all I know, I had an anomaly. But there was nothing I could do to get it to sound right to my ears. It may have been an "older" GS1000e - it had a black headband. So I don't know if that plays into anything.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #103 of 114
For me, GS1000e. < GS1000i < GS2000e. Check side by side comparisons in the first link n my signature (links within give trios of headphones).

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #104 of 114
Thanks. I have Koss ESP-950 electrostatics which when I got it sounded as good as any dynamic headphones I have had. But I'm thinking of getting back into a good dynamic model. I notice the GS 1000 is discointed to around 480 around cyber Monday and in February (according to CamelCamelCamel). I don't know when GS2000 came out - but I can't find any historical pricing info yet. But it seems like the 2000 is the one to go for based on your comments.

The GS2000e came out around May,2016. I had a pair on showcase at the NY Head Fi meet in June 2016, the first time they were to be heard at a meet. The reception was overwhelmingly positive. They are priced at $1395. I have not as yet seen any for sale on the used market but would expect them at this still early stage to not be sold at any sort of sizable discount, maybe a couple of hundred I would guess. For my taste I find them significantly better with a more balanced and natural sound, bass is also a good step better in all aspects than any series GS1000.

I like my ESP-950 quite a bit but the GS2000e is more dynamic (no pun intended) and spatial in it's presentation.

Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back