Grado GR10?
Oct 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #46 of 56
I frequent ebay and saw the following for $319 OBO.  Not sure how legit the seller is, but if they are indeed brand new and not 2nds, it may save you about about $100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grado-GR10-In-ear-headphones-sweet-/370447419984?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5640630a50

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #47 of 56
An impression from Headroom:

"HeadRoom was the first to premiere the top-of-the-line Grado Labs GR10 earphones at the 2010 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest [RMAF] in Denver and we -- along with lucky festival attendees -- just loved what we heard: an extended, intensely detailed top-end response underpinned by wonderfully punchy bass that positively defines the classic Grado 'signature sound'. Expect slightly more midrange presence than in the less pricey Grado in-ear models, a wonderful thing for audiophile listeners seeking smooth definition and full musical body for jazz vocals and well-rendered modern & classic rock. As typical for Grado, the bass response is engagingly warm and cleanly textural, but without a trace of bloat or boom. The musical clarity and timbral definition of the GR10 should also please classical and symphonic afficionados given its airy soundstage depth -- a great feat for any in-ear monitor -- that allows instruments to 'float' correctly in the room space image. The consistent tonal balance and elegant rhythmic pace of the GR10 sounds ideal for reference-grade or master recordings and provides pristine access into the previously obscured nooks & crannies of your most well-worn favorites, potentially transforming your portable listening into a newly revelatory sonic experience."

Sounds like they have better imaging and depth than the GR8. An interesting description that sounds well and good. BUT, any impressions from people not selling them yet?  The lack of impressions from RMAF is not very encouraging. Unless I just haven't looked in the right places. If people "loved what they heard" I think we might have heard more about them.     

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #48 of 56
HeadRoom is always very accurate and honest with their reviews/descriptions of product and the GR10 makes me drool.  They just received their stock this past Friday.

My pair is shipping tomorrow and I should have on Wednesday.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #49 of 56
I do like how they mention nothing with regards to the stage of the GR8 but with the GR10 they talk of airy, depth, and correct positioning/imaging.

I look forward to the impressions. I did have these in the cart at times and ahead of the SM3 and SA7. The latter two are more open and airy and hopefully the GR10 also has a fairly large soundstage. I have had that housing with the original Mee M2 and I love it. The GR10 throws in the angled relief better for over the ear wearing. They are probably first on the list by a slight margin but some confirmation of the performance would be nice.

Again, look forward to your thoughts and good luck with them!

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #50 of 56

Quote:
Even thought the fit might good, i can't help but think that the GR8 and 10's shells look rather cheap...and the printing on them doesn't help at all. Just wanted to point this aesthetic remark thought

Others have thought this as well so I'll tell you all a little story:

I was walking around a couple months ago listening to my amped GR8s, which I love the sound of, and stopped at a food cart for some tamales. I took them out of my ears, set them on my lap, and dug in. I quickly realized I needed hot sauce (John likes his tamales spicy), got up to go get hot sauce, forgot about iems on lap, drug them across the pavement 20 ft, and stepped on both of them crunching them into the asphalt before I realized it. One of them got a small scratch on paint, but is still blue and the other one got a small scuff on the silver ring. That's it. These things are practically indestructible. And they appear to be painted with auto paint. The end.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #51 of 56
Nice build quality, lol!

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 56
I totally agree. wood would have been great on the GR10. haha, kinda like how you can expect real wood and leather interiors in BMW 7 series or Rolls Royce. Wood is classy.
biggrin.gif
Plus its good acoustically. Although Grado would much rather use non-resonating polymers. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #54 of 56
They don't share the same driver. FAD drivers are uniquely made. The GR10 shares drivers with the Ortofon line as they use the same source for their drivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back